Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just got SR4A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TBRMInsanity
So I took advantage of the promotion offer Catalyst Game Labs had to buy a copy of SR4A or DotA and send in pictures. I've had a chance to go through the book now and I have to say I'm really impressed. This is one of the best layouts I've seen in a core rule book. I like the fact that examples are a different colour so they stick out, and I love the combined index at the back of the book (I hope Catalyst includes something like this in all future books). The artwork is by far some of the best I've ever seen in any SR product to date. Kudos Catalyst Game Labs, keep up the good work.
Bugfoxmaster
Yeah, the 4A book is very well done. I especially liked the color pictures and the fact that the errata was already inside (although that second part's sort of part of the point...)
Shinxy
Totally. The production values on this edition are through the roof. Definitely at least the best looking main game book I've seen for a tabletop RPG so far. Plus, the cloth bookmark! Choice.
otakusensei
I had preordered my copy online, but when I heard about the contest I had to pick up another one. Not that I mind, it's a fantastic book and I love helping out my local shop.

My one beef doesn't have anything to do with the look and feel of the book. I hate the change to attribute costs. With 9-10 attributes to purchase and a GM that rolls edge on everything it makes striking a balance very difficult.
Malachi
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 19 2009, 08:25 AM) *
So I took advantage of the promotion offer Catalyst Game Labs had to buy a copy of SR4A or DotA and send in pictures. I've had a chance to go through the book now and I have to say I'm really impressed. This is one of the best layouts I've seen in a core rule book. I like the fact that examples are a different colour so they stick out, and I love the combined index at the back of the book (I hope Catalyst includes something like this in all future books). The artwork is by far some of the best I've ever seen in any SR product to date. Kudos Catalyst Game Labs, keep up the good work.

I'm slightly upset that you got your copy before me. *sigh* Such is the plight of the pre-ordered.
Shinxy
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Aug 19 2009, 12:25 PM) *
I hate the change to attribute costs. With 9-10 attributes to purchase and a GM that rolls edge on everything it makes striking a balance very difficult.

As far as I know 10 BP per level of improvement has been in effect since SR4 was first released. Is something different now?
toolbox
QUOTE (Shinxy @ Aug 19 2009, 09:00 AM) *
As far as I know 10 BP per level of improvement has been in effect since SR4 was first released. Is something different now?

I think he means the Karma cost, which has been increased from new rating x3 to new rating x5.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (toolbox @ Aug 19 2009, 12:03 PM) *
I think he means the Karma cost, which has been increased from new rating x3 to new rating x5.

WHich you have to admit, at 3X karma raising an attribute was more karma efficient than raising a skill. So much so that it didn't make a whole lot of sense to raise skills, the 5 X is agood compromise IMHO.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Malachi @ Aug 19 2009, 10:36 AM) *
I'm slightly upset that you got your copy before me. *sigh* Such is the plight of the pre-ordered.

You still have the ethereal copy that I don't have though so you've technically had access to the material WAY before I ever did. Still Teh He!!!
Kerenshara
I'll post my own evaluation of the book whenever it arrives.
Redjack
Ascetics: A wonderful job on the new book. I like the look and the artwork. I am looking forward to the short stories that have been added (I hate reading a PDF, rather than referencing it - Call me old fashioned)

Rules:
- I am very happy the magic drain staging rules were made optional.
- I can live with the object threshold changes. 5+ is better than the 6+, though I would like even more clarification.
- I really like the changes to extended tests (-1dp per iteration). They are very usable now.
- I like that everything has capacity ratings.
- Master Index!!! Let me say that again MASTER INDEX! I love that.

BookWyrm
I'm still kinda on the fence bout picking up SR4a. True, new fiction and a master-list of all the refernces would help, but I'm still weary of buying a book I already have. Don't get me wrong, I love SR, been reading ALL the books since back in '89.
Prime Mover
We'll my first SR4 book has taken some binding damage from rough transit so getting the Anniversary version was a no brainier for me. Index will be a huge help. Liking the new art and cleaned up sections. Not a necessity but definitely a nice buy.

I'm extra bubbling about it today due to the fact I finally got my e-mail notification my SR4A is in the mail.

Edit: Now just need to set aside some cash for the rest of the SR books I'm chomping at the bit for.
ravensmuse
One quick question for Tiger Eyes: did the newbie group in "Fresh Meat" make it through the month alright? smile.gif

I can't believe the characters I'll get attached to..
BookWyrm
OK, I had a quick look at the SR4a book at Compleat Strategist today, and here are my impressions;

1) Colorful; Not nesessarilly a bad thing, but the color pages....hell, the colors of ALL the pages caught my eyes right off the bat.

2) New Look: The template pages appear to be upgraded in presentation, making them look like as if you're skimming through a digital dossier (The track "The Bait" from Mission Impossible II started playing through my head when I looked at the pages for some reason--yes I know I'm weird. nyahnyah.gif ).

3) Layout. From what I've seen, everything is at the reader's fingertips.

If I get a better look at SR4a, I'll post more. I'm leaning toward picking up this book, but it may be a while before I can.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 20 2009, 08:08 PM) *
One quick question for Tiger Eyes: did the newbie group in "Fresh Meat" make it through the month alright? smile.gif

I can't believe the characters I'll get attached to..

Mmm... they do have DangerSensei to watch out for them for a month. It's the day after the month is up I'd worry about, if I were you...
Krypter
I just want to congratulate the art directors, designers and artists for the fantastic job they did bringing Shadowrun to life in the 20th Anniversary Edition. I've been around since the 1st Edition, and this is by far the best-looking, slickest, coolest version of the game I've ever seen. Excellent work. It made me jump back into the game.

Now I think it's time the rest of the books got a similar upgrade...
Ancient History
Frickin' teddy bears <grumble>
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 28 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Frickin' teddy bears <grumble>

Poor Bobby. Best story in the thing and you got dancing cuddly bears. biggrin.gif
DarkKindness
Side note: one thing that I did notice missed the transition from SR4 to SR4A, and isn't printed in any of the other core books - cracking copyright protection/copy protection on programs. There were rules for it in SR4 that aren't there in SR4A, and aren't in Unwired (though Unwired references the core book for those rules...).

Probably just an oversight, but worth pointing out.
Redjack
Cracking copy protection is BBB.228
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 28 2009, 08:40 PM) *
Cracking copy protection is BBB.228

Yes, for the SR4 version of the BBB. Not the SR4A version of the BBB, which is the point DarkKindness is trying to make.

Seeing as the SR4A version is what's going to be sold from here on out, and Unwired's expansion of those rules refers the player back to the core rulebook for the basics, the fact that the new core rulebook doesn't have those basics is a bit of an oversight, yes.
kanislatrans
the master index is only showing unwired pg 114...so I'm guessing that it got cut ...
Krypter
Oops. Is this a big chunk o' text or a few sentences?
Prime Mover
Two paragraphs.
Boils down to one quick rule.
Extended Software + Logic test with threshold of 10-20 (gamemasters call) interval of 1 hour.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Krypter @ Aug 29 2009, 08:16 AM) *
Oops. Is this a big chunk o' text or a few sentences?

Two paragraphs at the bottom of the page...

BBB pg 228 "Source code and piracy"
Most legally-purchased programs are sold with built in copy protection, so that the program cannot be duplicated without an access code. Hackers have invented many ways of circumventing these methods,however, to the point where piracy is the rule rather than the exception.

If a character wishes to duplicate a program that is copyprotected,he needs to break the protection.This requires and extended Software+Logic Test with a threshhold between 10 and 20(gamemasters discretion) and an interval of 1 hour

edit:sniped me,prime! smile.gif
Prime Mover
Pg.94 Unwired is a nice chart for piracy thresholds. Just need to know what stat/program to roll software+logic and your all good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012