Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nerve Strike Adept Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pbangarth
In Street Magic, page 178, the Nerve Strike Adept Power is said to be "most effective against metahuman opponents", and work at half efficiency against critters. Presumably this is because critters are arranged differently and have nerves in different places.

But the VetTech Skill, (Running Wild page 35) gives the character intimate knowledge of the anatomy of all kinds of critters. Surely someone with this skill should know where to strike, no?

I suppose it might be difficult to strike a major nerve if it is out of reach in a very large critter, but otherwise I don't see why it would not work.

Comments?
TBRMInsanity
As a GM I would allow you to do that. I would also rule that highly cybered individuals (especially ones with a cyber skull and torso) would also incur the 1/2 efficiency penalty (due to a lack of nerve points). I suppose I would even house rule that the percentage of essence loss would be the reduction in the efficiency of the Nerve strike (ie Current Essence / 6).
WyldKnight
Maybe act like a team work test? Roll vet tech and every hit is an extra die for your nerve strike?
pbangarth
Yeah, like the 'auxiliary skill' of earlier editions. That could work.
WyldKnight
My group does the same thing when someone with cybertechnology is doing medical work on someone with implants.
McCummhail
Alternately, you could work it like with Forgery tests
where the number of successes on the VetTech test
limits the max possible successes on nerve strike.
pbangarth
That sounds good too. What a creative bunch we are!
Mongoose
I'd just do the v-tech test (to see if you know / rembmer / can sport the anatomy) and if its good, you get nerve strike at full effect rather than half.
Pendaric
Depending on the circumstances and skill levels I might not even ask for the test. You paid the points for the skill go crazy. When I throw a spirit or awakened jelly fish at the runner, good look with that.
Or on one fond memory, a Juggernaught.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Aug 21 2009, 08:05 PM) *
Depending on the circumstances and skill levels I might not even ask for the test. You paid the points for the skill go crazy. When I throw a spirit or awakened jelly fish at the runner, good look with that.
Or on one fond memory, a Juggernaught.

thanks alot ,guys, now I have the irresistible urge to see if I can create Steve Irwin, troll naturalist and Juggernaut wrestler... grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Aug 21 2009, 09:06 PM) *
thanks alot ,guys, now I have the irresistible urge to see if I can create Steve Irwin, troll naturalist and Juggernaut wrestler... grinbig.gif grinbig.gif

There was a Virtual Seattle scenario years ago in which the team is hired to keep Steve Irwin III alive while he checks out paranormal animals of North America.

in true Pink Mohawk style, my physical adept dwarf ran up the tail and back of a juggernaut to attempt a killing blow to the neck with his dikoted katana.

Notice the word 'attempt'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012