Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Launche missiles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
Information in Arsenal

Missile type Launch Platform

Aztechnology Series 5 Iron Bomb Wing or body of aircraft
Cardeon Mark78 Torpedo Large Torpedo Launcher
Esprit Corail Depth Charge Surface Marine vessels + aircrafts ?
Mitsubishi-GM Outlaw ? Missile Launchers
Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo ? Missile Launchers
Proteus AG Piranha Mini-Toredo Small Torpedo Launcher
Saab-Saaker AIM-27 Sparrow Hawk ? Missile Launchers

I would like to know what the launcher/weapon types I need for the following missiles:

Aztechnology Series 5 Iron Bomb
Esprit Corail Depth Charge
Mitsubishi-GM Outlaw
Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo
Saab-Saaker AIM-27 Sparrow Hawk
Neraph
Aztechnology Series 5 Iron Bomb - Attach to the wings of an aircraft; no launch platform required (Launch Weapons, page 124, Arsenal).

Esprit Corail Depth Charge - Depth charge dispensor, only the Celebrian Striker (page 115, Arsenal) is listed as having one; there is no price I could find for the dispenser.

Mitsubishi-GM Outlaw - Missile Launcher. I would imagine, since they want special launch platforms, this means the Fleche Hail Barrage Rocket Launcher (page 124, Arsenal), even though that fires rockets and the Outlaw is a missile. Maybe any missile launcher will do, but it could only fire the Outlaw while mounted on a vehicle.

Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo - Torpedo launcher (page 146, Arsenal).

Saab-Saaker AIM-27 Sparrow Hawk - Again, possibly the Fleche Hail Barrage Rocket Launcher, although any missile launcher that is mounted on a vehicle should work. It can also be fired from torpedo launchers.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Marduc @ Aug 6 2009, 04:23 PM) *
Information in Arsenal

Missile type Launch Platform

Aztechnology Series 5 Iron Bomb Wing or body of aircraft
Cardeon Mark78 Torpedo Large Torpedo Launcher
Esprit Corail Depth Charge Surface Marine vessels + aircrafts ?
Mitsubishi-GM Outlaw ? Missile Launchers
Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo ? Missile Launchers
Proteus AG Piranha Mini-Toredo Small Torpedo Launcher
Saab-Saaker AIM-27 Sparrow Hawk ? Missile Launchers

I would like to know what the launcher/weapon types I need for the following missiles:

Aztechnology Series 5 Iron Bomb
Esprit Corail Depth Charge
Mitsubishi-GM Outlaw
Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo
Saab-Saaker AIM-27 Sparrow Hawk

in older versions i would have said a heavy hardpoint and a launch control system. but these days, no clue.

and the bit of text that neraph is pointing to sounds more like a generic fluff explanation that should have been fleshed out with a bit more crunch in a latter section, but never materialized...

my solution is to have one launch weapon pr heavy hardpoint, +1 pr ammo bin attached to said hardpoint.

at least, that makes the eagle able to match a FA-18 in firepower...
Kerrang
Each one of these weapons requires a weapon mount on the vehicle.

The only weapons on your list that require a dedicated launcher are the Torpedoes, which require the torpedo launcher previously mentioned, they will also require a weapon mount to which the launcher must be attached.

The other weapons simply require the weapon mounts. Missiles and rockets are entirely different weapons, rockets are fired from pods (launchers) and are unguided. Missiles fire from simple rails, and are guided. Attempting to fire a missile from a rocket launcher would be an exercise in futility.
hobgoblin
what the name of that warmaster troll of seattle again?

i felt like building a updated stalin organ in his honor now...
Kerrang
I think what hobgoblin is trying to say, is that this has already been covered, and a simple search for Launch Weapons would have yielded the following result:
Launch Weapons Thread here on Dumpshock

I am not entirely sure, however, why he did not just come out and say that...
Neraph
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 6 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Each one of these weapons requires a weapon mount on the vehicle.

The only weapons on your list that require a dedicated launcher are the Torpedoes, which require the torpedo launcher previously mentioned, they will also require a weapon mount to which the launcher must be attached.

The other weapons simply require the weapon mounts. Missiles and rockets are entirely different weapons, rockets are fired from pods (launchers) and are unguided. Missiles fire from simple rails, and are guided. Attempting to fire a missile from a rocket launcher would be an exercise in futility.

Wrong.

QUOTE (Neraph Posted Today, 10:09 AM )
Esprit Corail Depth Charge - Depth charge dispensor, only the Celebrian Striker (page 115, Arsenal) is listed as having one; there is no price I could find for the dispenser.
Kerrang
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 6 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Wrong.

I do not agree.

The depth charge itself does not mention a need for a launcher, and there is no depth charge launcher in the vehicle mods section like you have for torpedo launchers. I take the Weapon Mount description in the Striker to mean that you can only use one of the mounts for depth charges, while the other 2 are multi purpose. This still would not prevent you from mounting depth charges to another surface marine vehicle or aircraft (the depth charge description only allows them on these types of vehicles), simply by adding a weapon mount.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 6 2009, 11:37 AM) *
I do not agree.

The depth charge itself does not mention a need for a launcher, and there is no depth charge launcher in the vehicle mods section like you have for torpedo launchers. I take the Weapon Mount description in the Striker to mean that you can only use one of the mounts for depth charges, while the other 2 are multi purpose. This still would not prevent you from mounting depth charges to another surface marine vehicle or aircraft (the depth charge description only allows them on these types of vehicles), simply by adding a weapon mount.

I would say you would need a heavy weapon mount and an Ammo Bin or two for extra Depth Charge Capacity...
Neraph
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 6 2009, 12:37 PM) *
I do not agree.

The depth charge does, in fact, mention a need for a launcher, since it is listed in the Launch Weapons section of the book, and the opening for that section states "that can be fired from specialized launch platforms," emphasis added.

Now, you are correct in saying that there is no listed price in the vehicle mount section, but there is one vehicle, the Celebrian Striker, that is listed with that weapon mod (therefore stating that it does exist and is needed to use depth charges). Logic would follow that that vehicle is the only one capable of utilizing depth charges, until some errata adding the depth charge dispenser comes out.

You are allowed to disagree with me as much as you want. However, in this case, you'd be flat wrong.
hobgoblin
i think the depth charge launcher showed up in a errata...

never mind, i was wrong...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 6 2009, 06:08 PM) *
I think what hobgoblin is trying to say, is that this has already been covered, and a simple search for Launch Weapons would have yielded the following result:
Launch Weapons Thread here on Dumpshock

I am not entirely sure, however, why he did not just come out and say that...

i didnt feel like wrestling with the search system...
Marduc
The Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo doesn't state if it should be launched from a large or small torpedo launcher. In the description of the other torpedo's it is stated which launcher you should use.

Maybe we could get a def to clearify this?

Als for the missiles, could they be launched from a normal missile launcher, but if this is the case, could a hand carried missilelauncher of the same type be used to launch the missile.

(if it fits in the launcher when attached to a vehicle, then the missile'll also fit when the launcher is detachted and hand carried, but the missiles are listed under vehicle weapons..)
Kerrang
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 6 2009, 09:51 PM) *
The depth charge does, in fact, mention a need for a launcher, since it is listed in the Launch Weapons section of the book, and the opening for that section states "that can be fired from specialized launch platforms," emphasis added.

Depth charges, much like bombs, do not need launchers in order to be used. If you would have completed the quote from Arsenal above, you would have noticed that it continues on to say "or released from the wings of aircraft and helicopters". Even the description of the Espirit Corail Depth Charge tells you they can be dropped from aircraft. This is a perfectly acceptable, and historic method of delivery for depth charges, as well as the tried and true method of just rolling them off of the back of a ship. Take a look at the link below and scroll down to the section titled Delivery Systems:

Wikipedia on Depth Charges

"The first delivery mechanism was to simply roll the "ashcans" off racks at the stern of the attacking vessel."
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 6 2009, 09:51 PM) *

Corrected that for you.

Can =/= are, must.
Can = may, optional.
Neraph
QUOTE (Marduc @ Aug 7 2009, 04:18 AM) *
The Maersk Fiske Supercavitating Torpedo doesn't state if it should be launched from a large or small torpedo launcher. In the description of the other torpedo's it is stated which launcher you should use.

Maybe we could get a def to clearify this?

Als for the missiles, could they be launched from a normal missile launcher, but if this is the case, could a hand carried missilelauncher of the same type be used to launch the missile.

(if it fits in the launcher when attached to a vehicle, then the missile'll also fit when the launcher is detachted and hand carried, but the missiles are listed under vehicle weapons..)

(handwaivum) "The recoil from firing those missiles is so large that only when attached to a vehicle can they be fired."
Falconer
I'd say bombs would require the use of a weapon hardpoint. (though probably not a heavy mount)

Look at the air supply drone... it has two specialized 'mounts' used for cargo drops. I'd say any aircraft intending to use bombs probably requires similar assemblies if it wants to have any precision at all.

The problem here is that the bomb needs to seperate cleanly and reliably from the aircraft in order to have any accuracy. They actually use something akin to shotgun blanks to shoot bombs off the weapon pylons in a controlled AND REPEATABLE manner.

As far as the other comment regarding missiles and rockets. None of the missiles referenced really is anything like what we think of as an aircraft missile fired off a hardpoint. And the rules are quite explicit that the handheld missile launchers can fire both rockets and missiles (missiles just cost more and have better accuracy/guidance). So for a lot of those, I'd think

I'd say that most of them would either be similar to the Heimdall and you'd just load them into a multi-launch drone rack type box launcher. Or you'd load them into an automated missile launcher similar to the TOW tubes you see on top of HMMWV's w/ some sort of autoloading mechanism.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012