Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: patching programs lifestyle cost help needed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
EH44
I am lifting a specific question I had from a related threat to get a quick answer if possible. I have a game this afternoon and trying to find out ASAP. Not trying to be lazy, but just having a heck of a time locating a page reference to provide an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In unwired, pg 118 goes into detail about target #'s and time intervals if you want to patch a freeware or open source program subject to degradation.

In unwired, pg 109 on the sidebar under getting hooked up, it says that GM's wanting to simplify bookkeeping can just add the patch costs to the character's lifestyle.

My question is where is the rules for patch costs located?. Is this a relative cost based on the character's lifestyle multiplied by the time interval to do the tasks? Or is there some chart or other basis for calculating patch costs? Please help a blind runner see!
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (EH44 @ Aug 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I am lifting a specific question I had from a related threat to get a quick answer if possible. I have a game this afternoon and trying to find out ASAP. Not trying to be lazy, but just having a heck of a time locating a page reference to provide an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In unwired, pg 118 goes into detail about target #'s and time intervals if you want to patch a freeware or open source program subject to degradation.

In unwired, pg 109 on the sidebar under getting hooked up, it says that GM's wanting to simplify bookkeeping can just add the patch costs to the character's lifestyle.

My question is where is the rules for patch costs located?. Is this a relative cost based on the character's lifestyle multiplied by the time interval to do the tasks? Or is there some chart or other basis for calculating patch costs? Please help a blind runner see!

Program updates and patches are also available on underground
file sharing networks and may be located in the same way. The cost for
program patches and updates (which restore the degraded program to
its full rating) is 10 percent of the difference in street cost between the
program’s current (degraded) rating and its full rating. All programs,
updates, etc. from an underground file-sharing network have their
copy protection cracked, if they ever had any to begin with.

Page 94 of Unwired. Took me a minute to find. I think that covers what you asked.
EH44
Thank you so much for the help, I really feel like rebuying unwired as a pdf to do searches in times like these!
toolbox
According to the Unwired errata, open source software doesn't degrade, so no patching required. Freeware apparently still does, so I'd assume you base the patch costs on a non-freeware version of the program in question; otherwise the patches are free as well and there's no point worrying about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012