Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: movement and action phases
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wylie
just need some clarifaction

on movement are you allowed to move each action phase, or each turn?

this came up when a PC got Fear attack and we were figuring out far the character would run. table ruling was once per action turn

just making sure this was the correct understanding of the rules on movement in combat

thanx
LowKey
The way I recall movement working (not with my books right now) is that you divide the total distance a character can move by the number of initiative passes they have. This is the distance that they'll cover each initiative pass. From there its just a case of deciding if they move in their action phase.

Example: My running distance is 30 metres and I have 3 initiative passes. This means that if I chose to move in only one of my phases then by the end of the combat turn (everyone has had their actions) then I will have covered 10 metres.

I'll double check this when I get back to my precious books, but it makes sense in my head (like that counts for something) smile.gif
CodeBreaker
The movement rates for each metatype are noted on the Movement
Table. This rate is the distance the character moves by that method per
Combat Turn (not per Initiative Pass).
If a character mixed his modes of movement during a Combat
Turn and it becomes important to know exactly how far the character
moved in a particular pass, simply divide his Movement Rate by the
number of passes in that turn.

I imagine that is the rule you mean?
Malachi
QUOTE (LowKey @ Jul 17 2009, 03:34 PM) *
The way I recall movement working (not with my books right now) is that you divide the total distance a character can move by the number of initiative passes they have. This is the distance that they'll cover each initiative pass. From there its just a case of deciding if they move in their action phase.

Example: My running distance is 30 metres and I have 3 initiative passes. This means that if I chose to move in only one of my phases then by the end of the combat turn (everyone has had their actions) then I will have covered 10 metres.

I'll double check this when I get back to my precious books, but it makes sense in my head (like that counts for something) smile.gif

Seconded.

For simplicity sake, I assume there are always 4 IP's per Combat Turn. If no one has a 4th IP then no one gets to act in that pass, however for the purposes of movement, I divided the total Movement distance by 4 to calculate how far a character moves each IP. I have heard of some people tweaking the movement rates so that they are all evenly divisible by 4 for this purpose.
wylie
kinda the answer i was looking for

basically, the character can only move a certain number of meters per initiative turn, no matter how many passes they have
dwarf moves 8 meters a turn, whether he has 1 pass or 4 passes

page 149

correct?

thank you

Dragnar
Basically yes.
But keep in mind, it's 8 meter per combat turn, divided by the number of initiative phases. If there are 4 initiative phases in a turn, a dwarf can walk 2 meters every phase. Letting people move their whole allocation during a single phase makes it possible to hop behind cover they plausibly shouldn't be able to reach before someone starts riddling them with bullets.
And, as malachi said, it's easier to always assume that there are 4 initiative phases, even if no one in the combat can actually act in all 4, otherwise you'd have to recalculate you per-phase-movement all the time.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 17 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Seconded.

For simplicity sake, I assume there are always 4 IP's per Combat Turn. If no one has a 4th IP then no one gets to act in that pass, however for the purposes of movement, I divided the total Movement distance by 4 to calculate how far a character moves each IP. I have heard of some people tweaking the movement rates so that they are all evenly divisible by 4 for this purpose.

Okaaaaaay, that's novel. Sort of harkens back to the impulse movement system of ADB's Starfleet Battles. Here's the question: what order do you resolve that movement in? Going last can be handy for the slowpoke if it means being able to get behind cover AFTER the speed demons make thier final placements... just a thought.
deek
I am a proponent of evenly dividing movement by fours.

As for resolving movement, I just do it during the character's action phase. So, they can choose to move before or after they use their actions. I have not had any issues thus far, and it does give those that only have one or two IPs something to do in IP 3 and 4. Its only movement, but at least they can find different/better cover, during that time.
Malachi
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jul 18 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Okaaaaaay, that's novel. Sort of harkens back to the impulse movement system of ADB's Starfleet Battles. Here's the question: what order do you resolve that movement in? Going last can be handy for the slowpoke if it means being able to get behind cover AFTER the speed demons make thier final placements... just a thought.

Just as deek says. The movement happens during their action phase, and if they also have actions for that IP they can choose to move before or after their action. I don't find it gives any advantage to people with lower Initiative values because, if it matters, the faster people can always delay until after the slower person goes.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Jul 17 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Basically yes.
But keep in mind, it's 8 meter per combat turn, divided by the number of initiative phases. If there are 4 initiative phases in a turn, a dwarf can walk 2 meters every phase. Letting people move their whole allocation during a single phase makes it possible to hop behind cover they plausibly shouldn't be able to reach before someone starts riddling them with bullets.
And, as malachi said, it's easier to always assume that there are 4 initiative phases, even if no one in the combat can actually act in all 4, otherwise you'd have to recalculate you per-phase-movement all the time.

I miss the super speed that those with wired reflexes had. Remember the intro fluff story with Nameless vs the Adept, and how he was able to go at something like 50 kph. They were moving so fast the poor rich girl turned Decker couldn't see them moving.
deek
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 20 2009, 10:55 AM) *
I miss the super speed that those with wired reflexes had. Remember the intro fluff story with Nameless vs the Adept, and how he was able to go at something like 50 kph. They were moving so fast the poor rich girl turned Decker couldn't see them moving.

You could certainly rule it that way, and have the movement speed be per pass, so those with wired reflexes would be super fast. It would be a house rule, but as long as its across the board, then it would work. Depending on how you handle vehicles, you could get some weird effects with people sustaining vehicle speeds for longer than would make sense... Nothing wrong with tailoring the game to your table's style.
Malachi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 20 2009, 09:55 AM) *

They're still fast. How far could you go if you got to make 3 Sprinting Tests in a Combat Turn?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 20 2009, 11:22 AM) *
They're still fast. How far could you go if you got to make 3 Sprinting Tests in a Combat Turn?

Not as far as you'd think, actually. I think with stupid levels of strength and running skill, you could reasonable get from 25m a turn up to 35 or so, a 30% increase, but if you're "sprinting" you're not engagin in melee combat and you're not effectively engaging in ranged combat either... which incidentally translates into 42 KPH, which ain't too shabby. Oh the other opposable appendage, a standard sprint is 30 KPH in SR4, so your *snicker at the godsawful pun* actual mileage may vary. You'd need 9 successes (average of 27 dice in the pool) to hit that aforementioned 50 KPH number as a non-troll.

Now, just because I'm feeling a little silly, troll with the surge quality celerity. Now we're talking FAST.
Warlordtheft
I wanted to revive this thread to discuss the option of having movement take place over the 4 initiative pases. I like the mechanics of it and the fact it gives those with fewer IPs something to do on later passes.

However there are some questions-and I'll pose this as examples and posiible solutions.

1. A 1 IP person needs to move to corner to get line of sight. It will take them 4IP to get to the corner and then take the shot.
My solution is to allow a 1IP person to delay their action until they reach the corner.

2. During the course of movement can a person run for one IP and then walk or stand still for others. Maybe, maybe not-this could be abusive for 1IPs there is no incentive not to run after they take their first action. My initial solution is that a person can only change their movement rate at before their action is declared in the initiative pass. So a 1IP persone would have to be running for all 4 pases, while a person with 3IPs may switch modes up to 3 three times. However combined with my solution in rule 1, I'd add that the announement delay action to hold is a a declaration of their action (to prevent a 1IP person from saying run-run-run-walk (take action).

The reason for this splitting of rules hair is that there are penalities for running, and I don't think they should be circumvented by this system.
Dragnar
1. That's not only your solution, but the official one as well. Everyone can delay actions into a later initiative pass.

2. That's almost the official rule as well, which is the source of the silly situation of a 1 IP character walking right into a door closed on a later IP, because he technically isn't allowed to change his movement mode to "standing".
siel

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jul 25 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Now, just because I'm feeling a little silly, troll with the surge quality celerity. Now we're talking FAST.

Don't forget the inline skate for more silliness.

Troll's running rate is 35 meters/turn. Celerity increase it by one-half round down for 52. Inline skate increase it by one-half round up for 78 meter/turn, resulting in 93.6 km/h  spin.gif

I think at this point, ramming rule is in order biggrin.gif

Blade
QUOTE (siel @ Aug 11 2009, 09:22 AM) *
 Don't forget the inline skate for more silliness.

Troll's running rate is 35 meters/turn. Celerity increase it by one-half round down for 52. Inline skate increase it by one-half round up for 78 meter/turn, resulting in 93.6 km/h  spin.gif

I think at this point, ramming rule is in order biggrin.gif

(Some of the) Silly ideas during the annual Shadowforums (French Shadowrun community) 'convention' last week-end, in chronological order:
1. Add cyberskates to a centaur, just for style.
2. Since you're adding two pairs? Do the modifiers stack?
3. If they do, let's add two cyberlegs with cyberskates: I'm pretty sure you can fit them somewhere.
4. Wait a minute... what about cyber feet on a Centipede/Millepede?
5. Deltaware+Adapsin+any other ways to get more cyber in there = about 60 cyberfeets = 30 pairs of skimmer disks = *2^30 Movement modifier = about *1 billion Movement modifier = speed of light... even before you add the Movement power.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 11 2009, 04:56 AM) *
(Some of the) Silly ideas during the annual Shadowforums (French Shadowrun community) 'convention' last week-end, in chronological order:
1. Add cyberskates to a centaur, just for style.
2. Since you're adding two pairs? Do the modifiers stack?
3. If they do, let's add two cyberlegs with cyberskates: I'm pretty sure you can fit them somewhere.
4. Wait a minute... what about cyber feet on a Centipede/Millepede?
5. Deltaware+Adapsin+any other ways to get more cyber in there = about 60 cyberfeets = 30 pairs of skimmer disks = *2^30 Movement modifier = about *1 billion Movement modifier = speed of light... even before you add the Movement power.

Why go through all that when you can just replace your legs with a VTOL hover jet?
Summerstorm
Hm... we had a character in the group... nicknamed "The Alien" It was still in third edition. But: Full cybertorso, arms, head, balance tail and Kid Stealth legs, with cyberskates. So he with his alien skull, red glowing eyes. Horns and long teeth on his unnatural black skull was hunting ghouls (and hobos) underground... going i think near 90 km/h max... screaming like a demon.

We pretty much ruled that he(it) would have some kind of natural fear aura with that *g*.

Just think about something that horrible coming at you at 90 km/h.

Also: yes two pairs of skates are not faster than one... i hope you gave out some slaps for even uttering that words *g*.

So let's see Troll 35m/combat turn, Kid stealth legs (Raptor now grml.) +50%, Running optimization +2 running, Cyberskates +50%. He throws 15(strength)+8(skill+spec.)+5(edge)+2 (equip) dice to enhance his speed. That is 70 + (30 dice, expected 14 (with rerolling) hits*2meter) that would set him to 98 meter/round. 117.6 km/H. Hm.. but wouldn't we enhance his hits for the higher running multiplier? I mean... maybe every hit should be worth 4 meters, when on cyberskates and with Kid... damn it... RAPTOR legs? Or maybe we should add the 50% bonus to the other one, but would multiply after the other?... if yes to all (and i would NEVER allow that) our troll would be going: 134.75m/round that's 161.7 km/H.

And now we asume he is screaming and flailing with his hands and has glowing red eyes... Composure check please.

EDIT: Oh i just had an idea too (please don't hit me) Now that he is so fast... we should allow him to use the ramming rules for vehicles. With his speed he does double his body damage on impact... we assume he has 10 points. that is 20 DV against impact...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012