Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Infected
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShaunClinton
So it seems that all infected start with essence 5 - is there a way to buy that up dring chargen? It seems a little pointless limiting it to 5 as it can be easily increased as soon as play begins.

Does anyone have any good infected builds out there? I'm looking to put together a Nosferatu mage who can disguise himself as a regular joe.
Ancient History
QUOTE (ShaunClinton @ Aug 13 2009, 08:52 PM) *
So it seems that all infected start with essence 5 - is there a way to buy that up dring chargen?

No.

It seems a little pointless limiting it to 5 as it can be easily increased as soon as play begins.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Totentanz
By RAW, no. Your GM of course might agree with your argument and let you start full. On the other hand, he might smack you upside the head with a dice bag.

Looking human is the least of your worries. That allergy to sunlight is pretty nasty.
Neraph
Here's my Nosferatu build:

Male Nosferatu Mage - Prince Arthas/Lich King Clone:
[ Spoiler ]

This character has been used successfully using the method I detail in the link in my signature. I have obtained a Force 8 Ally Spirit with Inhabitation and have gone from "Prince Arthas" to "The Lich King." We're about to retire the campaign (I'm going to remake my Runeblade - a Frostmourne clone [F6 Weapon/F6 Power Stacked Focus Claymore]), and the next campaign will be entirely devoted to destroying this character and the Ghoul army (and other special Infected Generals) he has been raising in a Z-zone.

Not exactly "blend in," but very effective.

Don't forget to drain 6 Essence twice a day and boost your Magic by 6. Think of them like pills: drain one metahuman twice daily at 8 AM and 8 PM.
Neraph
QUOTE (Totentanz @ Aug 13 2009, 09:08 PM) *
That allergy to sunlight is pretty nasty.

Alleviate Allergy makes that all better.
McAllister
Is there any reason not to make a permanent version of that? Here's what Street Magic has to say about what spells can be made permanent.

Permanent spells must be maintained for a time, then they become permanent. Only spells that restore the target to its original, natural, unaltered state should be permanent in duration. Spells that heal or repair damage, disease, the effects of drugs, poisons, and so on, for example, are all good candidates. If the spell provides some sort of game bonus (other than restorative), the effect should not be permanent. The gamemaster has the final say on whether it is possible to create a permanent version of a spell.

Restoring you to your original state? Check, as long as you weren't allergic to sunlight pre-HMHVV.
Repairs the effect of disease? Check.
Does not provide any sort of game bonus (other than restorative)? Check.

So why not sustain it for a minute or two and have done with it?
Zormal
You'd better talk with your GM about that. Personally, I'd say that the allergy is an innate condition (a part of being who you are), and can't be cured. A Vampire 'reverting to his natural state' would also 'cure' all other abilities and return to being a human. As there is no such cure, it would seem that being Infected is now your natural state. Also, it wouldn't feel balanced if you could permanently get rid of your flaws like that.

So quickening and sustaining foci would be the way to go, unless you make your own arrangements. I've also resurrected the old style of sustaining spells through ritual magic, as a houserule, for just this kind of spells.
siel
Agreed.

I would think that the post HMHVV is the new original state, so the spells can't be made permanent.

Hmm, if your arm is chopped off and you lost the chopped off arm for whatever reason, would lacking an arm be your new state? Would you be able to grow the arm back with a heal spell? 

Zormal
Don't see why not.

HMHVV is a retrovirus that changes pretty much your whole being, so I've always seen the changes happening on a genetic level (might be wrong, but I think that's how it goes). Plus there's the whole thing of it being magical. At least it changes your aura, so I think it's justifiable to see it changing you as a whole.

Losing an arm doesn't change you in the same way. While there are no specific rules for an injury that severe, you don't seem to even lose any essence until you replace the lost limb with something that has a metallic glint.

From a fluff/balance perspective, I wouldn't make it too easy. Medicine can attach a separated limb quite easily, but regrowing it needs a lot of work and money. I say let the mage at least sweat a bit nyahnyah.gif
Starmage21
QUOTE (Zormal @ Aug 14 2009, 04:42 AM) *
Don't see why not.

HMHVV is a retrovirus that changes pretty much your whole being, so I've always seen the changes happening on a genetic level (might be wrong, but I think that's how it goes). Plus there's the whole thing of it being magical. At least it changes your aura, so I think it's justifiable to see it changing you as a whole.

Losing an arm doesn't change you in the same way. While there are no specific rules for an injury that severe, you don't seem to even lose any essence until you replace the lost limb with something that has a metallic glint.

From a fluff/balance perspective, I wouldn't make it too easy. Medicine can attach a separated limb quite easily, but regrowing it needs a lot of work and money. I say let the mage at least sweat a bit nyahnyah.gif

Its a magical virus too. It probobly makes meta-genetic changes as well.
Neraph
Recently I've been thinking about a permanent version of Increased Reflexes...
Dragnar
The "natural state" of a nosferatu is being a nosferatu, even if he was a human before. That was the past, you shouldn't argue on that account.
Otherwise, I insist on a permanent spell that changes people into a single cell, as that was their "natural state" shortly after being conceived. smile.gif
Neraph
Just take Quickening and be done with it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:42 AM) *
Its a magical virus too. It probobly makes meta-genetic changes as well.

Ooooooooooooooooooh yeah.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012