Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How'd the freaking eskimos take Iceland?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I was trying to set up a run that would end in Ice land- geothermal springs and glaciers, what more does a girl need? and broke out my copy of SoE knowing that Iceland IS a Scandinavian nation. surprise surprise, it's not there.

I dig around and find out that it's a part of Transpolar-alute and this gors back to NAN2 in the early 1990's. How did this happen? I mean most of transpolar-Alute is that polar wasteland with almost no one in it today that after the awakening groups of alute said 'this is ours' and most people said 'ok,' because they didn't care. BUT Iceland is not unclaimed territory and it has a substancial white population and i don't htink much of an eskimo population so how'd that get swept up?
TBRMInsanity
IIRC Iceland joined the TPA for two reasons:

1. To maintain fishing grounds that were now under the control of the TPA (which is Icelands #1 export after the 29 Crash)
2. To default on the debt they had as a result of the 29 Crash.

I think that 99% of Iceland is still Scandinavian but their position in the TPA is more for economic reasons.
MJBurrage
Other than saying that Reykjavik (one-time Iceland) is part of Trans-Polar Aleut, all NAN2 has to say (p.90) is:
Sociologists have commented that the Trans-Polar Aleut Nation seems to comprise two distinct countries. The region between the North American continent and the pole seems largely influenced, politically and socially, by the proximity of other North American nations, and belongs to the NAN. The larger part of the nation, on the other hand, feels no kinship with the other Amerindian nations and disregards anything the NAN or the NAN-aligned portion of its own nation thinks or does. The lines on the map and the country's constitution define the entire polar region as a single nation, but only the segment to the north of the continent thinks and acts like a nation. The remainder consists of an assortment of subtribal groups and small settlements with no cohesion and little sense of national identity.
Target Wastelands adds the following:
  • As for Iceland, it's in the middle of an international dispute between the tribal bands on Greenland and the Scandinavian Federation. I would hardly call that "claimed" territory these days. (p.55)
  • Greenland (Thule) and Iceland (Thule Protectorate) Stuck between cultures, Iceland is a strange melting pot of Nordic and Inuit customs, Taken over by the T-PA as a protectorate following the Crash and the collapse of its fishing industry, the island nation has hovered between independence and life as a T-PA state for decades. Despite a struggling economy throughout the 2030s, Iceland is now the richest area in the T-PA. Inuit from Greenland who could afford to move have resettled in the northern areas, escaping the ever-harsher weather. At the same time, hundreds of expatriate native Icelanders have returned, either working on the numerous underwater platforms in the region or making a living as independent fisherman now that the industry has recovered. (p.56, three more paragraphs on political/racial factions and their independence politics not copied)
Other than confirming that Reykjavik/Iceland is still not part of the Scandinavian Union, Shadows of Europe has no further details that I could find.
So most of Iceland is Trans-Polar Aleut in name only, and is probably otherwise unchanged culturally from today.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 14 2009, 08:55 AM) *
IIRC Iceland joined the TPA for two reasons:

1. To maintain fishing grounds that were now under the control of the TPA (which is Icelands #1 export after the 29 Crash)
2. To default on the debt they had as a result of the 29 Crash.

I think that 99% of Iceland is still Scandinavian but their position in the TPA is more for economic reasons.

Heh, forget the crash of '29, they have their crash of '09 to contend with currently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012