Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's in a SIN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rubberduck
I want to include a SIN in a hand-out to my players.

Now, I could just make up a random number, but I like to get my research right when possible.

So.. is there any info on what a SIN looks like? Does it include date of birth? Can sex, metatype at birth or other stuff be discerned from the SIN alone?
CodeBreaker
As far as I am aware there has only been one cannon indication of an actual SIN number, and that was included in Dunkies Will (5T2G-8U6V-PK02). Now the books say that a copper could look at that and determine a fair few things, but I like to think of SINs more as a database referance that pulls up a LoneStar file or some such that includes all that information.

I tried writing up what I imagined a SIN file might look like, but then I got bored half way through and decided against it, this is what I did at the time (But it is just that, something I did when I was bored)

[ Spoiler ]

For those who are interested I did it like so: First 4 digits show Corporation/Nation the SIN was issued in, 2nd four digits show Metatype and DOB, and then the last 4 are just stuff.
Tiger Eyes
Unwired goes into what is in a SIN and ID. A SIN contains birthdate, birthplace, and other data, and is generally linked to basic biometric data, such as a DNA sample, retinal scan, and fingerprints. Your ID contains a lot more data, such as metatype, gender, age, name, etc. Note that few countries or corps upload the biometric data to the Global SIN database (why would a corp, at least, give up propriatory DNA info? Yes, your genes do belong to them....). A SIN is not just alpha-numeric.
Bob Lord of Evil
For my games I have always treated the SIN as a routing number that contains some basics information like a SSN. The first three digits of a SSN give you the state that the person was born and the year. My sense of a SIN is that they don't centralize the information as much for virtual security reasons as for the number of borders (National and Corporate) that the data crosses. If you have to hack into a dozen plus secure sites to alter/delete data the chances of getting caught are going to rise considerably. Also, if that SIN gets a hit and conspicuous sections of data are simply missing that would be a flag that somebody is trying to erase/alter it.

Again, this is just my interpretation of SINs and how I use them in my games.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (rubberduck @ Jun 20 2009, 06:42 AM) *
I want to include a SIN in a hand-out to my players.

Now, I could just make up a random number, but I like to get my research right when possible.

So.. is there any info on what a SIN looks like?

Yes.

Does it include date of birth?

Yes.

Can sex, metatype at birth or other stuff be discerned from the SIN alone?

Yes.

Is there a Canon formula for doing any of the above? Not a chance in drek.

SR4, P.259; What's In a Sin:

The actual numbers that compose a SIN are generated by a complex formula from several pieces of personal data. What this means is that law enforcement officials can determine your birthdate, state or country of origin, citizenship, and initials from your SIN.

Here is the one SiN I have seen printed in the books: 29Δ7–36fΔ972-lk83◊0mv
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 20 2009, 10:38 AM) *
For my games I have always treated the SIN as a routing number that contains some basics information like a SSN. The first three digits of a SSN give you the state that the person was born and the year. My sense of a SIN is that they don't centralize the information as much for virtual security reasons as for the number of borders (National and Corporate) that the data crosses. If you have to hack into a dozen plus secure sites to alter/delete data the chances of getting caught are going to rise considerably. Also, if that SIN gets a hit and conspicuous sections of data are simply missing that would be a flag that somebody is trying to erase/alter it.

Again, this is just my interpretation of SINs and how I use them in my games.

Emphasis mine.

This used to hold true, but these days, it doesn't seem to any more. I saw a lot of "weird" variations when I was... doing another job.
Hagga
There's one in Corporate Enclaves, I believe. It shows a sin and tries to decypher it - the first two numbers indicate the corp you were born in.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jun 20 2009, 07:47 PM) *
There's one in Corporate Enclaves, I believe. It shows a sin and tries to decypher it - the first two numbers indicate the corp you were born in.

I just peeked through my copy (Search: SIN in a PDF is a joy) and didn't find it. Are you sure which book it was in? The one I snipped was from Runner's Companion. It's in one of the stories at the end.
Hagga
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 21 2009, 02:10 AM) *
I just peeked through my copy (Search: SIN in a PDF is a joy) and didn't find it. Are you sure which book it was in? The one I snipped was from Runner's Companion. It's in one of the stories at the end.

No, I'm not. I checked Unwired and it doesn't seem to be there, but there was a comment in a corporate style section stating how you're a second class citizen according to your SIN - after all, you were born in a different corp. Who knows when you might change again?
rubberduck
So basically I can just make something up. Alrighty.
Bob Lord of Evil
QUOTE (rubberduck @ Jun 21 2009, 09:00 AM) *
So basically I can just make something up. Alrighty.

Yes you can. grinbig.gif
DV8
I treat a SIN much like an alpha-numeric SSN and doesn't hold much information in and of itself, but is just the key upon which many, many, many databases are tied together. So a general search can pull up anything ranging from your criminal record, real estate holdings, bank accounts, starbucks store card credit, etc.
PBI
Of course, if the SR SIN is similar to Canada's SIN, then the numbers do mean something about geographical location smile.gif The bottom line, though, is, make up your own system smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012