Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philadelphia, 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garwllwyd
Does anyone have any ideas on what this city could look like come the 2070s? There was a website that had a write-up for Philly, but I can't seem to find it, if it's even still up. I'm perusing the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America currently for write-ups on some of the surrounding regions. It would be my kind of setting, as it's in my neck of the woods and I could see some interesting scenarios around there with the whole movement of the Lenape thing I discussed on the NAN thread, historically a lot of Welsh and Irish folks in the area and thus possibly ties with both Snowdonia and the Tirs, etc.
tsuyoshikentsu
Well, if you think the murder rate's bad now....
Snow_Fox
Living in the area I have a few ideas. I think the bad neighborhoods in North Philly will be steamrollered 8into corp housing edging up to the 'trendy' neighborhood of chestnut hill. The real bad stuff will be Camden, the slum city accross the Delaware. Seriously, the USS New Jersey is really there to keep the crime in check. Fishtown and along the river to the south is more working class, think Auburn in Seattle, but honest and getting gentrified now so it might well be more upscale if Norht Philly is rehabed by the ccrps. Old city would still be preserved with things like Independence Hall backed by the massive corporate skyrakers.

Rich neighborhood to the west along the 'main line' into Chester county. Go north into Montgomery county and it gets very rural very fast., Guys I get deer in my garden regularly, I've given up on trying to grow veggies and have to leave trails of fox urine to keep them out of the roses.

A little further north,of that, towards Trenton but still west of the delaware you get more magical communities into Bucks county.

NAN is NOT an issue, they get deported west of the Mississippi after the great Ghost Dance war. The US gives up most of the frwaking continent, no way would they also agree to letting NAN stay behind when pinkskins are getting thrown out of Oregon, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado etc.
Snow_Fox
Just to extend this based on what I worte elsewhere, i think Philly will extend it's sprawl to take on Wilmington delaware as it's heavy industry area.

The neat thing about the Philly area is you have lots of urban stuff but the band of it is farily thin. Very soon you're into green farmlands as you go inland. Just imagine, grab a boat in the waterfront, go up the Schuykill (how ever it's spelled) and after being in the hard city, you get a git north and your having a meet in the woods of Valley Forge or having a meet on the waterfront in a 19th century cruiser. The ready market, while smaller and only on one floor gives a good feeling like seattle's Pike Place market.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012