Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding the powersorce. Help my team out
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lok1 :)
Hey I'm Allen, known to the sixth world as Loki a explosives expert/Hacker with some skills in con and pistols, and I've run into a ingame problem and need a little advice so I don't look like a duche infront of my team.(I already screwed up negations on this run but I have a flawless reputation for getting my part of the plan done)
Character Sheet: http://dndorks.com/characters/viewcharacter725.aspxOk
The Problem:
Hears the situation: My team has come up with a plan for infiltrating a heavly guarded clenic for corporat VIPs.
My part of the run is to insure the power to the complex goes out when my team needs it to.My plan is to do this by useing explosives, I already have 3Kilos and a massive dicepool for setting explosives. I recruted the help of our face who is a skilled infiltrator to help me get into place to set up the bombs, I got some satlite imagery showing the complex. But I havn't any idea where the power is comeing from and I'm not sure how to check of course I can just blow the obvious powelines but I'm betting they have a backup generator and I dont know where its located. Thermal imagrying showed that the place was insulated against it so no money there, is there anyway to outfit a drone to use a scanner that shows elctromagnetic feilds? I've considering getting in as a employing or something but I'd like to avoid it. Its not like I can ask "Hey, I know this is my first day but can you tell me how the power is supplyed to this place and howmany backup generators there are?".
I'm kinda stuck, if you have any advice please give me some before the run, I don't want to be the guy who couldn't pull his part of the run.
Red-ROM
you got a hacker that could get building specs? if you can get in to set bombs, can you lookaround for generators? are they gas generators? you could get sensors to sniff those out... i don't know, theres also probably a few second delay before the back ups come on, what are you killing power for?
Zaranthan
First things first: Welcome to Dumpshock, chummer. Keep your eye on the prize.

Depending on how much time you've got, try hitting your contacts and the matrix for a floor plan of the facility. The fire code inspectors have to get in there on a regular basis, so finding the information is often simply a matter of grease (cash) and patience.

You might be able to sneak in a micro-sized crawler drone or something to check the place out, but I can't think of any EMF sensors to outfit it with. That sort of thing sounds like specialized equipment, available to government surveyors and the like. IRL, I recall having to get my underground electric wires marked in my yard before digging around my septic tank, and they sent a guy with what looked like an electrical dowsing rod to find the wires. The real question is if the facility's power supply would be unshielded enough to be visible to such techniques (separating the field of a high-tension power line from ambient static through the god-knows-how-many inches of plascrete and faraday-cage-paint is easier said than done in an environment as complex as a "corporate VIP clinic").

A sideways question that arises is what sort of "clinic" this place is. If it's a hospital of some sort, the generators will mostly run the life support equipment and a few navigation lights. If it's not, then why would there be backup generators? Burning fuel on-site is really expensive compared to a microwave-transfer satellite feeding off a fusion plant in the next state.
tete
The breaker box is most likely in the Teclo closet or possibly the Dmark. The blueprint will have them if it hasnt been moved. Or you can have your face go in as a repair man and ask...
Lok1 :)
First of QUICK REPLY! These forums are obviously very alive and I look forward to hanging with you chummers.
Hmm, haveing him go as a repairman might work, as for crawler drone I KNOW are rigger would jump at the chance. I'm the team hacker so first I'm guna see if I can get some blueprints, my first attempt at getting floorplans failed. If that dosn't work I'll trying have the face go as the repair man.
W@geMage
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Jun 25 2009, 10:13 PM) *
First of QUICK REPLY! These forums are obviously very alive and I look forward to hanging with you chummers.
Hmm, haveing him go as a repairman might work, as for crawler drone I KNOW are rigger would jump at the chance. I'm the team hacker so first I'm guna see if I can get some blueprints, my first attempt at getting floorplans failed. If that dosn't work I'll trying have the face go as the repair man.

Hi there,

How about you follow and kidnap an actual repairman/technician that works at the place. He should be able to give you the info and maybe some insider passkey/codes. Much less hassle then infiltrating.

Grtz,
WM

PirateChef
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jun 25 2009, 09:50 PM) *
The fire code inspectors have to get in there on a regular basis, so finding the information is often simply a matter of grease (cash) and patience.

Fire code inspectors don't get to look around on corp property.

How long do you need the power out for?
Bob Lord of Evil
You really want to get the complete blueprints for the building.

Problem with explosives though, they tend to be loud. I would suggest RO Blade (it is a flexible linear cutting charge) and place a 1 gallon bag of water over each charge. This reduces the sound of the explosion considerably. All electrical (including backup generators) should run through a bank of main boxes, each box should have a very thick insulated cable going in at the top that is the one to place the RO Blade on, an 1" length will easily do the trick for each cable. RO Blade looks like door insulation and has an adhesive back. The beauty of this type of material is that the explosive turns the embedded copper molten and precisely directs it through what needs to be cut, it is much more controlled as compared to other types of HE materials. Of course, since you already have the explosives you can make use of them, still would suggest the water bags though to muffle the explosions.

The other point that you can look into is if the maglocks on the doors actually disengage during a power outage. IRL, they are programmed fail-safe so that they will, but that doesn't have to be the case for the site in question. See if there is a way to unlock the doors by spoofing the doors along your entrance and exit route with a fire alarm to each door but not the alarms or sprinkler/fire supression system.

Truly paranoid facilities will use local battery backup for security cameras and monitors.

Has the facility been hit recently?
What is your target?
How long do you have to plan?
Any idea what the weather forecast is for the time of the run?
bjorn
QUOTE (tete @ Jun 25 2009, 09:53 PM) *
The breaker box is most likely in the Teclo closet or possibly the Dmark. The blueprint will have them if it hasnt been moved. Or you can have your face go in as a repair man and ask...

I'm going to second this seeing as I'm an electrician. All power, no matter if its from the street or a generator needs to come to a central place and into the electric panel. Eliminating that will eliminate all sources of power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012