Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daemons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CodeBreaker
For the last few weeks me and my GM have been throwing together some custom rules for my Technomancer. Ever since I read the rules for Ally Spirits in Street Magic I wanted my Technomancer to have a Matrix equivalent. When I heard Technomancers got a good bit of page property in Unwired I was excited, hoping I would get my Ally Sprite. Nope, but of well, it brought lots of other fun things. So instead I decided to write up my own rules for creating such an Ally Sprite. I decided to call them Daemons purely based on knowing that Otaku used to have things called Daemons, plus it sounds cool (I know that it is originally a computer term, but my knowledge of UNIX systems is sparse, and I believe that is what it refers too.) Someone was asking about the rule earlier so I thought I might as well post it.

However I am not really that experienced at writing up custom rules (Some things here and there, but not that much) so I was wondering if some people could go over them and have a look-see. I am not sure about balance so far, I haven't really had a chance to exhaustively go through them bit by bit, however they follow a lot of precedent set out in the initial Ally Spirit rule section so I don't think they should be too bad. The only thing that might be off are Karma costs.

A note, these rules are not finished. I still have to write up stuff about Bastions (You will see) and these will basically act like an AI's Home Node with much less benefit. I also have to write up some other rules, but I left these sections at the end so it shouldn't break your reading. This is fairly long, and grammar mistakes are almost a certainty (I am crap at grammar) so please excuse any glaring mistakes (and point them out!). Also some of the names *cough Act of Compilation cough* are temporary and a bit cheesy. Any better suggestions would be useful. Just noticed I also didnt finish the Rundown bit, there is more to go in there as well, but it is late and I have been at this for a few hours now spin.gif You might also recognise that some of the text is pulled from the Ally Spirit rules with some changes. I am aware of this grinbig.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Things Left to Do
Finish the Rundown, Bastion and New Rules sections
Work out other things that my tired head cannot remember right now.

So, any glaring mistakes, and critique, and any outright objections?
The Jake
I saw this in the Uber TM thread where you touched on it.

I personally love the concept. I don't think however that Daemons should have a home node. That's what the Resinance Realms are for. Also I think the TM should be able to pick the powers, much like a magician can. Your power selection would be limited to the sprites you can summon - just like a Mage.

In terms of mechanics, I'd look to Street Magic and see how much you can leverage off the Ally Conjuration rules. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers

- J.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jul 15 2009, 12:11 AM) *
I personally love the concept. I don't think however that Daemons should have a home node.

I initially thought this, but when writing up the rules I found that rules for decompiling the Daemon weren't really merging (I have a rough draft of what I want the Bastion to do, just have not written it yet.) Basically the reason I made the Bastion necessary was such:
1)There was no Nuyen cost to getting a Daemon. I have noted that Technomancers don't tend to need to worry about Nuyen that much, so thought that having them need to buy a really good node to house the Daemon in would be a Good Thing. Plus those poor Mages need to buy Binding Materials all the time for Spirits, thought I should even it out a bit.
2)Lore wise (That I intend to write) has the Daemons “essensey bit� being transferred from the Resonance Realms to the Bastion when its Source-Code is put there. Basically the Bastion becomes its Resonance Realm. This lets me put the next bit in so that it follows what Unwired Lore says about what happens to Sprites when they get Matrix Damage killed.
3)When a Daemon takes damage over its Condition Modifier I am going to have it begin a recompiling action thingy in its Bastion. This means that the Technomancer can go in quite easily (without having to access the Resonance Realms) and use Medic on the Daemon to help it along. If I didn't have the Bastion the Sprite would basically disappear for 16 days every time it got Matrix killed, unless I wrote some rules about a Technomancer being able to force it too recompile with an extended action or something
4)Because the Source-Code lives in the Bastion it provides an obvious target for any ebil Technomancers who want to play. Need to know where the Daemon or its Technomancer is at any time? Get a copy of the Source-Code from its Bastion. You will note I wrote a bit in the initial writing up about the edited Source-Code being used to locate the Daemon. Thats what this ties into.

QUOTE (The Jake @ Jul 15 2009, 12:11 AM) *
Your power selection would be limited to the sprites you can summon - just like a Mage.

Yeah, you're right. I will edit it so that it reads that the Daemon can learn any Power available to any Sprite the Technomancer can already compile. Will also do this for the Type bit, so it can only reconfigure itself to a Daemon type that the Technomancer could compile.
The Jake
I don't see how or why the nuyen costs are relevant. Yes TMs don't rely heavily on nuyen - but neither do mages. This is my point.

The rules for Ally Spirits are very, very synnergistic and analogous to Sprites/Daemons.

Instead of having a home plane, a sprite has a Resonance Realm - or native Realm.

If a Sprite is damaged or decompiled, they come back within 30 days of 'recompiling' themselves on their native Realm (or whatever the rules are around this). But you just treat them as an Ally Spirit.

You never fund the creation of a Daemon with nuyen but do it all with karma and just keep the process almost identical to the creation of an Ally. If I weren't at work, I could probably do a blow-by-blow comparison with the rules in Street Magic and come up with some pretty quick rules that would be well balanced. It wouldn't take much longer than an hour at most I reckon.

I like your concept but some of the fluff/mechanics you've written don't support how Sprites work. By RAW they are mechanically no different to Spirits (effectively). Which is why I saw don't reinvent the wheel - leveraging the existing mechanics for this.

Seriously, I get the impression someone already created Daemons (or an equivalent) for TMs but this material was probably cut somewhere. I'd like to hear from one of the writers if this was the case. I'd also bet that if they did, they would be almost identical the process I'm outlining.

- J.

PS: Just a random thought, if you wanted to treat Daemons more like AIs instead of Sprites, then I would consider the home node. But I don't think that is what you're trying to go for. And in terms of mechanics and fluff, it just doesn't gel well and feels like a hybrid of the two with mixed results. Sprites don't have home nodes and what you're suggesting is a deviation from how Sprites work.
CodeBreaker
Just so you know, the actual method of creation is basically the Street Magic creation rules with words changed, some things changed and a few things removed/tacked on. Basically it is the section rewritten, I have already done what you suggested nyahnyah.gif
Jaid
i would suggest that registration should be involved somewhere.

also, i will add this one thought: you need to limit your daemon to using any given power only once at a given time. that is, you can have it sustain a threaded CF, and you can have it boost one of your CFs, and you can have it do both, but you can't have it sustain 2 threaded CFs or boost 2 CFs. this is absolutely 100% required to prevent the technomancer from using a daemon as an inexpensive rating + resonance(or more) bonus to all of their CFs.

(example: if you allow unlimited instances of those powers: i have a rating 2 daemon. i have a resonance of 5, and a browse CF of 0. i thread my browse until i get 10, soak the drain but don't die, and then have the daemon sustain that CF indefinitely. then i go rest/medic back to full health. then i do the same thing with scan. then with any other powers i may not have. also, while i'm at it, i have the daemon boost all of my CFs by 2, as well.... eventually, i hit double my resonance (aka 10) plus 2 (for a total of 12) in all of my CFs, and i may not have even had any single CF at a high rating to begin with.

truthfully, just being able to have your daemon sustain one CF indefinitely and boost one CF by it's rating indefinitely is *already* ludicrously good.
Draco18s
Just a quick note about Unix Daemons:

In Unix and other computer multitasking operating systems, a daemon (pronounced /ˈdiË?mÉ™n/ or /ˈdeɪmÉ™n/)[1] is a computer program that runs in the background, rather than under the direct control of a user; they are usually initiated as background processes.

The term was coined by the programmers of MIT's Project MAC. They took the name from Maxwell's demon, an imaginary being from a famous thought experiment that constantly works in the background, sorting molecules.[2] Unix systems inherited this terminology. Daemons are also characters in Greek mythology, some of whom handled tasks that the gods could not be bothered with, much as computer daemons often handle tasks in the background that the user cannot be bothered with.

As for Ally Sprites being called daemons: it's a good fit. It just adds another level onto the joke.
Neraph
I always found Technomancers in general really interesting, but they've always been far to similar to mages for me to actually like them. When they added Paragons I started getting highly annoyed. I don't think they need Ally Sprites. The ease at which they can get bound sprites of any sort makes them easier to play than mages as-is.

For example, 3 bound R6 Crack Sprites, using teamwork and covering each other's tracks, can hack you a lifestyle with high comfort, high entertainment, luxury neccessities, luxury neighborhood, and luxury security (one component at a time) in 5 days, 12 hours. And you get sprites for some time, not resources required. A mage cannot do such things.
The Jake
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jul 17 2009, 04:57 PM) *
For example, 3 bound R6 Crack Sprites, using teamwork and covering each other's tracks, can hack you a lifestyle with high comfort, high entertainment, luxury neccessities, luxury neighborhood, and luxury security (one component at a time) in 5 days, 12 hours. And you get sprites for some time, not resources required. A mage cannot do such things.

A bound Free Spirit with the Wealth power? Not as accessible to the Mage as a TM but not impossible.

- J.
Neraph
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jul 18 2009, 10:44 AM) *
A bound Free Spirit with the Wealth power? Not as accessible to the Mage as a TM but not impossible.

- J.

1) Requires getting the Free Spirit's formulae, in which a GM can just say "No."

2) Requires successfully binding said spirit.

3) The TM can do it at chargen, with no resources spent.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jul 18 2009, 12:00 PM) *
3) The TM can do it at chargen, with no resources spent.

The GM can still say "no."
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 18 2009, 10:13 AM) *
The GM can still say "no."

But then we get into a display of a GM abusing his power. Also called bad sportsmanship. It's like saying that the electricity damage of SnS or stun batons doesn't halve ItNW, because the GM doesn't want to spirits to be so easy. Whereas a good GM would take it in stride and plan accordingly next time.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jul 18 2009, 01:46 PM) *
But then we get into a display of a GM abusing his power. Also called bad sportsmanship. It's like saying that the electricity damage of SnS or stun batons doesn't halve ItNW, because the GM doesn't want to spirits to be so easy. Whereas a good GM would take it in stride and plan accordingly next time.

No, I'm actually pretty sure you can't hack your way into lifestyle, due to the books explicitly saying you can't hack money, and lifestyle costs money.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 18 2009, 06:51 PM) *
No, I'm actually pretty sure you can't hack your way into lifestyle, due to the books explicitly saying you can't hack money, and lifestyle costs money.

I think Neraph means using the Spoofing Lifestyle rules given in Unwired. Which a Technomancer/Hacker can do with a fair bit of ease. But it must also be noted that anyone can do this with sufficient use of an Agent, so its not really that bad.
Neraph
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 18 2009, 12:54 PM) *
I think Neraph means using the Spoofing Lifestyle rules given in Unwired. Which a Technomancer/Hacker can do with a fair bit of ease. But it must also be noted that anyone can do this with sufficient use of an Agent, so its not really that bad.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Draco18s Posted Today, 11:13 AM )
I'm actually pretty sure you can't hack your way into lifestyle,

Spoofing Life, page 99, Unwired.
Draco18s
Oh, I see now. I haven't read most of Unwired.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 18 2009, 12:10 PM) *
Oh, I see now. I haven't read most of Unwired.

It is a Great Book IMO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012