Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting new campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nylanfs
Okay I'll be starting a new for some friends who I finally managed to interest in ShadowRun next Saturday (7/25). I figure that I might as well start with using the older Missions as a good starting point since AFAIK none of them have experience with ShadowRun and might take some time to get accustomed to the setting. Since I have never had a chance to actually run a ShadowRun game before (I have been able to play at Con's, just not locally). I'm looking for any pointers, I'll list where I'm starting out at and we can build on that.

1) Using just the core SR4 book for now (I'm going to use the SR4A errata so that when I get the new book no one is confused by the slight changes), I have the majority of the other books but I want to keep it simple for the new players.

2) And general advise on the Fanpro's GM's screen? Is there any table's I should copy and paper clip to it?

3) I had already picked up some nice 12mm blue dice which I've colored in the 2-4 pips, and a set of basic 16mm black dice which I have done the same on to make successes and glitches easier to quickly count.

4) As stated I'd planned on using the SRM as a good basis to start from before investing heavily in a group that might break up. Should I use 00-01 though 00-05 as a start point since they were designed for very new shadowrunners or would it be better to start with 02-01 since I wouldn't have to be altered to SR4?

5) It looks like it's going to be a group of about 7 players, any advise on using that many players? I already know that I'm planning on having a range of pre-gen character's there but will get there early and let everyone know that we'll go over the character creation rules if everyone okay with that.

6) I might need a good way to emphasize that it's a much more deadly game than they might be used to (besides the fact I'll be stating as one my first sentences is "There's no such thing as Read Dead, there are ways to be alive after you die. But you do not want that to happen." Any advise on this?

7) I'm going to try and assemble a few sections and make a new player's guide notably the History section of the core book (mainly because I don't want them to buy the core book now, just wait for SR4A to come out) and probably a couple of selections from "Welcome" section. And of course a couple of character sheet's (especially some of the pages from Ismo's dossier).

TeknoDragon
Regarding pre-generated characters: I'm a brand-new player myself, and went on my first run a week ago. The GM had the sample characters from the SR4A book available, which we (the four players) used, for the most part. He was then very kind and allowed us to apply earned karma and nuyen.gif to the characters we've had a week to work on once we had a chance to see what kind of things the GM's style and game mechanics need to be reasonably successful.

Mind, I am fresh meat here, so my advice and a handful of scrip gets you a cheap soykaff.
Method
1.) This is a good idea. The core rules are fairly function, especially if you try to keep the dice pools in the low to mid teens. All the added options in the advanced books start jacking up the dice pools to the point where wonky rule weirdness begins. [This is the point where the "SR4 sux" people will jump into the discussion]

2.) Get Aaron's cheat sheets. The screen is fine, but these really help.

3.) Great.

4.) I would probably stick to the Missions written for SR4. You will have enough work running the system without having to convert. You might also consider running Food Fight. Available free HERE. And here is a MAP I made for that scenario.

5.) This could be a challenge. Generally speaking, the best way I've found to handle this is to design adventures with multiple objectives so the team can split up or otherwise make sure everyone has something to do. Take a minute to go around the table and have people declare what they are going to do (even out of combat), tell them what mechanics they need (and what section of the book to look at) and then make a second pass and resolve things. That way while people are waiting for their turn they can learn the rules and think about what their character is experiencing.

6.) You might consider adding an experienced NPC to help them out during the first adventure and then demonstrate how lethal things are by orchestrating that NPCs death. Make a point of explaining each step of the combat sequence so they see how things work and then say "See, thats how easy it is to die in SR."

7.) Both great ideas. HERE are some threads with other ideas...

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
wylie
interesting start
1. there are minor changes throughout the book, so once you get the book you will be making adjustments
2. honestly, i can't remember. make notes of what your groups seem to use the most
3. not really sure what you have done with the dice.....2-4 pips? ...1= glitch, 2-4=nothing, 5-6=success....
4. either will work
5. 7 players?? good size.. be ready to have the group split up. try to keep them together as much as possible, equal screen time for all. try to prevent them from going 7 different ways, even if you got to ask them to stay somewhat together(groups of 2-3) so you can run 1 game, not 7 mini-games
6. http://www.knasser.me.uk/content/shadowrun/SR_Questions.pdf
that link should help
7. see #6 and the player's guide sounds good

hope these help
DireRadiant
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Jul 16 2009, 08:34 PM) *
7) I'm going to try and assemble a few sections and make a new player's guide notably the History section of the core book (mainly because I don't want them to buy the core book now, just wait for SR4A to come out) and probably a couple of selections from "Welcome" section. And of course a couple of character sheet's (especially some of the pages from Ismo's dossier).

FREE Quickstart Guide can be downloaded and distributed to the players.

DireRadiant
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Jul 16 2009, 08:34 PM) *
4) As stated I'd planned on using the SRM as a good basis to start from before investing heavily in a group that might break up. Should I use 00-01 though 00-05 as a start point since they were designed for very new shadowrunners or would it be better to start with 02-01 since I wouldn't have to be altered to SR4?

5) It looks like it's going to be a group of about 7 players, any advise on using that many players? I already know that I'm planning on having a range of pre-gen character's there but will get there early and let everyone know that we'll go over the character creation rules if everyone okay with that.

6) I might need a good way to emphasize that it's a much more deadly game than they might be used to (besides the fact I'll be stating as one my first sentences is "There's no such thing as Read Dead, there are ways to be alive after you die. But you do not want that to happen." Any advise on this?

4. Use the Denver Missions. It really doesn't matter about skill or experience level of players or characters because you adjust to fit anyway. Using the missions gives you the core story, and you can adjust opposition stats and behavior to appropriate fun level for your group.

5. One thing that is different in SR4 is that it's actually useful and desirable to split up the team, and they can still all interact with each other all the time thanks to the matrix and instant world wide communication. All "table talk" can actually be in character. Very nice for promoting RP and team interaction.

6. Eggshell with hammers.
Neraph
3) On black dice, color the 2-4 in with black marker, leaving 5-6 white so you can easily count successes. For easier rolling, fill the 1s with red marker, so you can easily identify glitches as well. Match color with dice, in the event you do not use black dice.
nylanfs
Oh, I hadn't thought of coloring the 1 pip.. Thanks.
Neraph
I got that idea from somewhere here on the boards. I think it was knasser, but I can't remember. I take no credit for the idea, but I'm sure spreading it.
DuctShuiTengu
I prefer to leave the 2-4 in a color that will still be easily visible, though the basic principle still holds.
nylanfs
So anyone have a place where I can get some good starting level characters? Most of the ones I have been able to find are experienced with 40+ karma.
Method
LINK

I believe there is another similar thread floating around also in the Community Projects sub-forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012