Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karma for Cash
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
I know there had been a topic about this, but the search-function doesn´t work at the moment. So i reopen this topic here and ask you, my chummers, if you use this (or the reversed) option and if you use it, how you handle the rule.

- How much does a point of karma cost?
- How many can you purchase per run?
- Can everybody use this option or only the ones that really need it (magical active)?
Maelstrome
normally i run it at 10k to 1 karma but last game was a little nuts with 5k to 1 karma. it really depends how generous you are with both. if you give 5-15k a run i would say 5k is fine. if you give much more than that adjust accordingly.
Prime Mover
I've actually allowed this too due to the fact we only meet once every two weeks. 5k to 1karma, with a once per session limit.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr's Karma Character Generation Rules)
Optional Rule: Gamemasters may allow Karma <-> Nuyen exchange during game play. The conversion rate is 1 Karma per 2,500 Nuyen, or 2,500 Nuyen per 1 Karma. This can be explained as good luck with the lottery (Karma to Nuyen), donating funds & time to a cause (Nuyen to Karma), or anything else that feels appropriate for the character. Characters may only exchange 1 Karma or 2,500 Nuyen per game session this way. Gamemasters may allow an increased number of such exchanges in sessions with extended downtime, at their discretion.

I use it at once per in-game week.

QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Jun 22 2009, 12:01 PM) *
normally i run it at 10k to 1 karma but last game was a little nuts with 5k to 1 karma. it really depends how generous you are with both. if you give 5-15k a run i would say 5k is fine. if you give much more than that adjust accordingly.

A run should pay ~2,500:nuyen: for each Karma earned, to maintain balance between Mundane & Awakened/Emergent. Thus, a run should pay ~20,000 per character, post-expenses, as of SR4A (suggested 8-9 Karma award).

In line with this, Nuyen <-> Karma trade should be 2,500 <-> 1
Eleint
I haven't seen this. Is this an official optional rule somewhere that I missed, or just ported from SR3? I'm curious -- I might use it if so. smile.gif
Dragnar
I heavily advise everyone to allow cash for karma and vice versa, because it's patently impossible to give out rewards that every player needs equally. Awakened character guzzle up karma, but don't need that much money, while street sams are exactly the opposite. So you will screw some of you players, regardless of how you handle you personal karma:cash reward ratio.

And as muspellsheimr mentioned, 2500 nuyen.gif per 1 point of karma would be the "mathematically correct" ratio, if you care.
tsuyoshikentsu
I use nuyen.gif2,500 = 1 Karma for the simple reason that Karmagen uses it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012