Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metaplanar quest write-ups?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedeemerofOgar
I know that the Quests are generally used primarily for Initiation, and are generally very character-specific, but my GM was wanting to review some existing ones (she generally runs from modified modules). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would like to have my character go to the metaplanes to "rescue" a F5 Spirit of Man who was dispersed in combat under my command. While I understand that this is entirely not necessary for any mechanical reason, it's something I think my character would want to do, and we are having a hard time figuring out how difficult such a thing is, or what it involves mechanically, let alone from a story perspective.

Thanks!
Ancient History
Fortress of the Pearl, Michael Moorcock.
Backgammon
Well one time I had my characters do it, so I made a series of little tests. The first was the test of knowledge. I google a page on Aztec/Olmec/whatevertec and told my players to read it. Afterwards I asked a question on it.

Next challenge was a test of courage. The player was in a fire and either had to help someone else stuck or get out himself. Admitedly, this one did not work, because I realised that players don't really balk at danger. Oh well.

Finally, and really the highlight, was the test of combat. The characters appeared in a vast arena. The Keeper of the Threshold (or whatever he's called) told them they had to fight an enemy, and could pick a weapon of their choice. Now THIS was funny, as you saw the little greed shine in the Players eyes. "I ask for an Assault Rifle... NO WAIT, a machinegun" Without pause the character's weapon appears and a F5 blood spirit appears as his opponent, at which point the other players all tell him he's an idiot for A) picking a weapon he had no skill in and B) not asking for a nuke or a tank or something really destructive like that. It was funny.
The Jake
Metaplanar quests are a lot more simple (generally speaking) now. You just get past the Dweller then you get to the Metaplane you're after.

If you wanted to find a way to bring the other PCs in, find a Free Spirit with the Astral Gateway power to help out. smile.gif

- J.
Neraph
QUOTE (RedeemerofOgar @ Jul 20 2009, 04:04 PM) *
I know that the Quests are generally used primarily for Initiation, and are generally very character-specific, but my GM was wanting to review some existing ones (she generally runs from modified modules). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would like to have my character go to the metaplanes to "rescue" a F5 Spirit of Man who was dispersed in combat under my command. While I understand that this is entirely not necessary for any mechanical reason, it's something I think my character would want to do, and we are having a hard time figuring out how difficult such a thing is, or what it involves mechanically, let alone from a story perspective.

Thanks!

Effectively, all a Metaplanar Quest is is a Shadowrun that takes place in any setting you want. Also, Street Magic suggests a number of "objectives" involved in a Metaplanar quest involving Spirits equal to the force of the spirit; IE: retrieving that F5 Spirit of Man will require 5 separate tasks completed.

QUOTE (The Jake Posted Yesterday, 06:25 PM)
If you wanted to find a way to bring the other PCs in, find a Free Spirit with the Astral Gateway power to help out.

That's how my Black Magic mage did it. Nabbed a Free Spirit with the Astral Gateway (Hell)(a Deep Metaplane), that was aesthetically textured as Act 4 from Diablo 2. All cyberware was metallic demon parts (such as cybereyes being large, hellfire-filled eyes, or skillwires as a row of sharp metallic spines down the spine), and bioware were demonic grafts (the bio-sammy looked almost exactly like a massive demon; Muscle Toner, Muscle Aug, Platelet Factories, and more).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012