Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I go overboard on my character size-wise?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Foreigner
The title says it all, I guess. smile.gif

Would someone have an idea what the correct starting weight would be for a properly proportioned male Human who is 6' 6" in height, and has STR 6?

Now that I think about it, 300-plus pounds sounds more than a little heavy. eek.gif

I suppose that I can always make him heavier as his muscle mass increases (by using the Adept ability of "Increase Attribute: Strength", or something of the sort), can't I?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

--Foreigner
Zimbabwean Aardvark
Well, SR3 states that 6 is the maximum unaugmented strength a human can have (and then they give you rules for using karma to raise your rating higher, but I degress). So if you think Governer Shwartzeneger, add a bit more mass, you'll probably end up with 300 lbs or so. I mean, the guy is 6'6". Or you could just use the average Ork, which gives you 94 kg (about 200 lbs).
Herald of Verjigorm
6 is not the human max. 9 is the common human potential. 11 is the exceptional human potential. Expect bodybuilders to be in the 7-9 range, with a few extremes.
Foreigner
Zimbabwean Aardvark: Thanks for the input.

Herald of Verjigorm: Thank you. I'd forgotten that. I thought STR 6 was the ABSOLUTE maximum that a Human could achieve without resorting to some form of magical, bioware, or cyberware strength enhancement. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
In SR terms, The Governator was probably at 10 or 11 at his best. I think the Mr Olympias are generally in that range, because those guys have to have an "aptitude" for that crap (ie Exceptional Attr: Strength) in addition to training a lot of taking a lot of steroids.

No idea what a proper weight for that character should be. I'd put him at maybe 220-240lbs, but that depends heavily on what you want him to look like. I've never seen the cartoon character in question.
Zimbabwean Aardvark
Also use his body rating to determine his weight. I mean, this is the atribute that absorbs damage, so I think it would be more indicative.
Zimbabwean Aardvark
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
6 is not the human max. 9 is the common human potential. 11 is the exceptional human potential. Expect bodybuilders to be in the 7-9 range, with a few extremes.

On page 41 of the SR3, it says that 6 is the "maximun unmodified human." I know youcan raise your ratings beyond that, which is why I said that it describes rules to do so.
Austere Emancipator
Body and Quickness both might be good indicators, but I think that in this case the pictures of the character in question might be even better. A high Body might mean that you are really big and fat and thus able to "soak" that damage better, or it might mean that you are of small stature and light weight but in perfect condition and a healthy as a human being can be -- basically a sumo wrestler vs a kung-fu whateverd00d, both very capable of taking a lot of punishment and retaining operational capability, but of very different stature.

Quickness might actuall be better, because high values at least rule out extremely high weights. Still, someone 6'6" with Str/Bod/Qui 6s could easily weigh that 300lbs -- I'm getting an american football player image. But he could also weigh 180lbs.
Glyph
By the way, I wouldn't give the Mr. Olympias a Strength of 10-11, more like 8 or 9, maybe even less. Their muscles are for display. I would give the higher Strengths to Olympic powerlifters.
Foreigner
Okay:

As created by Sahandrian for his AOL Instant Messenger campaign, "The Foreigner" 's top 3 stats are as follows:

Body: 5
Quickness: 6
Strength: 6

Any ideas what a 6' 6" guy with those stats would look like in terms of general build?

Sorry, BTW. embarrassed.gif I should have included that information in my original post.

--Foreigner
Centurion
Speaking as a 6'4" human, 300lbs is a bit much, considering all. I'm currently 200 pounds albiet I'm probably around B4 Q2 S4 IRL, but another two inches and that addition of str is probably not going to end up adding 100lbs.

It depends on whether you want the "bodybuilder" look or the "infantryman" look. The latter tending to be much smaller mass-wise and more functional. What are his other stats? If his Qui is 6, he'll also want to be reasonably light, speaking from experience it was a heck of a lot easier to move faster back when I was 160 lbs (and probably made most SR elves look like Mr. Olympia by comparison). Bod would also be a consideration but not as much since as already has been stated, it can be fudged to account for either physical size, physical fitness, or a combination of the two.

In short, around ork sized, 220-230 would probably be ideal.

"Increase Attribute: Strength",

I was under the impression that body enhancements gained through adept powers weren't visible. i.e., a str 2-3 with enough adept str enhancements would be a tiny weedy person throwing large heavy objects (and people) around with ease.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Centurion)
"Increase Attribute: Strength",

I was under the impression that body enhancements gained through adept powers weren't visible. i.e., a str 2-3 with enough adept str enhancements would be a tiny weedy person throwing large heavy objects (and people) around with ease.

I think he was probably referring the edge from Shadowrun Companion that allows you to raise your natural unmodified limit by 1 point. If you raise your limit from 6 (9) to 7 (11) you could get 11 strength without steroids. With steroids, Im sure a 12 might be possible (but who wants to have shrivvely scruples and boobs?).
Foreigner
Centurion, DamienKnight:

Thanks.

I figured I was out of line with that 300-plus-pound stuff. An average male Ork (6' 3" tall, and 209 lbs. according to SR3, or 278 lbs. according to Patrick Goodman's article, "How Much Did You Say He Weighed?", from Issue #13 of The Shadowrun Supplemental) has an average male human at 5' 7" and 154 lbs. Extrapolating that to a height of 6' 6", we have 178 lbs., but that's for a Human of that height of AVERAGE strength, which would be STR 3 for a Human.

Going along with what Centurion said, I expect that 220 to 230 pounds would be closer to the mark.

--Foreigner
BumsofTacoma
well. I sometimes like to say having a high strenght and body doesnt make you huge. especially bioware or magic enhanced bod and str.

It might just be that your incredibly fit, toned and just know how to use your str more effectivley. And cyber/bio/magic doesnt really alter apearance (unless obvios cyber) Like adept power, it's magical str and bod, just increases the effectivness of the muscle thats already there. etc etc. Yadda yadda.

This is just a little exuse for me and my characters having high stats but not looking the part.
annachie
To be honest, look at the pro-wrestlers, assuming you can get accurate stats for them. smile.gif
Most of the 'power' types would be in the 6 to 8 range for strength, and many of them are around the 6'6 mark.
Centurion
Goodman's stuff is nice stuff for some things, (i.e., the really big and small metahumans), but 209lbs for a 6'3" heavily built individual sounds about spot on.

Also, since we're on the topic, does 160 lbs (before bonelacing) sound about right for a highly athletic 6 ft human female (B3/4, S5, Q6) with a very small frame (Concept is a competent elf poser covert ops)?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Glyph)
By the way, I wouldn't give the Mr. Olympias a Strength of 10-11, more like 8 or 9, maybe even less. Their muscles are for display. I would give the higher Strengths to Olympic powerlifters.

That ain't much of a difference. Just because I love Google, I searched for lift records for Mr Olympias and olympic powerlifters. Ronnie Coleman (Mr Olympia 2003, I think) can deadlift a bit over 800lbs, while the biggest competitive deadlift in a sanctioned powerlifting contest is (or was at the time) 925lbs. This site might be a bit pro-bodybuilder, bit it gives logical reasoning as to why champion bodybuilders are as "strong" as powerlifters.

Finding accurate numbers for world records in powerlifting is simple enough, but it seems most of the stuff on bodybuilding sites and said by the bodybuilders in interviews is bullshit (they all say they've done 100+ pounds over the respective world records). Even after deflation, and using only the numbers from actual contests, Mr Olympias seem to be only ~50lbs behind olympic powerlifters.

So it's certainly possible that the heaviest olympic powerlifters are more commonly hitting the magic 11 than Mr Olympias, and the former probably have better Athletics scores (even if that no longer helps in lifting something, per SRComp). But 10 should be rather common with both, and many Mr Olympias will also be at 11.

Unless you can think of a better way to measure "Strength" than lift records, or some better comparison than powerlifters.

And for the actual topic: I'm with Centurion, 220lbs-230lbs sounds good for an athletic build 6'6" male. If you want him to look exactly like in the Marvel comics, you might have to make it more than that, because it seems most of the "strong" guys in those are really huge and would easily be 300lbs+ at that height.

QUOTE (Centurion)
Also, since we're on the topic, does 160 lbs (before bonelacing) sound about right for a highly athletic 6 ft human female (B3/4, S5, Q6) with a very small frame (Concept is a competent elf poser covert ops)?

Sounds reasonable. That's not based on any sort of data, it just sounds reasonable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012