Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Empower Animal Metamagic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pbangarth
In Street Magic, page 60, the Empower Animal Metamagic Technique description tells us that to transfer the adept power to the animal, the adept and animal must be within the Sense Link (p. 54) range. My reading of the power suggests that once the power has been transferred, the animal may leave the Sense Link range and maintain the transferred power. Do others see it this way?

So for example, the adept could transfer Improved Senses to his dog Lassie, and then send Lassie to "Find Billie." (We all know Billie is probably down the well again, but just for example's sake.)

There are, of course, far more sinister (and outlandish) uses for this Metamagic. For example, transferring Improved Reflexes 3 to your attuned, warform grizzly, and sending it to "Kill Billie." (Just as Lassie, it would probably look in the well first.)
Rasumichin
Sustaining magical effects in general seems to be possible far over the original range of the effects.
Spirits, for example, can sustain Physical powers on the astral plane.

So i don't see why this should be handled differently.
Bugfoxmaster
I agree with the above interpretation. If the text does not strictly prohibit it, the most logical explanation is to treat the metamagic like similar abilities, and allow it to be sustained over long distances.
Andinel
It has been said before (but I forget by whom) that you need not be in the original effect range to sustain it. For instance, you could lose LOS to someone and still sustain an LOS spell on them.
Bugfoxmaster
Feels like this is fairly unanimous. Go forth and enpower animals without needing to have them nearby afterwards!!!
pbangarth
Yeah, looks like it. Thanks folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012