Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stupid/brutal.....but funny
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
resident-security-expert
GM: you turn the corner and you spot a guard through the bullet proof glass down the end of the corridor. he looks up.

'elf Quickness 14 - str 8 - wearing medium military armor "sparky"

sparky: how far away is the window?

GM: quite a ways

sparky: im going to run at the glass full pelt and do a drop kick through the window to kill the guard using my martial arts skill

Gm: .......o...k with your quickness you make the distance in no time, even with the armor on....

sparky: OH crap that glass is really hard isnt it?!

GM: * evil grin * u have stated your action already.

sparky: as im flying through the air i fire a burst from my heavy pistol.

GM: ok roll it.

sparky:.....i get (GM's jaw drops open) 2 24's a 14 and 2 5's and a bunch of 3's

GM: ok you sick freak the bullets hit exact points in the glass and weaken it considerably now roll your kick

sparky:.... ok first roll only 1 die wasnt a 6 out of 8 - all the Pc's cant believe thier eyes, GM's head hits the table. 3 16's 2 12's---

GM: ok...(takes a moment) you fly through the glass as if it was tissue paper and collect the guard on the way through... (rolls dodge...*curses* rolls body *curses more*) oh yeah hes dead.

players: HELL YEAH!!

GM: (makes some secret rolls) and some cursing noises -- ok the guard asleep on the cot in the corner hears nothing and remains fast asleep, sparky roll reaction.

sparky: makes rolls

GM:...ok...you have 10 turns before he even gets a chance to wake up what do u want to do?

sparky: *thinks for a moment* im gonna roll perception (rolls) what do i see in the room

GM: the room is pretty bare there is a desk at the end of the guards cot and a bunch of security consoles etc. in the room

sparky: ok im gonna jump onto the desk and make a called shot on his junk, and ill take 4 turns aiming.

players begin to giggle hysterically

GM: i hate you u know that...ok roll it

sparky:...oh yeah hes boned (alot of 6's)

GM: *shakes his head* (rolls body) all fails ferkin fantastic ok with 14D damage you leap off the desk and stamp down on his tackle, the blow is so great that your foot goes completely through him and into the floor, the guard doesnt even have time to cry out in pain....you kill him.... and its going to take you (rolls) 3 turns to remove your foot from his body.

sparky: sweet

GM: i did mention i hate you right?

sparky: you did.

Chibu
rofl, nice.
Machiavelli
SR3, isnĀ“t it?^^ Good old times

Did i mention an old run we had, where we were pursued by a yellowjacket that flew in low altitude through the streets and i threw an orc-kid in his rotors?^^
resident-security-expert
yeah SR3

and my god your just delictibly evil...i like

i got a few more stupid runs we did from a while back, just gotta ask the GM what the hell happened again im a bit shadey on the details
Stahlseele
Ah, yes SR3 . . The closest to Exalted/DND Style Stupid feats you will ever come in SR ^^
resident-security-expert
did a run recently where one of the mages did a disguise on the female human looking cha 6 dwarf sammy to make her look like a demonic hosebeast with horns, epididdimusi etc. protruding from her body and smoke grenades to finish off the effect, (we had to take a couple of high ranking people from a certain organisation alive and film them doing undescribable sex acts to all manner of things that i wont get into, they had chips or something in thier brains we could re-program) when she went in the GM had them all roll will to stop them from filling thier pants with bowel pudding...long storey short they all failed and we did our job with ruthless efficiency.
Cheops
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 25 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Ah, yes SR3 . . The closest to Exalted/DND Style Stupid feats you will ever come in SR ^^

Only because he rolled a crap load of 6's. This is actually much more likely to happen in SR4. (With the caveat of not knowing the character build more fully)
Prime Mover
I ran through plate glass once...very painful and the scars suck.
Stahlseele
I "accidentally" Punched through a glass door . . Bruises/Lacerations hurt like a bitch, but no cuts . .
Other time i "accidentally" kicked through another glass door . . My Jeans got cut up pretty bad O.o
DWC
Odd. I fell backwards through one while wrestling with my cousins back in junior high and none of us had a mark on us.
Cheops
I put my arm through a decorative glass door on my 17th birthday. Wasn't that strong but boy did it fragment and cut. Still got the scars.
Kerenshara
Um...

Reminds me of a Troll Sammie named Gossamer I played back in 2nd Ed. Initiative was 18+5D6, if that tells you anything.

We were undercover as sped wrestlers, and the physads on the other side have already kicked the drek out of two of my party members, and now it's my turn.

GM: "Roll for initiative."

*Dice clatter.*

GM: "YES! 33!"

Me: "Um... 44."

GM: "What? Oh... ok, what do you do?"

Me: I take a swing at him, no combat pool.

*Dice roll, and GM pales and blows the guy's entire dice pool, then looks up with a grin.*

GM: "He dodges!"

Gossamer:
"WHAT?!"

Me: "Okay... half the combat pool and I swing again on 34, for non-lethal damage."

*Dice roll and GM just stares at my dice, then rolls body and does a little math before looking up at me in horror.*

GM: "You stage up from stun clear through overdamge and kill him instantly."

Me: *just looks at GM*

Gossamer:
*looks up from FBM (Fine Bloody Mist) at the other wrestler* "Oops... Next."

GM: "He turns and runs away."

Me: "I chase him."

GM: "He's fast."

Me: "My Quickness is 14, and I get an extra 6 dice on running..."

GM: *sighs* "Please just let him go..."

Crowd: *Cheers the bloodshed in the ring, hungry for more.*

Gossamer: *Turns to rest of the party and shrugs sheepishly* "Oops."
Chibu
Uhm... You had a Move-by-Wire 4 system? That's just silly.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Uhm... You had a Move-by-Wire 4 system? That's just silly.

Nope, check the original MBW rules - you could combine it with the original Synaptic Accelerators Lv 1 if you implanted them at the same time. *grin* Pure cheese, but it was a SERIOUSLY OP Monty Hall game.
Ravor
Although I realize I'm wasting my breathe, I feel it is important to remind people that Fourth Edition is only full of broken cheese if you play with high dicepools, at the lower end it runs fairly reasonably.
Cheops
But to say that only crazy stuff like that can happen in 3rd edition is also false. Was just pointing that out grinbig.gif
Ravor
Agreed.
resident-security-expert
ok sparky's build

pistols 9
drive 'car' 11
security systems 9
security procedures 9
security devices 8
build/repair car 7
build repair gunsmithing 8 (think thats what its called havnt played him in a while)
martial arts (wildcat) 8
stealth 9
few others that are for role playing value and some i cant remember

stats

body 6
quickness 14
str 8
cha 6
int 9
will 7

reaction 11

init. dice 3
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 26 2009, 01:36 AM) *
Although I realize I'm wasting my breathe, I feel it is important to remind people that Fourth Edition is only full of broken cheese if you play with high dicepools, at the lower end it runs fairly reasonably.

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 26 2009, 01:59 AM) *
But to say that only crazy stuff like that can happen in 3rd edition is also false. Was just pointing that out grinbig.gif

QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 26 2009, 02:07 AM) *
Agreed.

Lets just say that any game starts acting weird at the upper end of the numbers...
Ravor
True, but Fourth Edition is pretty bad due to the Fixed Target Number system.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Fixed TNs, but they simply doesn't scale well.
Stahlseele
Well, with changing TN's you could accomplish some silly stupid stuff.
There were means and ways to more or less reliably lower your TN for certain things to 2 and below if you were feeling frisky in SR3.
Wretch
haha this was awesome!
toturi
SR3: Meet goes bad. It is a setup but the J's intel's not as good as he thinks.

The J ducks down and out of the way. Bodyguards open fire at the druid, trying to geek the mage first.

Druid takes the shots without so much as a wound (Immunity to Normal Weapons - Hidden Life). Corp Mage tries to cast spell at the Druid. Druid is using entire spell pool as spell defense. Druid points. Troll archer fires his anti-tank arrows. Corp Mage goes down as an arrow splits his skull in two. GG, Mr J.

They were one half of the team that I ran SOTF through.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 26 2009, 06:04 PM) *
True, but Fourth Edition is pretty bad due to the Fixed Target Number system.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Fixed TNs, but they simply doesn't scale well.

And the fact that every 6th step in a d6 based "scaled DC" system is meaningless? If 6's "explode", then a TN6 is IDENTICAL to a TN7, because the LEAST you can roll and add to the pre-existing 6 is a 1, which is 7. Repeat every 6th increase. I think I'll take the current system. It tells a story better, and if you look at the DESCRIPTIVE effects of the "thresholds", even with insane dice pools, they look pretty good. Remember, average hits = 1/3 of dice pool, and "bought" pools = 1/4. So if you have (somehow) 24 dice, you can only "buy" 6 hits, or roll an average of 8. If it's any kind of opposed roll, you'll lose a couple of those. And with the new thresholds coming in SR4A, losing more than two of those six hits means you missed the top rung. Compared to the older editions or (worse) something like DnD 3.0/3.5, the target numbers scale VERY well for my tastes.
Ravor
And your point is? I never claimed Floating TNs were perfect either, but they do scale better then Fixed TNs.
Critias
It's amazing how a story about a ridiculous drop-kick to the gonads to kill someone can turn into a "fixed TNs suck" versus "TN 7 sucks" argument.
Jaid
am i missing something about shadowrun d8 that didn't fix the floating TN problem with 7, 13, 19, etc?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 27 2009, 12:19 PM) *
And your point is? I never claimed Floating TNs were perfect either, but they do scale better then Fixed TNs.

My point was just that "scalability" in either version has some odd bumps and baubles.
Ravor
Actually what I think is really funny is the fact that at lower dicepools I prefer Fixed TNs.
Dikotana
My group uses a homebrew system that has semi-fixed TNs that scale with the lunar calendar. We have to use two decks of cards and 2d8 for each d10 rolled, but it balances perfectly!
Cheops
I had a player once who thought that a gnome physad with 2 monowire yo-yos would be a cool concept. The yo-yos had lights in them and he performed shows under the street name "Mr. Sparkles." Somehow this creature was able to make it through to the end of Brainscan and was trying to get out of the Arcology along with everyone else. They made it to a security control room where they were going to use the cameras and maps to figure a way out. However, there were 2 anthroform drones holding shotguns defending the place. At this point the gnome is using cable and electrical wire as his whips.

Mr. Sparkles: Is the shotgun welded to their hands?
GM: What do you mean?
Mr. Sparkles: Are they holding them or is it built in?
GM: They're holding them.
Mr. Sparkles : Okay I try to disarm them with my whip.
GM: You're going to try and disarm a drone with some wire?
Mr. Sparkles: Well they're only holding them so I should be able to.
GM: Theoretically...but I mean they're machines. Their grip is hydraulic or something like that. They're very strong.
Mr. Sparkles: But it can be done so I'm going to try.
(relying on his twinked out pile of dice which was his one-trick wonder. Rolls two big fistfuls and doesn't get a single 6)
GM: Okay you fail to disarm the robot. It turns to you and fires the shotgun. (Rolls dice and stages to something that = instant death)
Mr.Sparkles: (who tricked out dodge as his only other trick, rolls and does pretty well) Okay I manage to get it back down to a point where I'm not dead. I try vaulting over the console to get some cover.
GM: Roll.
(Rolls another double fist full of dice and comes up with nothing.)
Mr. Sparkles: Whu?... I karma pool and try again. (click clack...nada -- no buying successes in SR3 and certainly not in combat)
GM: As nimble as Mr. Sparkles is his experience in the UV host must have affected his jumping ability. You fail to make it over the console and are now in the full blast of the shotgun. Mr. Sparkles is now a gnome pate splattered all over the console. Those of you watching outside what do you do?
Other Players: Uh...we try to find a different way out.

The Mr. Sparkles player ended up storming out of that session upset that he couldn't disarm the drones. Felt that I'd set the TN unfairly high (even after a warning that it'd be tough). There is sometimes a big advantage to Fixed TNs. For silly players like this guy was it is easier to understand the chances behind getting X number of 5s when he sees his dice pool being raped by penalties. When he still gets his 20 odd dice but the TN is in the double digits it is harder to visualize.
hobgoblin
mostly it adds a whole extra level of noise...
resident-security-expert
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 28 2009, 03:33 AM) *
It's amazing how a story about a ridiculous drop-kick to the gonads to kill someone can turn into a "fixed TNs suck" versus "TN 7 sucks" argument.

0.o very true
Blade
Regarding OP's story, I'd have the glass inflict some damage on the character. I don't remember SR3 damage scale good enough to tell which damage code I'd use (anyway with a security armor it shouldn't be a problem). In my games I warn players who wants to jump through a window that we're not in Hollywood and glass shards cut (except if the glass was made not to).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012