Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Question re: Bad Moon Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Naysayer
So, it looks like I'm gonna GM a SR-game tomorrow. I got basically all I need - a run, some plot, the whole nine yards. I'm used to working on the fly, so I got no worries there. What I don't have is a batch of characters for the group. I don't want to lose an entire evening to rolling up some toons with a bunch of first-timers, and although I could fire up a chargen and sketch out a boatload of guys, I feel, especially for someone who doesn't already have a feel for the game, that isn't tangible enough.
There's always the sample characters from the core book, of course, but for my purpose I feel they are a little too generic to just hand over to someone and go "this is your guy for tonight", but at the same time, they're too specific to just say "this is sorta what a [whatever] does, these are his numbers, go nuts!".

So I was considering using the premades from Bad Moon.
What I need now is two things:
First, for you to ignore the sloshy rambling above.
And second, I'd need to know: Are these premades useful? Well-build (meaning, on par with the ones in SR4A, as that's good enough for my purposes)? Do they come with pictures? Are they shiny? Are they useable out-the-box (i.e. do they have condition monitors and all that junk?)

Thanks in advance!
the_dunner
I'm not the most objective source, but
They're not starting characters. Tournament characters are generally 400 BP + a bunch of stuff as necessary for the scenario. Sometimes that bunch of stuff is simply X Karma & Y Nuyen consistently applied. Other times it might be slightly uneven.

They are usable out of the box with two page character sheets that include condition monitors and notes to clarify unusual gear.

They do not come with artwork.
tete
Take the pregens and give them 30 BP to customize.
ShadowPavement
I have a con adventure made up with some pregens. you can find them Here

I'll warn you though that I made the pregens with the Priority system from the Runners Companion.

Paws2sky has an entire thread of archetypes that he made using the priority system and some of them might be just what you need. Here
Naysayer
Thanks for the replies.
paw2sky's stuff is neat, and printer-friendly and ready to go, which is nice. But (!), to the uninitiated (like my prospective players) they are just numbers on a sheet. It's like that Matrix screensaver - where we see an angry troll with wired muscles and a machine gun, they see "Agility 3/5" and stare at you blankly.
The Bad Moon pregens seem to be kind of similar in that regard. A full character-writeup is nice, and should be enough to get the ball rolling with everyone who has even a vague grip on the setting. That's not who I'll be running for. I'm talking (with one exception) total SR-virgins here. One guy did some Vampire once. They aren't even real nerds. Were I to say to them, just for a starter, "imagine Gibson meets Greyhawk", they wouldn't know what the fuck I was talking about. Some gripping artwork would go a long way to rectify that.
Ah well, I guess I was hoping for something like Johnny Clean and Whatstheirfaces from DNA/DOA, only good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012