Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting defenses for the defenseless
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
thelovedr
I have been inspired by knasser's mage Wiggy from the vignette thread. He looks like lots of fun to play, so I am making a semi equivalent gnome version in a new game I am playing. He will be 13, and I'm making him very good at magic, but I have to make him not good at something so I picked dodge. I'm happy with the idea, so I don't want to change it. It does however bring up the problem of survivability, which I am turning to you dumpshockers for some additional ideas. So far I've got:
1) Improved Invisibility
2) Trid Phantasm
3) Arcane Arrestor and a high-ish will for incoming magic
4) He is a gnome, so he already looks younger than he is. I plan on RP'ing that up to stay out of trouble.
5) Levitation to keep where people wont expect me.
Ravor
Don't be so sure that just because you look like a kid that people won't take advantage of you, this is the Sixth World afterall.
thelovedr
I agree, infact I'm expecting it. That's kinda why I'm throwing it out to the dumpshock community. Its going to be a fun and challenging char to play.

From your other posts, you seem like an experienced shadowrunner so what are your suggestions if someone DOES try to take advantage?
Ravor
As a disclaimer, I have not read the fiction that inspired you so I may be barking up the wrong tree, but as a general rule I'd do pretty much the same things as I would with any character which basically boils down to "Always expect trouble. Always have a plan to kill every fragging slot in the room. Always know the route to the closest exit. And never, ever trust the team's Decker with your gear or the Sammy with your guns."

As a Mage you have an advantage over mundanes in that it is fragging near impossible to "disarm" you, but that just means that people who realize the truth aren't going to be gentle, but most people tend to forget that Mages can learn the various "touch spells" as well as the LoS ones.

Also something that you might want to think about is, does your character enjoy being treated like a child or does he resent it?
TheOOB
The term "Geek the mage first" comes to mind.
Ravor
Sure, which is why the responce should always be "Which one is the Mage?"
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 2 2009, 08:26 PM) *

"If we each fire an airburst HE grenade at a different one of them I'll bet we'll screw up the mage."
Sir_Psycho
If you're not going to be dodging, I'd suggest an Armor spell? It'd be pretty demoralizing to see a child walk through a smg burst and then melt everyone with an area effect spell.

Also, is there a defensive use for spirits?

Speaking of, are you just a mage or do you have another tradition or mentor spirit. Also, what spirits are you going to be using?
hobgoblin
unless i am totally off target, a armor spell is like a big neon "here is the mage" sign. This from the simple issue that it glows...
Glyph
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 2 2009, 09:44 PM) *
unless i am totally off target, a armor spell is like a big neon "here is the mage" sign. This from the simple issue that it glows...

Exactly. That's why I would only take that spell for a full frontal assault combat mage (or a support mage casting it on the troll tank). For any other character, the advantage of extra armor (which is not hardened armor, by the way, so those SMG's can still take you out) if offset by lighting yourself up with the equivalent of a neon sign. Spells like combat sense or deflection are better - they help you to not get hit in the first place, and they don't draw the same kind of attention to you.
thelovedr
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 2 2009, 06:51 PM) *
Also something that you might want to think about is, does your character enjoy being treated like a child or does he resent it?

I hadnt thought about it until you asked, but he is going to like it. I love it when kids want to learn from me, so I think he (the char) will too.

QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 2 2009, 08:50 PM) *
"If we each fire an airburst HE grenade at a different one of them I'll bet we'll screw up the mage."

If that comes, I will be up poo creak without a paddle.

Sir_Psycho: I'm playing a hermetic mage. I've paid BP for a mentor spirit but I haven't selected one yet. I'm leaning toward trickster or raven. I'm always open to suggestions though since I'm still pretty much a n00b to SR4.

Blade
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 3 2009, 04:26 AM) *

Which is why the correct approach is: "geek everyone first!"
Zaranthan
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 2 2009, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 2 2009, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 3 2009, 08:48 AM) *
Which is why the correct approach is: "geek everyone first!"

This is why I like playing troll mages with SWAT armor and Heavy Weapons. Lay down a suppressive burst with your first pass, then toss a few stunbolts. Do it right, and everyone tries to geek the decker first.
thelovedr
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Aug 3 2009, 06:32 AM) *
This is why I like playing troll mages with SWAT armor and Heavy Weapons. Lay down a suppressive burst with your first pass, then toss a few stunbolts. Do it right, and everyone tries to geek the decker first.

I like the way you think sir!
Neraph
QUOTE (thelovedr @ Aug 3 2009, 01:24 AM) *
Sir_Psycho: I'm playing a hermetic mage. I've paid BP for a mentor spirit but I haven't selected one yet. I'm leaning toward trickster or raven. I'm always open to suggestions though since I'm still pretty much a n00b to SR4.

Dragon or Adversary mentor are my personal favorites, from Street Magic.

QUOTE (Glyph Posted Today, 12:23 AM )
Spells like combat sense or deflection are better - they help you to not get hit in the first place, and they don't draw the same kind of attention to you.

Exactly.

EDIT: Don't forget Physical Double Image.
Neraph
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 2 2009, 07:51 PM) *
As a Mage you have an advantage over mundanes in that it is fragging near impossible to "disarm" you, but that just means that people who realize the truth aren't going to be gentle, but most people tend to forget that Mages can learn the various "touch spells" as well as the LoS ones.

Who says you can't use LOS spells in CQC situations?
Ravor
I might be able to explain it to you if I knew what the hell you meant by "CQC".
Ravor
Ok, assuming that you meant Close Quaters Combat, the answer is no-one has said that. However I wasn't talking about trying to cast spells while in a melee, I was talknig about trying to cast spells after you've had your eyes plucked out of your head, or at the very least with a blindfold.
hobgoblin
close quarters combat...

also known as hand to hand, or melee combat...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012