Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you ever drawn up a character based on characters from other works?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
'Sconnie
I did a few just for the hell of it.

I did a couple based on Rally Vincent and Minnie May form the manga/anime Gunsmith Cats
Also did one based on Jim Lahey from the excellent Canadian sitcom Trailer Park Boys

I'm not planning on playing them anytime soon, (the one based on Lahey in particular would be more of a burden to a team than an asset.) but they might make decent NPCs somewhere down the line.

I don't have thier stats with me right now, but if you'd like I'd be glad to oblige sometime later.
McCummhail
It isn't a player character, but I drafted up a cyber-zombie based on Pierot from one of the later episodes of Cowboy Bebop.
Nearly invincible clown assassins are freaky to say the least, even without adding flavor from the severe cyber-psychoses.
Summerstorm
Hm... influenced massivly: Yes. But a straight adaptation: No.

Also: Pierot is awesome. (How he gets defeated is an awesomly powerful scene)

I for example did a conversion of Spike how he was depicted in the first episode (I just loved the scene where he was wearing a poncho and going Jeet-Kune-Do on that drugged up guys ass) Born was Ponch: a weird easygoing, cool dude. Wearing a techno-poncho (armored) kicking the shit out of people for money *g*.

I always take only aspects or looks from a character in fiction to make my own. Feels not right to play someone another guy developed.
Neraph
I designed a character based on a Grey Knight Terminator from Warhammer 40,000.

My current character is a Prince Arthas clone.
Pollution
I made up a Cyberpunk character in SR4 last year. His name was Styles (i.e. Sytle over Substance).

The dude had a TON of contacts, Face type abilities, and his cyberware was ALL Best of the Best of the Best.

Like instead of Bio, it had to be Cyber. Instead of Wired Reflexes it HAD to be MbW. Spent tons of BP on High Lifestyle.

The guy could hack a bit too. But no custom stuff, just best of the best for comlink and OS. His programs were all rating 6.

He ended up spending TONS on Auctioneer business clothes for armor, and nice Bikes for vehicles. Nothing could be crap. It was Alpha or nothing. Weapons all modified and customized. But mainly just cosmetic changes. I even bought him the "Mr. Stud implant" in Augmentation.

How'd I pull this off you ask? Easy. Stats got about 100 BP, Edge got 40 (for total of 6 Edge). Human. Some skills were taken naturally. Mostly Skill Groups for Negotiation or individual stuff like Artisan. Then I got Skillwires and spent BANK getting chips for them. Saved a ton of BP from skills and put them into resources.

Qualities were Rich Kid (yeah, I know) and Elf Posure.

Dude was a BLAST to play. Had NO dice pools above 6 or so but he was silly fun to RP. He could do anything, just not overtly well (hence having the 6 Edge to make up for it when he needed it).

I've been tempted to play him again as the group's hacker. He didn't do too well at that stuff, but he didn't suck.
StealthSigma
My current character's concept was influenced by two fictional characters.

Desmond Hume from Lost. I liked Desmond's mannerisms, and he is an influence for how my character acts.

Saito from Ghost in the Shell. What I liked about Saito was that in a heavily cyberized unit, Saito was one of the most "human" characters. So instead of restricting the total amount of augments, I've instead made my character use just bioware and genetech for augmentation.
Mr. Mage
I made an adept based on Prince Nuada of the Hellboy 2 movie once... he was even an elf with a major superiority complex and was incredibly charismatic and intelligent as well as being able to do a double backflip from a standing position and hit you in the heart with a longspear... Yes...he even used a spear just like in the movie...
Most of my other charas are "original"...and by that I mean they aren't really based on any specific character, but they may have small quirks inspired by another character, though I don't always remember who...
Maelstrome
ive made vermilion and chaos from toshinden,the majority of the read or die cast,roger smith,dorothy,the archangel from baroque,ark from terranigma, kenshin from samurai x,the team beat up on a copy of edward cullin,the doctor from doctor who. thats all i can think up for the moment. and for the records most of the characters were not serious characters. vermilion was the only one that saw major use.
Bull
Made and actually played? No. But I worked up stats (and a couple custom powers that have since shown up in one form or another in the game) for a Spider-man character as a Physad. I also worked up rules for playing Gargoyles (ala the Disney Cartoon) and Immortals (ala the Highlander movies).

I loosely based an ex-cop Minotaur Gunslinger in a D20 Modern Urban Arcana game on Vic Mackey from The Shield.

That's about it though.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Aug 6 2009, 03:14 PM) *
the doctor from doctor who

You are now my favorite person in the world...
Did you have a TARDIS? (I don't care whether someone wants to argue whether a TARDIS could be done RAW or not, I just want to know if you had one)

QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 6 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I also worked up rules for playing Gargoyles (ala the Disney Cartoon) and Immortals (ala the Highlander movies).

You are now my second favorite person in the world...and can you post said Gargoyle and/or Highlander rules...I am quite interested...
Bull
Second favorite? WHo's first? I gotta bump them off! wink.gif

The Highlander stuff can be found in The Shadowrun Supplemental, Issue #13. This includes a piece of short fiction to go along with it.

I threw the Gargoyle rules up on my currently bare website: http://bull.dumpshock.com/gargoyle.html

I also posted up the first part of a never finished story featuring the Seattle Clan of Gargoyles I had created. I also used this story to basically wrap up an ongoing personal plot line from mage I played named Chaos. So it's a bit self-indulgent. And, the bit with his Ally/Free Spirit predates Dumpshock (And Deep Resonance) by several years wink.gif -- http://bull.dumpshock.com/garg1.html

It should be noted the rules for both are very early 3rd edition, and were adapted from 2nd edition versions smile.gif
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Second favorite? WHo's first? I gotta bump them off! wink.gif

Look at my Post... Maelstrome, because the Doctor is just effin' fantastic!

And thanks for the links...Don't know if I'll ever get around to using them but they'll certainly be an interesting read....
Bull
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Aug 6 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Look at my Post... Maelstrome, because the Doctor is just effin' fantastic!

And thanks for the links...Don't know if I'll ever get around to using them but they'll certainly be an interesting read....

I'm planning to get my website functional again at some point (I'm learning CSS and relearning HTML), and when I do, I'm going to update these (and a bunch of others) to SR4 stats (and I'll keep the SR3 stuff available as well).

And Maelstrome? Watch your back! wink.gif
Mr. Mage
You know...I was just going to ask about SR4 versions of it...so far the Gargoyles stuff is pretty interesting, and I'm starting to get a bit of nostalgia, wanting to watch the cartoon again...

I've got people fighting for my affection? SWEET!
Bull
WHen I originally wrote those, the USA network was showing back to back Gargoyle episodes every morning, and I was video taping them. And watching them. A LOT. Also there's a link at the bottom that amazingly still works that goes to CHristine Morgan's old site. She had done up a series of short stories that I really liked that effectively form a 3rd season to the original (And ignoring the less than spectacular "Goliath Chronicles"), so I drew a lot of inspiration from that.

The Highlander stuff was likewise done due to watching a lot of Highlander: The Series.

I always wanted to do rules for playing a Pretender, but could never quite work up a set of rules that I felt was balanced and made sense. The best I could come up with was a set of "free floating" skill points that could be reallocated to a new skill with minimal study and practice, but that didn't work because the Pretenders never actually forgot anything. ANd reducing the karma costs down enough for it to fit the show wasn't reasonable. Ahh well.

Bull
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 6 2009, 04:31 PM) *
WHen I originally wrote those, the USA network was showing back to back Gargoyle episodes every morning, and I was video taping them. And watching them. A LOT. Also there's a link at the bottom that amazingly still works that goes to CHristine Morgan's old site. She had done up a series of short stories that I really liked that effectively form a 3rd season to the original (And ignoring the less than spectacular "Goliath Chronicles"), so I drew a lot of inspiration from that.

The Highlander stuff was likewise done due to watching a lot of Highlander: The Series.

I always wanted to do rules for playing a Pretender, but could never quite work up a set of rules that I felt was balanced and made sense. The best I could come up with was a set of "free floating" skill points that could be reallocated to a new skill with minimal study and practice, but that didn't work because the Pretenders never actually forgot anything. ANd reducing the karma costs down enough for it to fit the show wasn't reasonable. Ahh well.

Bull

Hmmm... I never watched the Pretender, but it sounds interesting...
As for the Free-Floating skill points, I once created a group of "Meta-Gaming" classes for DnD which pretty much allowed the characters to do just that.... they even broke the 4th wall!
Inspiriation was from Red Mage, of 8-Bit Theater
Erl of Ingst
I made a character based on me... I quickly realized that people in the real world don't make very good Shadowrunners. Are stats are lousy and our motivation to do major crimes just to survive are close to nil.

I guess I could adapt my characterization of me to a more suitable character, but I didn't really spend much time on it. Besides, why would I want to play a character based on me when I could play a character based on someone else? I can play "me" any day.

My point was, the only character I made based on anyone (fact or fiction) was myself. Is that self-centered?
GreyBrother
I once made an AI inspired by Blaine the Pain from Stephen Kings Dark Tower. Instead of being a train, he was some kind of endboss in an MMO and he lost his sister, obsessed with riddles and sees no value in human life except as pawns.

Another thing i did was a ghoul adept, who could jump ridiculously high and far and use that as an attempt to subdue his enemies while he chokes/slashes the shit out of them. The original? Hunter Zombie from Left 4 Dead.

I am often inspired to "copy" a character i like and when i want to set up the charsheet realize that "this one thing makes him cool for you, you can't base a character on just that" and so it wanders into my "Ideas Bowl" in my head, where it cooks and blubbers around with other ideas and one day it gets "BING!" and i have a great character.

I will roll on, riddledidum, i'm best. wink.gif
Maxwell
Nearly all my characters are "inspired" by one ore more characters from movies and games.

In SR3 I had:

"Beck" from The Rundown, strong tough guy with shotguns and whips
Grammaton Cleric "John Preston" from Equilibrium dual pistol wielding adept
"Frank" from Transporter nice limousine awesome driver and some serious combat skills
"John McLane" from Die Hard always at the wrong time at the wrong place

ATM I play 3 characters in SR4 which are based on movie characters... these are:

"El Wray" from Planet Terror
"Frankenstein" from Death Race (the better one with Jason Statham)
"Bionic Commando Guy" from the video game Bionic Commando (but I don't know how it's name was.

Previous Characters I played in SR4:

"Gambit" from X-Men based on the 1990s comic series
The Jake
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 6 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Bull

Threading and Biowire. After all the Resonance never forgets....

- J.
The Jake
Once, my first SR character that is my name sake was inspired by Jake Armitage from the SNES game, but eventually drew influence from Rutger Hauer's character Split Second and the old 90s Pc game Rise of the Dragon. These characters often become so unique you'd never know their original inspiration.

- J.
Excuse the spelling. Bloody iPhone.
Glyph
I sometimes take bits and pieces of a character from some other work (or better yet, a composite of several things that I found cool about several different characters), but I don't like porting over the entire character. It feels too much like putting a round peg into a square hole. But other works can definitely give inspiration. Not just stats, but personality - a bit of Bester from Babylon 5 would make a chilling ex-company man, for example.
AngelisStorm
Jayne - Firefly
Miho - Sin City

I enjoy taking characters I like and seeing if I can convincingly portray them. For the most part though, I take inspiration from characters, and then run with it.
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 7 2009, 04:18 PM) *
I sometimes take bits and pieces of a character from some other work (or better yet, a composite of several things that I found cool about several different characters), but I don't like porting over the entire character. It feels too much like putting a round peg into a square hole. But other works can definitely give inspiration. Not just stats, but personality - a bit of Bester from Babylon 5 would make a chilling ex-company man, for example.

I do something like that.

A vampire that combine bits of Smith(the Matrix), Hannibal Lector and the Joker(the Dark Knight).
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 6 2009, 07:11 PM) *
I designed a character based on a Grey Knight Terminator from Warhammer 40,000.
How did you integrate this character into a group of heretics, insurrectionist, criminals, daemon summoners and possibly mutants? Or did you just try to copy the 'ware and tactical dreadnought armour?

My current character is a Prince Arthas clone.
How did that work out for you?

I usually only take some aspect of other characters, sometimes I mix and match several characters, but I cannot remember that I ever build a straight copy.
Kalvan
I'm about to embark on a campaign using the Dawn of the Artifacts books emplpying the archetypes from the 4ed BBB using a Wizard of Oz theme:

Dorothy the Ork Gunslinger Adept
Scarecrow the Human Hougan of Ghede
Tin Man the Human Street Samurai
Cowardly Leon the Troll Rat Shaman
The Wiz the Dwarf Commlinker
Jenny Jump the Human Technomancer

Not all of them will be available to be used at the same time (due to scheduling conflicts) and I'm planing to do a few work arounds myself.

And the name of the group: The Mad Baumers! wink.gif
Roy Fokker
i made an NPC based on the Predator from the classic governator movie... (stealthy cybered ork with combat skills)
Maelstrome
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Aug 6 2009, 03:30 PM) *
You are now my favorite person in the world...
Did you have a TARDIS? (I don't care whether someone wants to argue whether a TARDIS could be done RAW or not, I just want to know if you had one)

You are now my second favorite person in the world...and can you post said Gargoyle and/or Highlander rules...I am quite interested...

i had a police box with metaplanar shortcut. silly.gif

edit:i also had a sonic screwdriver.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Aug 7 2009, 09:27 AM) *
i had a police box with metaplanar shortcut. silly.gif

edit:i also had a sonic screwdriver.

good enough!
The Jake
QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Aug 7 2009, 01:00 PM) *
i made an NPC based on the Predator from the classic governator movie... (stealthy cybered ork with combat skills)

I did this back in high school during SR2 days.

He was a troll initiate magician with anchored spells like invisibility, improved reflexes, detect enemies, etc and had the Ballista and a truckload of melee weapons. Headpiece was a sensor loaded helmet that was heavily customised. Basically part of an initiatory group that hunted paranormal beasties as an Ordeal.

- J.

PS: Sue me. I was young and impressionable.
Neraph
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 7 2009, 12:23 AM) *
I made a character based on me... I quickly realized that people in the real world don't make very good Shadowrunners. Are stats are lousy and our motivation to do major crimes just to survive are close to nil.

I guess I could adapt my characterization of me to a more suitable character, but I didn't really spend much time on it. Besides, why would I want to play a character based on me when I could play a character based on someone else? I can play "me" any day.

My point was, the only character I made based on anyone (fact or fiction) was myself. Is that self-centered?

I'm a martial artist security guard who's going to be going into the Marines as an officer. I'm married with a son. If they were to turn up dead one day, you can bet your ass that I'll make the Punisher look like Ronald McDonald.
Neraph
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 7 2009, 06:19 AM) *
How did you integrate this character into a group of heretics, insurrectionist, criminals, daemon summoners and possibly mutants? Or did you just try to copy the 'ware and tactical dreadnought armour?
Well first off, it was for a Government-sponsored spy-type campaign. So they'd be Imperial Guard in his eyes. One of them was going to be a mage, so I had to change my character.

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 7 2009, 06:19 AM) *
How did that work out for you?

Scary. The thread in my signature is the process I finished this last week. So now he's the Lich King; Nosferatu with a Force 8 Inhabitation Ally Spirit fused to him, with the two additional powers of Astral Gateway (Hell) and Essence Drain (Karma for Stun Damage).

We're about to retire the game.
Aberrant
I loosely based a rigger on Jason Statham in The Transporter, but he got changed a lot between concept and table.

Beyond that, I have done some conversions on paper of some characters and tech from the Halo Universe. Mostly weapons and speculations on a SPARTAN-II's stats
otakusensei
I put together a high class infiltration/thief type character for a game a few years ago. No cyberware, but I went nuts with gear and gadgets, all non-lethal weapons and an enemy in Interpol. My GM looked over the sheet and started comparing it to the mage and the street sam. Then he looks at me like "WTF?" and I just look at him and say "Think Lupin". Crazy fun single shot game.

The character went on to be an NPC in a few other games we ended up running. On the whole though I only ape another character if I'm stuck without a concept and not enough time to pick a gimmick. Even then I put my own spin on things to the point people generally don't know I'm play so-and-so with a wig.
OneTrikPony
tried to build Takeshi Kovacks from the Richard K. Morgan series. needed like 400 bp just for skills.

Figured an implanted comlink and full sim rig for the cortical stack. Skill wires and Persona Fix chips make it close enough to download a copy of yourself into a clone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012