Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Vampires need to drink or sleep?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
That they are incapable of eating is clear, but do they need water? Is the blood enough liquid? And is somewhere mentioned if they need to rest?
BookWyrm
AFAIK, the vampire cannot consume food, so both solids and liquids are right out. Blood (and Essence) take over all nutritional functions for the Infected person.

Also, since Sunlight is an Allergy (Moderate), they would tend to be nocturnal (like bats and owls), with an appropriate sleep cycle. I believe they can be somewhat active during daylight hours, as long as they are not exposed to sunlight.
Starmage21
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 20 2009, 04:18 PM) *
AFAIK, the vampire cannot consume food, so both solids and liquids are right out. Blood (and Essence) take over all nutritional functions for the Infected person.

Also, since Sunlight is an Allergy (Moderate), they would tend to be nocturnal (like bats and owls), with an appropriate sleep cycle. I believe they can be somewhat active during daylight hours, as long as they are not exposed to sunlight.

Whatever rules are already in place for exhaustion and such should already be in play, and affect the vampires normally. However, I think that those rules deal stun damage, and are going to mean little to a regenerating vampire.
Eimi
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jun 20 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Whatever rules are already in place for exhaustion and such should already be in play, and affect the vampires normally. However, I think that those rules deal stun damage, and are going to mean little to a regenerating vampire.

While they may not, going by that interpretation, strictly need to sleep, I'd imagine it still feels good to sleep, and not sleeping for an extended period of time would render them rather irritable, amongst other things.
toturi
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jun 21 2009, 06:20 AM) *

According to the Changes Reference document, SR4A has Sleep Deprivation as a Toxin. Guess what? Vampires have Immunity to Age , Pathogens and you guessed it, Toxins.

Which is not surprising since the Endure genetic infusion integrating perfectly could produce nearly the same effect.
nezumi
My general ruling is that vampires are still living (albeit, infected) animals. They live off of magic, but there's still some sort of metabolizing that goes on there. They do drink, but more to keep the vitals well lubricated than for the traditional combination of C6H12O6 + H20, although how much they drink is probably greatly reduced (and perhaps could be entirely from the liquid in the blood they get. If they don't drink blood for a while, I have to imagine water is good to help keep the skin supple and prevent that ugly, dessicated look.)

They would need sleep as well, because all living things sleep. I'm not aware of any creature in SR from our plane which doesn't sleep, so I wouldn't be eager to assume these creatures suddenly don't sleep. They could, likely, do with less sleep, because their processes are different (slower 'metabolism'), but no sleep would be a bit of a stretch.
Eleint
A Sleep Regulator makes you sleep only 3 hours. I don't see a major issue with allowing vampires to not sleep, myself.
Neraph
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 20 2009, 03:18 PM) *

They don't have the Nocturnal quality, so they're just normal people. Normal people can be night people or day people, whichever. Vampires (and other Allergy [Sun] creatures) would tend to be more active at night, but with the creation of the Matrix, tinted windows, indoor parking, and a few other things (a drug comes to mind), that would not neccessarily be the case. We've got a thread somewhere about getting around allergies.

I'm not aware of any creature in SR from our plane which doesn't sleep, so I wouldn't be eager to assume these creatures suddenly don't sleep.

*cough cough* Spirits *cough cough*.

Seriously though, I do think vampies have to sleep. Just because you're now Awakened as a vampire doesn't mean you don't need to sleep. (drum roll)
Dumori
Yeah but there are NO mechanical reasons no sleep same with immortal elves. If i dont sleep I get sleep deprivation that's a toxin witch they are innume to also this meant one could get gen therapy to remove the need to sleep.
Machiavelli
Ok, then lets check a little extersion to the topic: How about a vampire with the "sustenance"-adept-power? Does he gain more essence from a victim or does his essence drop slower than the average point per month?
Dumori
I would say they just need less blood not essence.
nezumi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 21 2009, 11:08 AM) *
*cough cough* Spirits *cough cough*.

Spirits aren't from our plane. They're from the plane of whatever particular element they represent. This is why it takes an astral quest to deal with a spirit who has been banished, because he's returned to his home plane.
Neraph
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 21 2009, 01:25 PM) *
I would say they just need less blood not essence.

/agree.

However, a Mystic Adept with the Sustenance power, Nutrition, and Crank (as well as a good Intuition, Willpower, and Body) will never have to eat or sleep again; he'll only have to deal with Essence. One cast of Nutrition and Crank a day and you're good.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 22 2009, 12:22 AM) *
/agree.

However, a Mystic Adept with the Sustenance power, Nutrition, and Crank (as well as a good Intuition, Willpower, and Body) will never have to eat or sleep again; he'll only have to deal with Essence. One cast of Nutrition and Crank a day and you're good.

I hope he's got despotic power over a small town, because he'll need a couple points of essence every WEEK to sustain that many addictions. I don't care how high your Willpower is, those addiction tests get harder every time you indulge.
Neraph
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jun 22 2009, 11:21 AM) *
I hope he's got despotic power over a small town, because he'll need a couple points of essence every WEEK to sustain that many addictions. I don't care how high your Willpower is, those addiction tests get harder every time you indulge.

That is not found in the rules. It might be suggested, but it is not RAW. Technically, with a Body 4, Wil 4, Int 4, you can auto-pass all addiction tests to standard drugs by buying two successes. And I don't want to get into another debate about "but but, but that's wrong!". It's allowed withing the rules, and up to GM discretion, and let's leave it at that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012