Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reality Filters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jake
In previous editions, they gave you a whopping Init boost. In SR4, you get +1 Response after an opposed check. Not +1 Response per net hit... just a single measly +1 to Response.

Can anyone please explain why this exists? If you're playing a TM why in your right mind would you pay build points for this? It is arguably the weakest program/complex form bar none.

- J.
Generico
To be fair, if you lose the test you suffer -1 response so the bonus for winning is effectively +2.

I'd put it down as a casualty of the massive streamlining that made matrix actions compatible with physical actions instead of "what the decker does while we get pizza".

As a quick fix you could apply the same bonus/penalty to matrix perception test representing the familiar/unfamiliar stimulus.
The Jake
Even then, that's still a bit shit.

What about lowering Matrix Perception thresholds by 1, or is that too uber?

- J.
Method
The rationale for a Reality Filter giving a massive initiative bonus has never made sense to me. If the idea is that the symbolism of a sculpted system becomes more recognizable doesn't it make more sense for it to give a bonus to Matrix perception tests?

Edit: Doh! Ninja'd!!
The Jake
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 6 2009, 06:37 AM) *
The rationale for a Reality Filter giving a massive initiative bonus has never made sense to me. If the idea is that the symbolism of a sculpted system becomes more recognizable doesn't it make more sense for it to give a bonus to Matrix perception tests?

Edit: Doh! Ninja'd!!

I don't think it should necessarily give a +IP or anything that massive - I just question the value add of a complex form or program that requires an opposed test to work and only provides a +1 for success but actively penalises you if you fail.

Something halfway decent like bonus dice on Analyze/Browse tests would be fair, or lowering thresholds, etc.

- J.
Generico
I think the reasoning for the initiative bonus is that the player is more familiar with certain sculpting and can react instinctively. The penalty from failure is the processing lag of the filter.

I really like the sound of -1 threshold on perception tho
TheOOB
The fact is, your reality filter doesn't do much. Unwired is pretty clear that the artificial reality of a node cannot conceal anything or restrict you from doing anything. If you can find something, you can just look at the list of objects in the node.

That said, if you change the reality to your native dance club filter, you can have all sorts of tricks designed to make certain things more obvious, like attack programs causing the music to get faster.
Athenor
I've always assumed reality filters are a way for the player to roleplay better, as opposed to an in-character bonus.

See, I tend to prefer describing things through the metaphor whenever possible. If a player goes looking for something, it gets described through the metaphor. With a reality filter, the player is familiar with the metaphor and can look for things out of the ordinary. Without it, they have to decipher the metaphor as they are slicing through. I know that in game terms this makes next to no difference, as the programs handle the bruntwork, but still.

Actually, I kind of like the perception modifiers as kind of a situational familiarity bonus.
Cheops
You'd have to make any Perception bonus a +2 or something to your roll. Since Opposed tests don't have threshold modifications it means that your custom metaphor isn't any more useful at noticing sneaky people.
Ravor
Personally I've never much liked the idea of Reality Filters in the first place. Of course, I also do away with the entire concept of VR looking and acting like a FPS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012