Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Translation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Question: Haven´t read the matrix-sections of the books up to know. But i know linguasofts exist and they are not for free. Now one of my players mentions a section, that says that nowadays you don´t need different languages anymore, because some expert system on the matrix, automatically translates your phone-calls. But this would make linguistic-adept powers, linguasoft (and especially every person that spends BP on language-skills etc. obsolete (and a moron). I can´t believe, that it is written like this in the books, so i told him that this is definitely working, as long as he purchases the software that translates the call (means: linguasoft). So please tell me if i decided wrong or not.
HappyDaze
SR doesn't have all of the tech we do IRL. They took another 70 years to get wireless. Running linguasofts as written should work out fine.
Kliko
Sounds like a good GM call.
Traul
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jul 26 2009, 11:37 AM) *
Now one of my players mentions a section, that says that nowadays you don´t need different languages anymore, because some expert system on the matrix, automatically translates your phone-calls.

Here it is: that system only works if the speech is recorded. A linguasoft enables you to speak and understand the language in real life. Plus with an automated translation system, the audience hears the machine, not you. This should have an impact on social interactions, but I don't know how much modifiers can come from your voice.
knasser
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jul 26 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Question: Haven´t read the matrix-sections of the books up to know. But i know linguasofts exist and they are not for free. Now one of my players mentions a section, that says that nowadays you don´t need different languages anymore, because some expert system on the matrix, automatically translates your phone-calls. But this would make linguistic-adept powers, linguasoft (and especially every person that spends BP on language-skills etc.
obsolete (and a moron). I can´t believe, that it is written like this in the books, so i told him that this is definitely working, as long as he purchases the software that translates the call (means: linguasoft). So please tell me if i decided wrong or not.

I've not come across mention of such a service running over the Matrix, but SR2070 definitely has the tech for it and its a logical thing to exist. Not for free however. I would calculate a cost for such a service based on the price of Linguasofts so that the service was, obviously cheaper, but cost more over time. Running such a service would cost more than just loading a linguasoft onto a node. After all, Linguasofts are produced by someone and there would be different licensing structures, etc. I would allow such a service to be publically available but
(a) You're charged per minute. Say 1 nuyen.gif per minute for common languages.
(b) You take a social DP penalty if you're using this in face to face encounters as you aren't listening directly to the person talking (say -1DP in most circumstances
© Have no assurance that your conversation is confidential. No Johnson would be impressed by a runner that ran negotiations for their criminal enterprise over the 2070 equivalent of babelfish. wink.gif

I have less of a problem with it rendering other skills or powers less useful. Shadowrun is filled with better and worse options, usually varying with circumstance. I have an adept in my group that bought Facial Sculpt despite my emphasizing to him that you can not only do the same with technology, but do it better in some ways. Still, it was what he wanted, he can use the power even when stripped of equipment and he gets satisfaction from it. Similarly, light pistols exist despite usually being an inferior choice. The poor gangers need to have something they can afford. wink.gif

Your solution seems fine to me. It's a good way of representing the fluff with the same rules as something else. Though it changes the circumstances in which the software is useful in some minor ways (e.g. if you don't have Matrix access its worse. If someone steals all your data chips, its better because you still have the account, etc).

K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012