Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assult Cannon question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cadmus
Ok Question, well more of a comfermation I guess, I've searched through a few conversations here on assult cannons but some tend to ver off subject so going page after page is a pain smile.gif

any how question,

Ok So the Panther Assult cannon, Pretty, loving, ect. In the text it says the Panther Fires special ammo common to the primary weapon in many small tanks, Ok But in arsenal the Vigorous Assault cannon has no such text, So can I use diffrent ammo in the Vigorous? I will admit some of the ideas if i can are silly but There are times when it can be fun smile.gif

So Can you use other ammo types in a Vigorous since it does not state it uses only one type of ammo?

Oh and a second question unrelated but why make a second thread, How long does it take for universal sealent to harden?
Bugfoxmaster
Use assault cannon rounds. If it's isn't explicit somewhere (and I'm sure it must be), like in an errata or something, then I'mpretty sure any GM would make that a priority to explicitly note out.
There's no real good reason to try and skiv off the side of the rules. I dunno RAW in this case, but it seems pretty obvious.
BlueMax
Sadly, there are only two types of ammo.

Assault Cannon
Anti Vehicle Assault Cannon

You are often better off buying the Barrett and putting in APDS. And, it gets to shoot twice.

BlueMax
/not happy about it
//but that is the way it is.
StealthSigma
Here's a legitimate assault cannon question.

Can you silence an assault cannon? If I recall the text for silencers it says it may only be used on single shot and semi-auto weapons that aren't fed by a cylinder. Assault cannon's are single shot or semi-auto and use clips.
Bugfoxmaster
Disturbing point. If an assault cannon is what I think it is, it's not silent int he least, and isn't GOING to be silenced in the least. By anything...
But there's not thing actuall saying so... Maybe somewhere, it says that Assault cannons can't be silenced? I cna't find it...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 18 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Here's a legitimate assault cannon question.

Can you silence an assault cannon? If I recall the text for silencers it says it may only be used on single shot and semi-auto weapons that aren't fed by a cylinder. Assault cannon's are single shot or semi-auto and use clips.

I think it stipulates "smallarms". if not, sure, why not? (Forget reality) but I'd rule the silencer's the size of a gallon milk jug. One of the guys at our table has a silencer for his shotgun, and it's the size of a 2l soda bottle. It's hysterical to watch him pantomime screwing the damned thing on.
the_real_elwood
Yeah you can silence an assault cannon. Take a look at the Anzio Iron Works website. They've got a video of a guy shooting a silenced 20mm rifle. It's magazine-fed, but bolt action. Still though, there's absolutely no reason you can't silence an assault cannon. It just takes a really big silencer.
BlueMax
The one thing I hate about DS.

I don't know if the posts are Real Life or in game sometimes.

Like, why would the dude bring his shotgun to the game?
or
Wouldn't you mean Anzio Arms node?

BlueMax
Bugfoxmaster
Hell, I dunno if a gallon jug woud do it - adjusting for the calibur of the ammunition, and the force it fires with, you'd need.... a REALLY big silencer. like a two-foot long, 7-inch radius one. Or bigger. BIG.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Aug 18 2009, 02:33 PM) *
The one thing I hate about DS.

I don't know if the posts are Real Life or in game sometimes.

Like, why would the dude bring his shotgun to the game?
or
Wouldn't you mean Anzio Arms node?

BlueMax

Well, this would be real life. But, the rules don't say you can't silence an assault cannon. And there's no legitimate reason why you can't (seeing as it's been done in real life), so there you go.

And as far as the ammo goes, assault cannon ammo is assault cannon ammo. Though I don't know what the rules say about sharing ammo even between different weapons in the same class.
InfinityzeN
Actually, by raw you can not. Read in the BBB, at the begining of the heavy weapons section in useable mods and accessories. Suppressors/silencers are not allowed for heavy weapons. Yes this means you can not put a suppressor on a White Knight, even though it is the SR4 equivilent of the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) which has a suppressor made for it by Advanced Armaments. Them'z 'da breakz.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Aug 18 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Yeah you can silence an assault cannon. Take a look at the Anzio Arms website. They've got a video of a guy shooting a silenced 20mm rifle. It's magazine-fed, but bolt action. Still though, there's absolutely no reason you can't silence an assault cannon. It just takes a really big silencer.

"Hey! Where the drek do you think you're going with that oil drum you stupid trog?!"

"Um, sorry offica, I wuz just takin' mah barrel fo' a spin."

"Well get that piece of- hey, what the drek are you... is that an assault cannon?!"

"Yup."

"What was it doing in the drum?"

"Dat's wh'r I keeps it."

"What are you doing with the barrel NOW? That's not actually a-"

*slightly muffled KERBLAM!*

"Yup."
Bugfoxmaster
Ooooh, me likes that one!
I'm so telling my team's Sam to get an assault cannon and oil-drum silencer...
StealthSigma
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Aug 18 2009, 02:45 PM) *
Actually, by raw you can not. Read in the BBB, at the begining of the heavy weapons section in useable mods and accessories. Suppressors/silencers are not allowed for heavy weapons. Yes this means you can not put a suppressor on a White Knight, even though it is the SR4 equivilent of the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) which has a suppressor made for it by Advanced Armaments. Them'z 'da breakz.

BBB? I'll admit I'm not up to speed on many SR acronyms.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 18 2009, 03:10 PM) *
BBB? I'll admit I'm not up to speed on many SR acronyms.

Big Black Book - the main rules. I had to ask that too the first time.
the_real_elwood

What page are you looking on? It says on page 301 that all heavy weapons have a barrel mount slot, and the silencer requires a barrel mount. Other than that, I couldn't find any text under the silencer accessory or assault cannon listing that says it can't be silenced.
Kerrang
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Aug 18 2009, 03:14 PM) *
What page are you looking on? It says on page 301 that all heavy weapons have a barrel mount slot, and the silencer requires a barrel mount. Other than that, I couldn't find any text under the silencer accessory or assault cannon listing that says it can't be silenced.

It is in Arsenal, page 29 - I am actually quite surprised that this did not make it in to SR4A...
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 18 2009, 03:40 PM) *
It is in Arsenal, page 29 - I am actually quite surprised that this did not make it in to SR4A...

Well, we were looking in response to the below quote. Arsenal is a bit different from the location we were pointed to. I'll look at Arsenal when I get home.

Cadmus
Ok so, No silencers on Assult cannons, and I can only pick from two types of ammo? so No Vigorous firing gel rounds? frown.gif so not fair,

Now to figure out what the drying time for universal sealent is, load that into some cap rounds and go to town smile.gif

Kerrang
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Aug 18 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Ok so, No silencers on Assult cannons, and I can only pick from two types of ammo? so No Vigorous firing gel rounds? frown.gif so not fair,

Now to figure out what the drying time for universal sealent is, load that into some cap rounds and go to town smile.gif

The write up in Augmentation says that it hardens on contact with air, so I would say it is near instantaneous, kind of like how superglue hardens instantaneously when it contacts your skin. Of course this calls in to question the first sentence of the write up, where it mentions it is primarily used in space and underwater, where there tends to be an absence of air...
Bugfoxmaster
Perhaps the astronauts and divers (or whomever) take along air-spray cans, and after painting the sealant, they then spray it, thus causing it to harden? Though I'm not entirely sure how that would work, or even IF it would... it sounds like the kind of insane answer that might be given to this sort of question...
InfinityzeN
My bad, it is in Arsenal. I was at work when I posted that, though I did know that it was expressly stated you could not use Silencers and Sound Suppressors with assault cannons and machine guns.
Kerrang
QUOTE (Bugfoxmaster @ Aug 18 2009, 04:02 PM) *
Perhaps the astronauts and divers (or whomever) take along air-spray cans, and after painting the sealant, they then spray it, thus causing it to harden? Though I'm not entirely sure how that would work, or even IF it would... it sounds like the kind of insane answer that might be given to this sort of question...

LOL - I actually knew the answer before I posted, I just wanted to see what people would come up with. It would be used from inside an air filled enclosure within those environments (i.e. Space Shuttle, minisub, etc.) to quickly fix any breaches between the two.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Aug 18 2009, 04:10 PM) *
LOL - I actually knew the answer before I posted, I just wanted to see what people would come up with. It would be used from inside an air filled enclosure within those environments (i.e. Space Shuttle, minisub, etc.) to quickly fix any breaches between the two.

Works AOK on a space vessel, but that's a flat no-go on a sub-surface vessel. The water's pouring in such that you can't get the glop TO the breach in order to seal it.
the_real_elwood
Well that's a major bummer on silencers with assault cannons. Theoretically, you could silence the firing of a large naval gun, if you built a silencer big enough to handle the volume of combustion gases produced. Now, there's nothing you can do about silencing the explosion of the shell, but hey, that's not the question is it. If I were running a game and a player asked for it, I'd let them buy silencers for any weapon that's not rocket-assisted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012