Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Quality Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Guntherfuzz8
Hi Everybody! I'm a Shadowrun noob that is playing in a homebrew which borrows a great deal from the Shadowrun 4th Edition ruleset and I'm confused about the High Pain Tolerance quality.

High Pain Tolerance
Cost: 5 BP per rating (max rating 3)
High Pain Tolerance enables a character to better shrug off the distraction of pain from his concentration. A character who possesses this quality can ignore one box of damage per rating
point when calculating wound modifiers
(see Wound Modifiers, p. 153). So a character with this quality at Rating 2 can take 4 boxes of damage without suffering a wound modifier.

It's the part in Italics which really has me confused. The text seems to say that you ignore the wound modifier equal to your Rating but the example doesn't seem to add up.

Can anyone help enlighten me?
Ancient History
For every 3 boxes of damage on her Condition Monitor, a character takes a cumulative -1 dice pool modifier.

So at:
2 boxes of damage, no modifier.
3 boxes of damage, -1 modifier.
5 boxes of damage, -1 modifier.
6 boxes of damage, -2 modifier. And so on.

What High Pain Tolerance does is let you ignore (Rating) number of boxes of damage when calculating the penalty.

So if you have 3 boxes of damage (which would normally give you a -1 modifier), and High Pain Tolerance 2, you would only count 1 box of damage (3 - 2) when determining the wound modifier, so you would not have a modifier.

If you had 6 boxes of damage (which would normally give you a -2 modifier), and High Pain Tolerance 2, you would only count 4 boxes of damage (6 - 2) when determining the wound modifier, so you would only suffer a -1 dice pool modifier.
toolbox
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 31 2009, 06:11 PM) *
For every 3 boxes of damage on her Condition Monitor, a character takes a cumulative -1 dice pool modifier.

So at:
2 boxes of damage, no modifier.
3 boxes of damage, -1 modifier.
5 boxes of damage, -1 modifier.
6 boxes of damage, -2 modifier. And so on.

Really? The official sheet makes it look like -1 per every three boxes or fraction thereof, so 2 boxes would be -1. Is this wrong?
Ancient History
The way the sheet is written out in SR4A, you don't take the penalty until every 3rd box of damage; i.e. the penalties do not apply across the row.
Guntherfuzz8
Thanks! That really helped me make sense of it and I suspect that the GM may be confused about the penalties along with me biggrin.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012