Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracking and Copy Protection in SR4A?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DarkKindness
I'm trying to plot out a rigger character for myself, and was looking at the copy protection info for Autosofts. I can find the basic descriptions in Unwired, but there don't seem to be any rules regarding copy protection, copying a program, or cracking copy protection in SR4A to flesh out the reference that Unwired gives.

It'd be great if anyone could either give me the relevant reference in SR4A or paraphrase the rules from SR4 (since I can't find where they've been reprinted).

Another basic rules clarification question that's somewhat related - if you have an Autosoft and install and run it on a drone, is it possible to remove that Autosoft from the drone that you've used it on in order to use it with a different one? Or are Autosofts a one-install only sort of deal? Any insight is much appreciated!
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DarkKindness @ Aug 19 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I can find the basic descriptions in Unwired, but there don't seem to be any rules regarding copy protection, copying a program, or cracking copy protection in SR4A to flesh out the reference that Unwired gives.
The only thing that's missing from p. 94 of Unwired with regards to cracking copy protection, is the fact that it's an extended Software + Logic Test. Personally I think an extended Hacking + Logic test makes more sense, but that's how it was presented in the original SR4. (Also, the thresholds weren't broken down per program type in SR4, just a suggested range of 10-20).

Another basic rules clarification question that's somewhat related - if you have an Autosoft and install and run it on a drone, is it possible to remove that Autosoft from the drone that you've used it on in order to use it with a different one? Or are Autosofts a one-install only sort of deal?
Pilot programs are specifically written per drone model, and while Autosofts are merely helper programs to the pilot program, I can't find a reference to them either having or lacking that same limitation.
DarkKindness
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 19 2009, 08:13 PM) *
Pilot programs are specifically written per drone model, and while Autosofts are merely helper programs to the pilot program, I can't find a reference to them either having or lacking that same limitation.

I should clarify this part of my question - if, say, I had two Dobermans and equipped one with a Maneuver 4 Autosoft, would I later be able to remove that Autosoft from the first Doberman and give it to the second, or would installing the 'soft on the first Doberman be a permanent thing, meaning that I'd have to buy a new one for any further drones that I decided I needed to have the 'soft on? This is really more of a fuzzy understanding of how programs and nodes work on my part, so any clarification would be great.
Jaid
there is nothing to indicate that autosofts would fuse into the drone. there is furthermore no indication that *any* kind of software does that. as such, the default is that it can be shifted around as needed. you can even do the same thing with the pilot program, though of course if you want to move a pilot 6 program and have it at full strength you need a drone with good enough response (barring program options, etc).

but yeah, you can crack them, copy them (provided they're cracked), uninstall and install elsewhere, etc. it's just lines of code.
DarkKindness
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 19 2009, 08:39 PM) *
there is nothing to indicate that autosofts would fuse into the drone. there is furthermore no indication that *any* kind of software does that. as such, the default is that it can be shifted around as needed. you can even do the same thing with the pilot program, though of course if you want to move a pilot 6 program and have it at full strength you need a drone with good enough response (barring program options, etc).

but yeah, you can crack them, copy them (provided they're cracked), uninstall and install elsewhere, etc. it's just lines of code.

That's about what I figured, and thanks for confirming that for me.

Last question, I swear - can a character typically start with cracked programs (i.e. purchase them during creation), or are all programs that a character starts with assumed to be of the legal variety?
Da9iel
You pay full price for all programs at character creation. If you have any software skill or contacts, most GMs will let you say it's cracked. (I believe this is the book ruling.) Calling them cracked makes tracking harder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012