Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dig Out Your Fiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
knasser

Hi,

Following some discussions that have come up in several other threads, I'm volunteering to put together an anthology of our fiction. This isn't an official project. This is something that would be a "book", downloadable. If you've been around Dumpshock for a bit, you probably know me and my site (link in sig if there's anyone who hasn't visited). We make a lot of Shadowrun material of *ahem* not bad quality I'm told with a couple of hundred materials downloaded every week.

This is not a tiny project. I mean to make a proper job of this and may even get some artwork done for a cover. But I stress it is a fan project: you're only getting the pleasure of knowing that your work is included in a body of other awesome work and will be read by many around the world.

I've discussed compiling people's work with a number of authors privately, and I know that there's an enthusiastic army of writers out there. I can't offer your work to appear on Amazon or on a site called Shadowrun4.com. I don't have a license to do that (believe me, I would love to get one). However, you do get some editorial input on your work, compiled in a printable format with some very good people and displayed on a well-trafficed Shadowrun site.

I'm doing this in a two stage approach. To get this off-the ground and provide an immediate fiction fix, I'm going to do a preliminary anthology of pre-written work. These will be things formerly published here or elsewhere (so long as the author retains rights to re-publish), or else stuff that's just sitting on people's hard drive. This will stimulate interest and give me a chance to gather feedback on the format of the book, see what people like, etc. This will still be a pretty swish piece of work, mind you. It's just that some of the stories will have been read by some people before.

The second stage, assuming the first stage gathers interest, would be to gather material written specifically for an anthology. I've seen the energy put into things like the Vignette thread, tisoz's excellent fiction competitions and I know from private conversations that there is material out there being written just for the sheer joy of writing it (the best kind in my experience). Now to write a full short story takes a lot more effort than a quick vignette, but its within most people's reach whilst still being fun. I have written two in the Shadowrun setting and if we go ahead with Stage 2, then I shall hopefully write a piece for this as well (I'll be looking for an editor for myself in that case).

I'm pencilling out a format of 8 - 10 pieces of work of length 3,000 to 7,000 words each (Preference is for pieces of 4,500 words upwards). That will give us the equivalent of a slim, but respectable paper-back fiction book.

If you are an author I haven't spoken to, and you have a story lying around on your hard drive that you think would be suitable, please email me at K@knasser.me.uk, attaching the story in some suitable format, ideally RTF, but whatever I can extract text from for formatting is fine. it doesn't matter if you have previously published the work here on Dumpshock or wherever, so long as you are the owner and you haven't given publishing rights over to any other party. But please let me know where it has been previously published.

Criteria for stories are as follows: Obviously taking place in the Shadowrun setting. Mature themes and content are fine. Explicit content if present should have a reason to be present. Length 3,000 - 7,000 words but somewhere around the middle is the aim unless the story really requires an extreme end of this. Authors of course retain copyright and rights to republish anywhere they like, but not to withdraw their pieces once published because you'll be inflicting a real headache on me (though if you really want me to withdraw a post-publication, I could look at doing that). I wont definitely accept a piece if I don't think it's appropriate to the volume, but please don't let that stop you submitting a piece.

Don't get waylaid into writing something new for this. Save that for the fancier second volume. For this, dig out existing work that you're proud of and would like to see brought to a new, wide audience.

I'll be going through some old stuff and asking some authors for specific pieces directly, but I don't have time to do this comprehensively and who knows what gems I might miss, hence this public plea.

Time scales for Stage 1 are as soon as I get sufficient material together and can produce this.

Thanks very much for all this. I think this project will be enormous fun.

Khadim Nasser.
Neraph
I'll be starting the memoir of my Nosferatu mage who recently successfully pulled off an Ally Spirit Inhabitation last week. 1st-person POV. It should be good.
wylie
love to submit, but what i got is only a few hundred words. some of us got the gift and some of us get the writer's block
(guess which one i am smile.gif )

it is a good idea. Esp with all the writers do inhabit these boards
knasser
QUOTE (wylie @ Aug 9 2009, 06:24 PM) *
love to submit, but what i got is only a few hundred words. some of us got the gift and some of us get the writer's block
(guess which one i am smile.gif )

it is a good idea. Esp with all the writers do inhabit these boards

The way to get past writers block is to write. Not as facetious as it sounds. Get over the Vignette thread and stick something in. Though some people have got very into it, the only rules are that it be Shadowrun stuff, comments are kept to the comments thread and most importantly that you enjoyed writing it. A quick paragraph about a samurai polishing his gun or something, and you'll find you've tricked yourself into writing.

Anyway, plenty of time before we reach the second volume which will be the all new one. This is just a call out to those I might miss who already have stuff ready. smile.gif

@Neraph: Sounds interesting. Do you have any existing material already or suitable length?

K.
Neraph
I started to write it, and changed the backhistory 5 times, then decided to f-it and just go journal styled. The back history will come out the way I want while writing the journal entries.
oboreruhito
I can volunteer my proofreading experience and InDesign skills, if either's wanted. I'd really love to see this happen in any case.
ravensmuse
I guess I'll be waiting for Stage 2 then smile.gif

Good, need to get my "oh god, please publish me" novel done first anyways biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012