Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Capacity of Smartgun cam
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
What is the capacity of a smartgun cam or how much vision enhancements can I cram into one.
Do I follow the upgrade rules in SR4A of vision sensors and devices or in arsenal for weapons.

It is strange that in arsenal a vision enhancement upgrade cost 1 weapon slot.
Doc Byte
My best guess: 1 slot per upgrade for internal smartlinks and device rating for external smartlinks.
Zaranthan
The baseline smartgun is pretty cheap, so it seems fair to assume it includes a rating 1 camera and upgrade it by SR4A rules.
Heath Robinson
Standard Device Rating rules say 3. If you stole it off a Security Guard then it'll be 4.

The Anniversary Errata indicates that the Camera has an independant Capacity to the weapon. All Cameras have their own independant tracks of Capacity, just like a Cybereye added using Capacity to a Cyberskull has its own track of Capacity. The situation is basically analogous.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 29 2009, 04:29 PM) *
The Anniversary Errata indicates that the Camera has an independant Capacity to the weapon. All Cameras have their own independant tracks of Capacity, just like a Cybereye added using Capacity to a Cyberskull has its own track of Capacity. The situation is basically analogous.
Where did you get the Errata? Guess Arsenal then needs another set of Errata.
Heath Robinson
The Errata in question forms the changes incorporated into the Anniversary Reprint. It's the Errata released for the Anniversary (hence Anniversary Errata). There's only one SR4, so referring to "SR4A" implies that there's something entirely new. There isn't. To use "SR4A", therefore, is a lie (or it's incorrect - a crime worse than murder, rape and child molestation).
Kerenshara
Well, that would totally nix a couple of entried in Arsenal, and I would prefer to see somethind definite about it from Catalyst, and an official ruling on the effective "rating" of that pinhole-tiny camera on a smartgun. Now, mind you, personally I would LOVE the "Rtg 3, go with SR4A" interpretation, but I would expect a speciffic clarification if a new rule totally erases two separate entries in an older book.

Any chance a Dev (or one of their loyal minions) is lurking about to touch on that?
Dakka Dakka
What was that rant about, Heath Robinson? It is totally inappropriate to equate calling the most recent rule change SR4A with actual felonies and brutal crimes.
There are three rulesets of SR4. The Errata 1.8, the first "printing" of the Anniversary Edition (which is identical with the Changes Document AFAIK) and the revised Anniversary Edition.I merely wanted to know if any changes have been made to the latter.
If the rule that smart gun cameras have their own capacity is in the Anniversary edition i would like to know where. And if this is the case Arsenal needs another Errata to not contradict this rule. According to Arsenal each Vision Enhancement to the smartgun's internal camera cost a slot of the weapon.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 29 2009, 02:06 PM) *
What was that rant about, Heath Robinson? It is totally inappropriate to equate calling the most recent rule change SR4A with actual felonies and brutal crimes.
There are three rulesets of SR4. The Errata 1.8, the first "printing" of the Anniversary Edition (which is identical with the Changes Document AFAIK) and the revised Anniversary Edition.I merely wanted to know if any changes have been made to the latter.
If the rule that smart gun cameras have their own capacity is in the Anniversary edition i would like to know where. And if this is the case Arsenal needs another Errata to not contradict this rule. According to Arsenal each Vision Enhancement to the smartgun's internal camera cost a slot of the weapon.

In a seaparate thread, the Dev's told us that the delivered Anniversary edition would match the SECOND PFD for 4A. Just FYI.
Personally, I HOPE they go with that idea because I like being able to mod the camera, but it's a little "Munchy" to me given the tiny size of the camera in a normal smartgun.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 29 2009, 08:06 PM) *

I am glad to know that you consider me insane. Basic sanity checking should have told you it was a joke.

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 29 2009, 08:06 PM) *

If there's a rule stating otherwise then that rule overrides the assumption. I was deriving from first principles.
Marduc
What about a combination of both rules.

What if the camera has a capacity of its own and if you fill that and still want to add extra vision mods, you'll use the weapon mod slots?

Now we have to figure out what the capacity is of a (smart)guncam
BlackJaw
SRA 322 says that the smart gun can take vision enhancement modes. It says the same thing about Imagining Scopes too. It never says what their capacity is.

Oh and I didn't spot an actual device rating for Smart Guns. Unwired page 204 lists a full set of details for them: Response 2, System 3, Signal 1, Firewall 4. They are peripheral nodes. One bit of text says the have Signal 0 along with skinlinks(?), but all the charts say otherwise.

There are a few ways I could view this.
First, we could say they are all using a capacity 1 camera, and extra capacity costs $100 up to capacity 6, just like extra capacity in standard cameras.
Second, we could say they are all capacity 1, and that each extra capacity multiplies the price... so a capacity 3 Smart gun is $1,200 and a Capacity 3 Imaging Scope is $900.
Third, we could say that an imagining scope is essentially a camera that attaches to a gun. It's $300 so we could call it a Capacity 3 camera. We could then say that the Smart Gun system, which is $400, is more or less an imaging scope with more gun integration features. Essentially we call the smart gun a 3 slot camera.
You could in theory also say that the Smart Gun is using up 1 of those enhancements, but I don't like that because the camera is in the smart gun (not the other way around), and the smart gun is using the image feed to help see where the gun is aimed (and to let you see around corners) instead of changing or adding to what the camera sees.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012