Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Eastern Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lugburz
There's a game I'll be running eventually which is set to take place in the former Eastern Bloc, particularly Ukraine. (Actually, it's intended to be police game, crafted with love after our favourite aspects of Ghost in the Shell.) Anyway, I have read through Shadows of Europe, and although it had some excellent juicy bits, and the whole of Europe seems quite tightly intertwined in the SR time-line, I was left wishing for a little more regarding the East. There was some talk about Kiev and Odessa during the days before the Feral Cities release, so my questions are such:

-Has there ever been any official content released regarding Kiev and Odessa? (Or for that matter, Kharkiv, Lviv, Chişinău, Iaşi, Cluj-Napoca, etc., considering they're all in Ukrainian territory in the 2070s.)
-Have any of you set any of your campaigns in that part of the world, and did you think of anything interesting to do with it?
-Has anyone here lived in one of the cities/countries in question, and would you have any particular insight to add? An insider's opinion would be highly appreciated.

The stuff under tentative consideration so far is this: Ukraine has since agreed to cooperate with NEEC and has entered a limited partnership. (But they still refuse membership in full.) Under this agreement, they have entered some business and mass transportation projects, (like EuroRoute) and adopted CEER. (Similar to North America's SIN system.) Kiev is still pursuing the Philike Hetairia partnership organisation with other Black Sea/Balkan nations, and the country is generally friendly toward all kinds of people, in spite of its generally increasing authoritarianism under its new president. Relations with Russia are still in strained. A number of corporations and magical societies, most notably the Atlantean Foundation, all have extensive operations within the country. There's probably at least one or two magical universities, and several sub-headquarters for AAA/AA-rated Corps. The Moldovans and the people of the Romanian protectorate are no less upset now than they were during the 30s-40s over the annexation of their countries and seeking independence. Transnistria is still vying for complete autonomy as well. In the underground, it's business as usual, particularly in the spheres of piracy and organised crime.

That said, any insight that could be offered would be highly welcome. It's worth mentioning that a couple of my players are bound to see this, but as the entire idea is still in the alpha stages, you're not likely to spoil much for them.
Garwllwyd
I'd look at some Earthdawn, if you haven't already. I know, I know, they more-or-less phazed out the ED/SR crossovers, but Barsaive is the Ukraine. Seriously, look at the map. Anyway, this could give you some ideas on ancient ruins, etc. and ideas for plots, too.

Not familiar enough with the Slavic region to really give much input, although as with the Baltimore thread, I can give you some ideas paranimal wise. There'd almost certainly be plenty of sasquatch in the Caucasus, especially. I'd maybe even allow sasquatch PCs from there, given some of the stories out of that region.

Also, for paranimal stuff, check up on the story of the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece -- IIRC they travelled to the Black Sea area. Maybe even have the Golden Fleece as an artifact in some dragon's lair.

Dragons--Gorynych! Come to think of it, didn't Dunkelzahn have a lair there in canon?

All I know for sure is Slavic mythology has some nifty (and weird) critters. From SR canon, you have the leshy and domovoi -- maybe HMHVV originated there (at least the base strain) -- then you have the drekavac, a chupacabras-type thing if you go by the "real" reports, who knows what in Slavic mythology. I think like a vampire or something? Lots of spirits, obviously. For the leshy and domovoi, you could use the SR canon. Then you have the vodyanoi, polevik, etc.
Lugburz
Excellent, thank you. It will be a bit of trouble digging up some of the Earthdawn stuff, so it's a good thing I love treasure hunts.

Paracritters are likely to come up, as our table seems to love them more than would be considered healthy- about as much as I love treasure hunts, in fact. HMHVV is also a likely one, because this is the part of the world that spawned the whole vampire thing in the first place. (Well, that would be what is now Romania. Good thing Ukraine controls about a third of Romania, (specifically Transylvania and environs) then.)

I'll check up on those myths as well. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Ogrebear
Other thing about the Ukraine region is that the Draco and Atlantean Foundations are all over them steal.... er... rescuing artefacts and what not from various sites and ruins. It would not be impossible for players to run into runners from one of these power blocks.

Digger posted maps with Barsaive landmarks on them done in modern cartographic styles... Barsavie Maps by Digger which might of use for an SR game.

Kyoto Kid
...Russia and a few of the republics are discussed in Shadows of Asia. As to the Balkans, they are still pretty much a black hole, with barely a paragraph devoted to the region in SoE and a passing mention of failed peace talks between Croatia and Serbia in SOTA 2064. With the lack of any solid reference, I basically wrote my own overview for my Rhapsody in Shadow campaign [SR III] based on the Euro War and history of long running ethnic conflict in the region.
Megu
Actually, the Balkans get some mention in Feral Cities, as Sarajevo is one of the featured sprawls.
Lugburz
Excellent- thanks for the continued information. It seemed unlikely that there was much beyond those three or four published rulebooks, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. The plug for Barsavie maps will be quite helpful, as I've only managed to find one of reasonable use at this point. Not sure how much the Balkans will come into play yet- It's certainly possible that some of that unrest could spill into Ukrainian territory, if it doesn't do so on a regular basis already. (If you've still got some of your write-ups, Kyoto Kid, I'd be happy to read them.)

Poland is also quite a wild card itself- one of these days I'll manage to understand what Shadows of Europe is trying to tell me about it, although I'm still debating whether or not to just say that entire confusing conflict has been resolved by 2071 in order to prevent us from having to trouble ourselves with it.

If anyone cares to read it, (or to suffer my necro-posting) I'll post a bit of my own material when it's reached a presentable status.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012