Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #GMing #Rules - Vehicle Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tricen
There are many different aspects of Shadow Run that allows for GM interpretation. Frankly, that's part of the awesomeness of the game. However, I'm curious to see how everyone else handles this particular aspect of our favorite RPG.

~ Vehicle Combat ~

Chase Turns
Time during chase combat is measured by Chase Turns. One Chase
Turn is one minute long (20 Combat Turns).

OK, I love this game. Everything from the setting to the interplay between attributes and skills make me a happy camper. Now I'm reading up on vehicle combat (since that came up this past game) and I find that we could be WELL through shooting everyone behind the wheels of the other cars before we could perform ANY more stunts! And even if you COULDNT kill off the opposition, your PCs are stuck for 20 TURNS before you have a chance to get away?!

EDIT: WAIT!
Break Off (Long Range Only): The driver tries to break contact
with all other opponents and flee the scene. To do this, the driver must
succeed in a Vehicle Test with a threshold modier of +1 per pursuing
vehicle after the first. The driver must succeed in this test 3 turns in a
row
—only then has he escaped. If at any point he fails a test, or fails to
maintain Long Range, he must start to Break Off all over again.

Bolding is mine.
You seriously expect people to wait 60 COMBAT TURNS AT LEAST to escape? Even if that's a reset button, I'm not seeing it.

Ok, I fully believe that I've missed something. I'm misinterpreting the rules somehow. How do you all handle this?
Did I miss something?
Do you house rule via "Rule of Cool"?
Do you skip some number of combat turns?
Discuss!
Mr. Unpronounceable
Generally speaking, you don't mix combat and chase combat turns or movement - you're either in one or the other. If you've got a passenger or a rigger using weapons, they're in chase turns as well. So, no shooting at the other vehicle 120 times while breaking off.

The chase combat turn = 20 combat turns is only particularly useful if you've got both going on simultaneously because of a split group or similar.
Tricen
Chase combat is designed to abstract vehicular combat between multiple
vehicles moving at high speed over a longer time frame and across larger
distances than tactical combat. is covers everything from car and
motorcycle chases to aerial dogfights to armored vehicles in mounted battle.
Consequently the rules involved are intended for vehicle-only combat.

I suppose I can get behind that line of thinking due to this block of text. So for all intents and purposes, I'm just taking Combat Turns and extending them to 1 minute each. Sure, why not nyahnyah.gif
deek
QUOTE (Tricen @ Jul 31 2009, 03:45 PM) *
I suppose I can get behind that line of thinking due to this block of text. So for all intents and purposes, I'm just taking Combat Turns and extending them to 1 minute each. Sure, why not nyahnyah.gif

Same issue I had this past session and that's the same conclusion I came to. I think the 20 combat turns is just there are reference.

So, what I did was just run a normal combat turn, except each was 1 minute long. The driver got to do his stunt each turn (which means it could take a minimum of three minutes to break off), but each player got his normal IPs worth of action. Just that it was spanning a minute.
Summerstorm
Right. i even think it is pretty reasonable. As a cybered dude with say 3 IP's you get to shoot (semiautomatic) 6 times. in 60 seconds. That is pretty ok in a chase. You know, all this stunts, traffic, dodges... you can get a clear shot every 10 seconds is ok. And if you think about it. With acceleration and such. Three minutes till the better car is gone is realistic too, i would think. (Of course not if you drag against a dude on a moped with a Westwind on a clear freeway... then 10 seconds should be enough *g*)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012