Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shapeshifter question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glyph
I was looking through Street Magic, when I saw the empathetic healing power, and thought, "What if a shapeshifter adept took this power? Couldn't he transfer someone's wounds to himself, then regenerate the damage?"

What would you do to curb this? The only thing that I can think of is, since it is being magically transfered, it could be treated as magical damage, which doesn't regenerate.

Or am I worried about nothing? It still takes a successful test to accomplish, and someone using the first aid skill followed by magical healing could probably do better most of the time.
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 1 2009, 05:17 PM) *
I was looking through Street Magic, when I saw the empathetic healing power, and thought, "What if a shapeshifter adept took this power? Couldn't he transfer someone's wounds to himself, then regenerate the damage?"

What would you do to curb this? The only thing that I can think of is, since it is being magically transfered, it could be treated as magical damage, which doesn't regenerate.

Or am I worried about nothing? It still takes a successful test to accomplish, and someone using the first aid skill followed by magical healing could probably do better most of the time.

Strictly speaking, I would say that it is magical damage from an adept power and thus doesn't regenerate.
Stahlseele
The only damage that can NOT be healed by magic(only transferred) is DRAIN from Spellcasting/Summoning.
But this is not MAGICAL healing. This is a CRITTER-power, which is something else all together.
It's basically like a Troll taking the damage and then healing it away with his massive body.
Only a little bit faster.
toturi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 1 2009, 05:51 PM) *
The only damage that can NOT be healed by magic(only transferred) is DRAIN from Spellcasting/Summoning.
But this is not MAGICAL healing. This is a CRITTER-power, which is something else all together.
It's basically like a Troll taking the damage and then healing it away with his massive body.
Only a little bit faster.

Drain damage can be transfered, but I do not think that is the issue here. I am afraid I do not quite understand what you are trying to say.
Stahlseele
I am trying to say that as per the rules, there is NOTHING stating that Regeneration is MAGICAL healing as far as i remember. Which, of course, it is. But the rules don't say that it seems.
So there is nothing really stopping anybody from taking a character with Regeneration and that Adept Power and go to town. Aside from the flaws that come with all the Ways that can give you Regeneration.
GreyBrother
Um... it says that Regeneration can't heal Drain and Magical Damage.
Certain types of damage cannot be regenerated from this
power. Damage to the brain or spinal cord (for example, from a
called shot to the head) cannot be healed this way. Likewise, magical
damage from weapon foci, combat spells, critter/adept powers,
or other magic may not be healed through Regeneration.

So, the question if this transferred Damage is magical or handled like the damage which caused it.

I'd treat it as whatever the source of the damage it was. So, if Ravioli the shapeshifter transfers the bulletshot from his buddy Otaktay to himself, he can heal it but if Otaktay got hit by a manabolt he can tranfer it but not regenerate.
Stahlseele
Yeah, that's from OUTSIDE things that affect him i would say O.o
So he can't regenerate Damage DONE TO HIM BY OUTSIDE FORCE caused by Weapon Focus, Adept Power or Spell Damage.
but his very OWN Powers? O.o At least, that's how i would be reading that paragraph.
Zormal
Your GM might rule either way.

The stricter interpretation would be that all healing done like this is caused by magic (even though it is his own). This would keep the usual balance of the healing power, which is a big argument outside of the rules.

Personally I'd go with GreyBrother's ruling. If a wound was magical, it stays magical even after it gets transferred to another person. A bullet hole could be empathetically healed and then regenerated, but Drain or damage from a Spell could not.

From a metagaming perspective this would allow for everyone in the group to benefit from one Shapeshifter's regeneration ability, but prevent two Shapeshifters from circumventing the limitation of not regenerating magical damage. Sounds like fun for all, so that's the way I would go, even though it bends the rules to the runners' advantage a bit.
Neraph
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 1 2009, 03:40 AM) *
Strictly speaking, I would say that it is magical damage from an adept power and thus doesn't regenerate.

This is how I would run it.

And Stahlseele, please stop yelling at us, it hurts my.. eyes? Ears? Something like that wobble.gif
Method
I'm not sure where the issue is. Regeneration rules state quite clearly that you cannot regenerate damage accrued through use of an adept power.
Megu
I've let the combo work for at least one NPC shifter already. I figure it's not too unbalancing. First you gotta transfer the damage, then wait for it to heal? And remember that these critters don't exactly have medkits for the most part, so their other options are limited.

However, I also agree with GreyBrother that it depends on the source of the damage. Bullet holes are fine to heal this way, Manabolts and Drain not so much. It seems like pretty much any magical way to heal Drain is a little too much like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Frankly, I just did it so my wolf pack could have a territorial scuffle with armed runners and have a way to recover after taking some damage in the skirmish.
Pendaric
I would for game reality go with grey bother's method. Just to confuse things though I would make my call based on wether the group had already got one/more magical healer and how many had Biotech plus med kits.

Healing of any strip is a down time action, by this I mean not when your actually going toe to toe. So by controlling plot pace it all comes down how fast you want your runners ready for the next run or fight?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012