Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GenCon 2009
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Pages: 1, 2
Tiger Eyes
This is just what it says: who's going? What friendly (or grouchy) faces will we be able to put to dumpshock handles? And when is the DS meet and greet? nyahnyah.gif
Aaron
I'm going. I have to go; I've got one of the author's tables.
Tiger Eyes
I totally want to sit in on that game! biggrin.gif
Aaron
It looks like you'll have to beat up somebody if you want in. The tickets for that event are sold out. And in keeping with the spirit of the event, after I run the adventure, I'll give the players a copy of it and then not post it; they'll have exclusive copies. =i)
BishopMcQ
I have the other table, and will be taking a page from Aaron, and doing the same.
Caine Hazen
I'll be slaving away there. I think I'll be at the booth for quite a bit of the weekend, as I only have 8 hours in tha hall. plus I'll have all my SR cards there for a game. We're working out the details of a meet n' greet as well.
john_doe
I'll be there, and myself and 2 other friends got into an Author's Game. (RPG0901682 The Author's Game Shadowrun 08/15/2009 12:00:00 PM 4 $6.00 to be exact)

Any word on a DS meet and greet? Went to last year's and had a good time. Thanks again to Bull for the cards.
grendel
I'll be there. I'm running both nights of the tournament and both editions of Mr. Johnson's Table. If you signed up, PM me so I know what you'd like to have run.
Bull
I'll be around. I'm playing in the Scramble on Thursday, and i'll be GMing a couple of One Shots ("3 Tequila..." on Saturday at noon, and "Floor" on Sunday at 10 AM). I'll be playing Bouncer for the Mr Johnson games (So don't step outta line! smile.gif), and other than that, I'm going to likely be running various booth demo's or be "on call" as a backup/overflow GM.

AKA, I have no clue what kinda free time I'm gonna have. Which is why I haven't tried organizing anything for Dumpshock this year. I also have a couple other commitments I need to squeeze in around GMing and stuff as well. :/

I'd suggest an informal, late night dinner get together on Wednesday, which is possibly the only time most of us are "free", though there's likely a few folks who won't be getting in on time for that. But with Tournaments and other late night games, freelancer meetings, and other sundry gatherings, free time's a premium. I'll talk with Caine a bit, see what he thinks, but...

Let's say tentatively, The Ram Brewery, from 9 PM till whenever everyone staggers home?

Alternatively, if for some reason the Ram is booked out (I know one year the Diana Jones awards were being held there), or if more people like the idea, Claddagh is pretty nice as well. Both places are pretty decent and not horribly priced, and are my #2 and #3 favorite dining establishments (My number 1 is Weber Grill, which is amazing, but a little more pricey and they're more a restaurant than a bar, so they don't stay open late).

I'll start a new thread, get some feedback, and we'll decide something "formally" in a few days.

Bull
Stahlseele
Why does all of this have to happen on the WRONG side of the puddle
Bull
Sorry Stahselle. You need to migrate wink.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2009, 10:57 AM) *
Why does all of this have to happen on the WRONG side of the puddle

Or on the wrong side of the Rockies.
As jealous as I am, I still hope they have a blast.

Where is Lake Geneva in Indy again? I can't find it on any maps.

BlueMax
/old timer
//cane and all
nylanfs
I'll be going, but will be running a booth for PCGen (note: Booth 1925) and since I'm the only volunteer available I won't have much time to do anything qhile the Hall is open. frown.gif

I am planning to get to the M&G since I missed it last year. frown.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 27 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Sorry Stahselle. You need to migrate wink.gif

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move."
BishopMcQ
John_doe--I'll be running your Author's table. There will be characters there for you, or feel free to bring your own.
john_doe
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 27 2009, 07:36 PM) *
John_doe--I'll be running your Author's table. There will be characters there for you, or feel free to bring your own.

Cool thanks. Very much looking forward to this game.

Any guidelines for making your own character? Standard 400 points? Missions creation rules?
BishopMcQ
Nope, just bring a character you've played before if you'd like, or build a new one. I will adjust the game to fit the characters that make it to the table.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jul 23 2009, 10:28 PM) *
This is just what it says: who's going? What friendly (or grouchy) faces will we be able to put to dumpshock handles? And when is the DS meet and greet? nyahnyah.gif

We could all meet in your hotel room again like last year. I still remember the look on your face when you walked in.
Stahlseele
Ooh, that souns like storytime . . do tell ^^
BishopMcQ
The short version--Most of the GMs get along well and go to dinner or hangout in the evenings. The night before the con started, we all met in one of the GMs rooms (who was sharing the room with Tiger Eyes). She walked in on a pack of ten or so unruly GMs talking, laughing, and drinking. That was her introduction to several of the GMs and a few freelancers...

The long version, well, is longer than I want to type. I'll tell the story to anyone who finds me at GenCon.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 28 2009, 06:19 PM) *
The short version--Most of the GMs get along well and go to dinner or hangout in the evenings. The night before the con started, we all met in one of the GMs rooms (who was sharing the room with Tiger Eyes). She walked in on a pack of ten or so unruly GMs talking, laughing, and drinking. That was her introduction to several of the GMs and a few freelancers...

The long version, well, is longer than I want to type. I'll tell the story to anyone who finds me at GenCon.

The long version does involve the police but does not involve me in my PJs. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
Pity that, PJ's allways make for a good and fun story ^^
Dashifen
I'll be there again, working for the Man. I'll be helping to run the Scramble and doing some other One Shots doing improv comedy in the Who's Run is it Anyway show on Saturday. If you have the time, I highly recommend that last one. We always make it worth your time.
Aaron
I was there and I can attest to Tiger Eyes being there without her PJs on.

If you grill BishopMcQ for intel, make sure he relates the story about winning Gen Con with a well-timed off-color joke.
BishopMcQ
I thought we NDA'd that discussion...but yes, there are stories to be told. There have even been rumors of a secret freelancer game with one open chair, but we can never trust rumors.
Tiger Eyes
Rumors might be that freelancers can be bribed with Pizza and rootbeer and chocolate to talk more about rumors of a special freelancer game with a chair open...
DireRadiant
This is how rumors of chocolate rootbeer pizza parties get started.
Pax
Ahh Choclate Rootbeer Pizza Parties.....how I miss the good old college days.
Random Voices
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Jul 26 2009, 09:56 PM) *
I'll be slaving away there. I think I'll be at the booth for quite a bit of the weekend, as I only have 8 hours in tha hall. plus I'll have all my SR cards there for a game. We're working out the details of a meet n' greet as well.

If you want to play the card game, I'll bring a deck or two. My schedule is fairly open, so let me know.
nylanfs
Actually I have a couple of questions I just thought of.

a) I assume that there will be physical SR4a copies there, will we also be able to get the PDF/physical copy deal there?

b) Will you have any LE copies there?
BishopMcQ
SR4A should be there since the street date is a few days before hand, there have been no official answers about the LE date yet. Previous experience has said that the GenCon booth runs separately from Battlecorps (that's why you cna't pick up your battlecorps orders at GC), so I don't think you can do the combo purchase.

Adam may of course come behind me and tell you something different.
Cygnata
I'll be there! biggrin.gif

Hope to see everyone, I still have fond memories of 2006. biggrin.gif

Feel free to IM/email me for my cellphone number. I also have AIM and Yahoo on my phone. cygnata@yahoo.com

Also: We still have room for 2-3 more in the hotel rooms I reserved at the Sleep Inn West. Yes, it's a bit further from the Con, but it's a pretty nice place. Cost'll be about $120-100/person. Again, please email me if you're interested!
Freejack
I'll be there. I'm staying with a couple of my Shadowrun team and another will have a different room (it wouldn't be right for her to share with three grungy guys smile.gif ).

Carl
apollo124
I'm gonna be there on Saturday, as per usual. Job and money leave me with just one free day, so at least I'll be at the "What's up with CGL" and Shadowrun meetings.
DamienKnight
I will be there this year! w00t!

[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/TrollMamaGuy/Ross_Circle_strafe_dualies.gif[/img]

This is my first time. I am coming with my SR group from back home, most of which this will be their 3rd time. I have already signed up for some SR, DnD, and Stargate games. I may spectate the SR larp, but my special nerd powers are not developed enough to handle participating in something like that...

I would love to meet people from Dumpshock, but I am not coming in until Thursday morning. If you hear a very loud slightly annoying geek bouncing off the walls with delight... that will be me.
Bull
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Aug 6 2009, 03:30 PM) *

This is my first time. I am coming with my SR group from back home, most of which this will be their 3rd time. I have already signed up for some SR, DnD, and Stargate games. I may spectate the SR larp, but my special nerd powers are not developed enough to handle participating in something like that...

Suggestions:

Water or Gatorade are your friend. Carry lots of it. (or at least an empty bottle to refill at the fountains).

Don't try and do everything, and avoid trying to play 3-4 games a day. You will kill yourself, and while it will likely be fun, you'll miss a lot of the stuff to do there that doesn't involve playing.

Walk the dealer hall a couple of times, a couple different days. You will miss a lot the first time through.

Bring a camera. if I have one regret about my first GC, it's that I didn't have a camera. My memroy is hazy about a lot of stuff from that first year, and it was all one big exhausting blur...

INTRODUCE YOURSELF! This one kills me every year... Forum members who were there, who saw me, but didn't come up and say hi and introduce themselves. in fact, write your forum name on your badge prominently, and wear the badge where it can be easily seen (Wearing your badge on your belt is stylish, but I look like I'm Cock-Gazing when I'm really trying to see your name wink.gif). Don;t be shy, none of us bite. I'm a big ugly ork and should have a blue mohawk. Adam looks like Jesus with a long mohawk. Jennifer will likely be the only girl at the booth. Etc wink.gif

If you routinely piss me off on the forums, still come up and introduce yourself to me. Please. I like meeting trouble-makers face top face... wink.gif

There's a lot more advice I can give to first timers, but that's the basics. Oh, and this is a given, but don't be afraid to shower. It's gotten a little better over the years, but "Smelly Convention Gamers" is a stereotype with far too much truth behind it.

I would love to meet people from Dumpshock, but I am not coming in until Thursday morning.

That sucks. Well, I'll be doing a few booth demos on Friday, I'll be playing in the Scramble on THursday, and running One Shots and demos the rest of the weekend.

If you hear a very loud slightly annoying geek bouncing off the walls with delight... that will be me.

You don't quite get the concept of Gen Con yet, do you? smile.gif Though only "slightly annoying" may help distinguish you... wink.gif

Bull
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 6 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Jennifer will likely be the only girl at the booth. wink.gif

Not quite the only female, but I'll certainly be the one talking the most enthusiastically about Shadowrun. smile.gif (And I'll be the one who looks like she should be driving the soccer-mom van, not hanging out at a geek-fest... wink.gif )
nylanfs
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Aug 6 2009, 03:30 PM) *

I would love to meet people from Dumpshock, but I am not coming in until Thursday morning. If you hear a very loud slightly annoying geek bouncing off the walls with delight... that will be me.

Well you'll be able to find me, I'll be chained to the PCGen Booth (#1925) all weekend since I'm the only one that volunteered to help out frown.gif. Here's a picture of me (and my wife who will not be coming this year) from last year.

And yes I recommend all of the above suggestions. Especially the pace yourself bit, it is VERY easy to get exhausted your first couple of GenCon's. And make sure you know where all your events are some of the seminar's are spread out, verify if any have moved from what's listed in the book.

And if you like steak I HIGHLY recommend going to Shula's in the Westin (or is it the Marriott?) at least once , it's pricy but the food, presentation and atmosphere is worth every penny.
Cygnata
You forgot me, too! I owe you a nice big hug, Bull. wink.gif Also, who do I still owe alcohol to?
biggrin.gif

Here's me: http://cygnata.sandwich.net/photos/garb1.jpg
BishopMcQ
If it's your first GenCon or your tenth, Adam posted some great tips for survival. Part I, Part 2, C. Note--the notation changes are intentional.

Besides Tiger, Gremlin, Tara, and Heather are generally at the booth. (Tiger is the short one who shows off her navel.)

I look forward to seeing everyone at Claddagh--for those of you who can't make it, try and find us at the Scramble. (I get to PLAY!)

Edit: The 1-2-3 Rule is probably the best and easiest piece of advice. Quoted here:
QUOTE (AdamJury.com)
Golden rule, courtesy of Paul Tevis: 1-2-3, 1 shower, 2 meals, 3 hours of sleep. Daily minimums.

Bull
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 6 2009, 07:34 PM) *
If it's your first GenCon or your tenth, Adam posted some great tips for survival. Part I, Part 2, C. Note--the notation changes are intentional.

Besides Tiger, Gremlin, Tara, and Heather are generally at the booth. (Tiger is the short one who shows off her navel.)

I'm guessing that a notation here should be added that besides Tiger, those others are all females that will be at the booth smile.gif THere's a bunch of dudes at the booth all weekend too, unless you've gotten a lot more sexist and are making the wimmen-folk do all the work now!

I look forward to seeing everyone at Claddagh--for those of you who can't make it, try and find us at the Scramble. (I get to PLAY!)

That's right! You're on my team too, aren't you? Table Rating 6 baby! Booyah!

Edit: The 1-2-3 Rule is probably the best and easiest piece of advice. Quoted here:

If you're a bigger guy (or girl), or prone to sweating like I am (gross, I know, sorry), I recommend 2 showers a day. The 2 meals I agree with. 3 hours of sleep? Yeah, 12 years ago when I attended my first con that worked. Now? 4 minimum, and I can only do that one or two nights in a row before I'm toast. smile.gif

But still, yeah... Don't try and stay up all night. Do get food. Also, snacks like fruit bars are a nice supplement.

Bull
BishopMcQ
Note that 1-2-3 are MINIMUM expectations--please, eat and sleep more than that if you have time. And shower more regularly if you're Bull. smile.gif
Erl of Ingst
I wish I wasn't stuck in Kazakhstan until mid-November. I've never been to a gaming convention (have been to NDK in colorado... anime) and I have recently discovered my love for all things technology and Shadowrun. I've played before, but the group didn't last long (about two sessions). When I get back to the states I will certainly find a gaming group (if your in the Denver area and want another member in 4ish months let me know).

I wish I could GM, it sounds like meeting other GMs is fun, but people like me who have a short attention span it just doesn't work. Hard enough to read through the books, especially since I love rigging. As a side note, it also makes it hard to post on forums... and read them; but I try.

A few questions about common gaming practices. It sounds like when you game you can just bring a character you've played before. Is that common practice? What if the capabilities of the characters are vastly different? What if everyone wants to play a face/whatever (does that happen)? Would any GM object to someone playing a character that is just starting out as a Runner (300 BP)?

Obviously this isn't the correct location to address such questions, but I figured it was a good location since people who attend the Cons know more about gaming dynamics with strangers than the ones who just play with their friends only.

Did I forget anything?
Adam
Erl, at most convention games, characters are provided, actually. There are exceptions, but they're usually clearly marked, and have basic chargen guidelines listed.

As for three hours of sleep -- I agree on it being an absolute minimum. I aim for five.
Freejack
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 7 2009, 03:08 AM) *
I wish I wasn't stuck in Kazakhstan until mid-November. I've never been to a gaming convention (have been to NDK in colorado... anime) and I have recently discovered my love for all things technology and Shadowrun. I've played before, but the group didn't last long (about two sessions). When I get back to the states I will certainly find a gaming group (if your in the Denver area and want another member in 4ish months let me know).

Check out one of the meetup groups. The Denver RPG group is mainly Shadowrun with several others. You're certainly welcome to check it out. http://shadowrun.meetup.com/79

Carl
BishopMcQ
My hotel loves me and wants me to be kept informed (it couldn't possibly be that they have a bot which automatically sends emails to guests...really...) so I thought i'd pass the word on. Expect thundershowers--either plan accordingly for brief forays into lightning charged air and possible precipitation, or learn the fastest routes through the skybridge system between your hotel, events, and the Convention Center.
grendel
Shadowrunners love rain. It's a prerequisite for living in Seattle. smile.gif
Freejack
Getting ready to hit the sack. I'm leaving tomorrow morning at around 6am. First camping stop, Medicine Wheel Wyoming. Next North Dakota. Then Michigan, Sault St. Marie for a motel room and then Indy on Wednesday.

See you there!

Carl
Bull
Did some prelim work on my jacket for my costume for Gen Con smile.gif

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/bulldrek/jacket01.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/bulldrek/jacket02.jpg

It needs cleaned up a bit, we used Spray Paint to give it kind of a rough, home made look (WHich well, it is), but there was a bit too much overspray. It looks better in person, the flash really brought the color out. smile.gif

Tomorrow, I cut my mohawk and dye my hair blue (Sorry Adam smile.gif).
Aaron
Nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012