Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two New Foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheOOB
Here are a couple of foci I developed that should make any conjurer's life a little easier.

Watcher Focus
Cost: 1,500 Nuyen Binding: 2 Karma

Summoning a watcher spirit is one of the most tasks any conjurer can perform, they are easy to summon and very useful. However, summoning one for an extending period of time can be quite difficult, not to mention taxing. A watcher focus gets around this. When you activate a watcher focus and summon a watcher spirit, the spirit will continue to exist and serve you in the astral plane as long as the focus remains active. If the focus is deactivated for any reason, however, the watcher is immediately banished, regardless of how much time it may or may have had left. Only one watcher may be sustained by this focus as any given time. The magician can end this effect at any time as a free action, after which the watcher is banished.

Twilight Focus
Cost: Forcex2,000 Nuyen Binding: Forcex2 Karma

A logical extension of the watcher focus above, the twlight focus allows a magician to partially circumvent the restrictions placed on summoned spirits without having to resort to expensive(and draining) binding rituals. A magician can choose to sustain a spirit she has summoned(but not bound) into the focus. The spirits force must not be greater than the force of the focus, and only one spirit may be sustained by a single twilight focus at a time. As long as the spirit continues to be sustained by the focus, the spirit remains conjured into the astral realm, and will not depart to the metaplanes until they run out of services. When sunrise or sunset passes, the spirit does not depart as per normal, but the services owed by the spirit is reduced by one. The magician can end this sustaining effect at any time as a free action. If the sustaining effect is ended for any reason, or the spirit runs out of services, the spirit immediately departs to the metaplanes. You may still only have one unbound spirit summoned at a time, so having multiple twilight foci is rather rendundant.
McAllister
Interesting ideas, but I'd never get them. OTOH, if those sorts of things would be useful in your game, go for it.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Aug 19 2009, 11:01 PM) *
Twilight Focus

But I don't want my spirits to sparkle!

[Grin, Duck, Run]
Maelstrome
im not one for using spirits but if i was that twilight focus would be in my gear list.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Aug 20 2009, 12:38 AM) *
im not one for using spirits but if i was that twilight focus would be in my gear list.

I usually focus on conjuration over sorcerery, and I always hated it when we wanted to do a run around twilight hours and I I had to resummon my spirit(hence the name of the focus). The watcher spirit is more of a quality of life thing, for the store owner who wants a spirit advertising in his store front all day and what not.

Anyways, what do people think about balance. Are they too expensive, too cheap, just right?
LurkerOutThere
Yes it really does stink when powers and abilities have limitations, we should strive to circumvent them at every opportunity.
McCummhail
I like the idea, but I think lessening or circumventing magical rules is more in the realm of metamagics.
If these foci augmented a metamagic that extended summoning I would dig on that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012