Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Map scale
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Warlordtheft
Ok-I've been using my own maps for tactical combat for a while. I was wondering--what scale do you use?

I have been using 1 inch = 2 meters. I have found that this is about right, but in a 3 second turn-the movment gets real slow unless you run.
Method
The scale really depends on the story and what kind of combat I expect (i.e. close quarters vs long range vs vehicle). I tend to use 1/4 inch = 1 meters for interiors (or close quarters) and 1/4 inch = 2 meters (or more) for exteriors. I should note that I use 1/4" because I don't tend to use miniatures - rather I use plastic sheet covers and dry erase markers.

Do you hand draw your maps or are they digital? Care to share? smile.gif
Warlordtheft
I;ve useed the sprawl maps that Fasa put out ages ago for some things. I have also used hand drawn maps.

Currrently I am trying to use Powerpoint as a map making tool. It is not graphically spectacular, but does get the job done (better than hand drawn, and easy to do).
Method
Powerpoint you say? Thats an interesting choice. I've never thought about using that for mapmaking. Is that because you project your maps during games?
SeriousPaul
We use a 2x4 foot laminated piece of paper, with 1 inch grid squares. I snagged eight sizes of Wooden Crafters Spools to use with it, from there adjusting scale is pretty easy. Whether it be 1 square equals 1 meter, five feet, or five hundred it's pretty easy to adjust.

Generally depending on the encounter I have scale planned ahead of time.
Crusher Bob
For those that haven't tried virtual tabletop, there is maptool, which can create a map grid on top of a picture. Then you can place character tokens on them and move around.
Method
Bob: do they provide stock maps as well or do you have to find your own images to make into maps? What kinds of images do you use (commercial floor plans? Google Earth Images? Other?)
Crusher Bob
There's a related image archive on the same web site, but most of those are for 'tokens' (e.g. monsters and characters and stuff. But you can use the built in options to add a map grid to any jpeg. So, for exterior maps, you can just take a shot of google earth, and add a map grid for it. Almost all of the generated maps you'll find are for fantasy settings, I don't have a good line on where to get modern floor plans. There used to be a thread for that, but it was a dumpshock revision ago, so we don't have access to it anymore.

There's also The Cartographer's Guild
Hocus Pocus
Excel I find is pretty nice at making interiors of houses/businesses. It make take some playing around with it, but once you get the hang of it its smooth sailing.
Method
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Aug 18 2009, 09:03 PM) *
There's also The Cartographer's Guild

Woah! Thats a great site. Not a lot of sci-fi stuff but lots of good inspiration. I'm signing up right now and posting some of my stuff...
Cryonic
I have a map of Seattle from a map store that I had laminated, then drew onto it the various changes for Shadowrun (e.g. the location of things like the Renraku Arcology, borders for the various major districts). For game maps, drawing them on the grids of an erasable map mat and use the old Ral Partha minis (the trolls are huge, heheh).

Yes, most of this stuff I started collecting and using back in the days of SR1 & 2...
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 18 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Powerpoint you say? Thats an interesting choice. I've never thought about using that for mapmaking. Is that because you project your maps during games?

I have it, it is more free form than excel, and I've found things like campaign cartographer too clumsy to use.

No, actually I print them up in color. The reaon I like it is that on 8.5X11 sheet I believe I can do most interioirs on the 1"=2 meter scale. This scale works well with the 25mm Ral Partha Figure collection I have. One major advantage is that when making multi-story buildings, I can copy the slides and modify to next floor without worrying about staircase placement, windows, bathroom placement, and I get headstart on general layout.

When I get around to it (rotate.gif ), I'll post some of the maps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012