Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cabral
I've been thinking about some character concepts that have minions.

A Merc Leader would have merc reports
A Gang Leader would have gang members
A Cult Leader would have cultists (though the obligations to the Cthulu could be the Day Job)
A Pimp/Madam would have prostitutes/gigolos (again could be represented by Day Job - Bunraku could be handled through full body clone costs though)

So, anyone run something like this? How did you handle it?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 24 2009, 06:26 PM) *
I've been thinking about some character concepts that have minions.

A Merc Leader would have merc reports
A Gang Leader would have gang members
A Cult Leader would have cultists (though the obligations to the Cthulu could be the Day Job)
A Pimp/Madam would have prostitutes/gigolos (again could be represented by Day Job - Bunraku could be handled through full body clone costs though)

So, anyone run something like this? How did you handle it?

One of the characters in our game has just taken over a minor Triad... we are now awaiting the good times that are sure to happen... I am looking forward to how it plays out...
Doc Chaos
I try to run my campaigns to avoid things like this - like the devil avoids the church, actually. Its a pain in the ass, you have to work out an entire set of NPCs and a hirarchy and personalities for all types your players encounter regularly. Dont do it. You will rest easier at night. Trust me.
Machiavelli
Minions? I like minions. As soon as i am infected and changed to a banshee, i want to have a lot of ghoul-minions. Yeah!!! Nice idea.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 25 2009, 12:23 PM) *
Minions? I like minions. As soon as i am infected and changed to a banshee, i want to have a lot of ghoul-minions. Yeah!!! Nice idea.

Well then remind me to NEVER get on your bad side.
Chibu
It's not really a problem... Hell, we do it all the time. In second edition, there's an entry for "buy a gang: 50K".

We use it for all sorts of things; Magical groups, workers for your business, a fixer's network, and of course actual street gangs. Sure, it technically makes more NPCs. But it also makes for cool character interactions. Basically, they're just like the gangs in the books. Now, these NPCs shouldn't be as good as the runners or anything. they are definitely 'Street' level characters. Therefore, I might say that a Merc squad might not really be feasible. Unless they're crappy mercs. And these characters should only be 'kind of loyal' to the PC. They should not be loyal to the point of death. While they should help the PC when asked (usually), they should not willingly sacrifice themselves, even if they're stupid cultists. This is mostly for game balance.

Generally in an actual gang, the PC would be the Leader, with 2-3 Lieutenants each with 5-10 members under them, depending on the general power level of the campaign. This can be taken out of hand if the GM lets it, however, it's not been a problem for my group.
Heath Robinson
I've also been waiting for this. I want to play the cybersurgeon with his brainwashed pets.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 09:35 AM) *
It's not really a problem... Hell, we do it all the time. In second edition, there's an entry for "buy a gang: 50K".

We use it for all sorts of things; Magical groups, workers for your business, a fixer's network, and of course actual street gangs. Sure, it technically makes more NPCs. But it also makes for cool character interactions. Basically, they're just like the gangs in the books. Now, these NPCs shouldn't be as good as the runners or anything. they are definitely 'Street' level characters. Therefore, I might say that a Merc squad might not really be feasible. Unless they're crappy mercs. And these characters should only be 'kind of loyal' to the PC. They should not be loyal to the point of death. While they should help the PC when asked (usually), they should not willingly sacrifice themselves, even if they're stupid cultists. This is mostly for game balance.

Generally in an actual gang, the PC would be the Leader, with 2-3 Lieutenants each with 5-10 members under them, depending on the general power level of the campaign. This can be taken out of hand if the GM lets it, however, it's not been a problem for my group.

SR4 has Group Contacts, which are similar. I do miss just having a Gang though - much simpler to manage.

-paws
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 25 2009, 12:41 PM) *
Well then remind me to NEVER get on your bad side.
Naaaaaaaaay, no problem. If you don´t play an gay russian orc-sam, you don´t get a problem with me.^^ I need the ghouls just for my privacy.^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012