Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Churchill's parrot in SR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crusher Bob
Churchill's Parrot anyone throw in some 'historical' flavor text like this into their SR game? A cursing immoral parrot would be a great addition to any pirates based SR game. rotfl.gif
Dogsoup
Governor Schwarzenegger's parrot?
Crusher Bob
Why not just have a borged out governator himself? Something is rotten in the CFS and the governator is taking out the trash! cyber.gif

On a slightly more serious note, how many of you add 'flavor text' to your game? Stuff that just add to the atmosphere?
Liquid_Obsidian
Never , i don't even read the "tell it to them straight" parts in official scenarii , i just make it my way...

i particularly rely on musical ambience
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Liquid_Obsidian)
i particularly rely on musical ambience

So if I hear dueling banjos, I should get nervous, right?
nezumi
Flavor text as in random information about the place? All the time. They can't walk five paces without being hit in the head with flavor text. I love making up bar gossip and the Amerinidian guide's campfire stories.

Flavor text as in a letter written in chocolate syrup, pretty rarely. All online games, unfortunately.
Spookymonster
Getting back on track, it's funny you should mention the parrot in SR. It actually did make me think about doing a run involving a spike-baby parrot, Nazi treasures and, of course, Hitler's brain in a jar.
Foreigner
One problem with that, Spookymonster:

IIRC, Adolf Hitler committed suicide on April 30, 1945, by first crushing a glass capsule of potassium cyanide between his teeth, and then shooting himself through one temple (the left, I believe, as he was left-handed; however, I have read that his left arm was rendered stiff, or partially paralyzed, as a result of the July 20, 1944 assassination attempt (when Colonel Count Klaus von Stauffenberg planted a bomb at the bunker where Hitler was meeting with several of his top staff officers), so he MAY have used his right hand when he shot himself; if that was the case, he most likely shot himself through the RIGHT temple, as shooting oneself through the LEFT temple with a pistol held in the RIGHT hand is well-nigh impossible. (Try the motion yourself if you don't believe me. It's AWKWARD, to say the least. wink.gif)

The recovered remains from his Berlin bunker attest to this--several fragments of cranial bone showing signs of a bullet hole when their edges are joined together, and a lower jawbone (mandible) with glass fragments and traces of potassium cyanide embedded between the rear molars on one side.

I realize that SR is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy RPG, but reanimating a man (or a portion thereof, such as his brain, as you described in your post) who has been dead for 105 years (as of the beginning of the SR timeline in 2050) would be QUITE difficult, especially if he had committed suicide in the fashion which I just described.

No offense intended, though. If you can come up with a way to make it work in your game (without altering history as we know it, that is smile.gif), then by all means, go for it! smile.gif

--Foreigner
Nath
So far he only spoke of having Hitler brain in a jar. He never described in his post the reanimation of Hitler or his brain. That may be what he's thinking about, but he didn't yet say it nyahnyah.gif
RedmondLarry
Available now on DVD: They Saved Hitler's Brain
Foreigner
Point taken, Nath.

You're right; he didn't, did he?

My bad. frown.gif

--Foreigner
Req
Give Hitler a pair of gatling guns and see if there're any Wolfenstein players in the audience.
toturi
Hit him with the Spear of Destiny.
Fresno Bob
Were you there? Did you see his corpse? And the bullethole in his head? All we have are the assertations of others, and you can't trust those? And is there really a South Dakota? I don't think so.

And man, if you can say that off the top of your head...you know a lot about Hitler. I'm not saying anything, I'm just...saying.
Foreigner
No, Voorhees, I wasn't there, and I didn't see his corpse--at least, not in person.

(As I said in an earlier post, I'm not even 40 years old yet, and Hitler died nearly 60 years ago. wink.gif )

However, I saw a special on THE HISTORY CHANNEL about his death, and the testimony of surviving eyewitnesses--mostly junior members of Hitler's personal staff--was quite convincing.

Besides, his body, and that of his mistress of several years (and wife of less than a day) Eva Braun-Hitler, were both burned beyond recognition--his last order to his surviving staff members before taking his own life. Hitler's corpse was later identified by dental records. (The same THE HISTORY CHANNEL special that I mentioned earlier also showed some rather gruesome film footage of the remains after the fire had been extinguished, or had burned itself out. The male corpse they showed was still recognizable as Hitler's, although just barely. I don't recall if Mrs. Hitler's body was shown.)

Incidentally, the information in my earlier post concerning the July 20, 1944 bomb plot and such came from my family's copy of THE READER'S DIGEST ILLUSTRATED STORY OF WORLD WAR II (Copyright 1969 by THE READER'S DIGEST ASSOCIATION, INC.), which we've had since I was a VERY young child--possibly since the book was new, although I can't remember for certain.

--Foreigner
Fortune
QUOTE (Foreigner)
...and Hitler died nearly 60 years ago.

That's assuming that the body in question was actually Hitler. wink.gif
Fresno Bob
Yes, he was burned beyond recognition. And maybe the dental records were switched. For all you know, the hunched over old guy with the funny mustache who shuffles the mail cart in your office around...is in reality..HITLER!

Phaeton
*DUN. DUN. DUUUUUUUUUUNDRAMATICREVEEEEEEEEEEEEEERB.*
Panzergeist
Does this talk about "flavor text" make anyone else think of the Quarter Pounder discussion in Pulp Fiction?
Fortune
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Does this talk about "flavor text" make anyone else think of the Quarter Pounder discussion in Pulp Fiction?

Nope. Now, the 'Like a Virgin' monologue at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs, on the other hand... smile.gif
Snow_Fox
To drag this back on topic, I heard Napoleon's pet turtle from St Helena lived into the 20th C. Most of the dogs of Reagan and Bush the elder that were famous have passed away, but as an idea, "Socks" the Clinton's cat is still alive. What if he's still around when the awakneing comes and gets a little boost?
Herald of Verjigorm
Socks: immortal awakened cat of doom. (where "of doom" means "playing with yarn")
Fresno Bob
Awakened yarn.
Downtym
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Yes, he was burned beyond recognition. And maybe the dental records were switched. For all you know, the hunched over old guy with the funny mustache who shuffles the mail cart in your office around...is in reality..HITLER!

Mr. Hilter in the corner there has been planning a hiking excursion to Stalingrad for quite some time!

Mr. Hilter
k1tsune
QUOTE (Downtym)
Mr. Hilter in the corner there has been planning a hiking excursion to Stalingrad for quite some time!

Mr. Hilter

Mr. HILTER! I'd almost forgotten about that. That is a seriously underappreciated sketch.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Req)
Give Hitler a pair of gatling guns and see if there're any Wolfenstein players in the audience.

*shudder* Just don't make me go up against the doc. frown.gif
Kagetenshi
Too many fond memories of sneaking about, mausering folks from 800 meters...
(I was more of a Marathon/Pathways person when I was younger, though I picked up DOOM; as a result, most of my Wolfenstein memories are of the latest incarnation)
Anyway. We're just planning a little reich...

~J
FlakJacket
Speaking of parrots, how about awakened, semi-smart telepathic ones?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012