Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blade Runner Synths possible in SR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
With all of the genetic manipulation going on in SR, how much farther does the tech need to go before a synthetic humanoid is developed? Would it be cheaper than drones for hard and hazardous work? With AI’s, Free Spirits and numerous sapient but non-human entities running around, would the emergent synth be classified as property or not?
rathmun
Hmm, clonal body, stirrup rig, shove an AI into it.

Yep, they're possible.
Adarael
No one would ever thing of doing that! Especially not an evil gm who intends to run a game where everyone has escaped a black lab right before their bodies were scheduled to be "recycled"...
TBRMInsanity
Augmentation alludes to something like this in the Biodrone section. A genetically altered clone can be created and a control rig can be implanted to make the clone a walking zombie (under the control of a rigger). The problem is that these replicates would be very expensive and only the Big 10 would have the resources and technology to create them. It would be easier to create an anthroform and trap an AI in it.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 20 2009, 07:06 PM) *
Augmentation alludes to something like this in the Biodrone section. A genetically altered clone can be created and a control rig can be implanted to make the clone a walking zombie (under the control of a rigger). The problem is that these replicates would be very expensive and only the Big 10 would have the resources and technology to create them. It would be easier to create an anthroform and trap an AI in it.

I think that there'd be some smaller, more specialized corps who could pull this off, too.

I mean, there's AA corps like UniOmni (or Monobe) who have the knowhow to create cyberzombies (or cyborgs, respectively).
I could imagine that there's also AA corps specialized in cybernetics and gengineering who have access to biodrones.
Proteus is a potential candidate for the application mentioned here, given how good they are at cloning augmented humans.
According to Augmentation, they've just graduated an entire class of genetweaked, fully vat-grown employees- i could imagine that they've modified some of the mentally less promising, but physically outstanding subjects for rigging if they have reverse-engineered biodrone technology.

The Big10 aren't generally the corps with the most advanced research teams, they're the ones who have the most diversified portfolio and the biggest influence on the market.
There's smaller, specialized corps who have very innovative R&D programs, but they're limited to a specific field.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 22 2009, 04:30 AM) *
I think that there'd be some smaller, more specialized corps who could pull this off, too.

I mean, there's AA corps like UniOmni (or Monobe) who have the knowhow to create cyberzombies (or cyborgs, respectively).
I could imagine that there's also AA corps specialized in cybernetics and gengineering who have access to biodrones.
Proteus is a potential candidate for the application mentioned here, given how good they are at cloning augmented humans.
According to Augmentation, they've just graduated an entire class of genetweaked, fully vat-grown employees- i could imagine that they've modified some of the mentally less promising, but physically outstanding subjects for rigging if they have reverse-engineered biodrone technology.

The Big10 aren't generally the corps with the most advanced research teams, they're the ones who have the most diversified portfolio and the biggest influence on the market.
There's smaller, specialized corps who have very innovative R&D programs, but they're limited to a specific field.

You are right but I was pointing out that only a very small group of companies would have the ability to create human biodrones.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 22 2009, 01:16 PM) *
You are right but I was pointing out that only a very small group of companies would have the ability to create human biodrones.

Certainly.
And my money would be on Proteus in this case.

Which actually seems to be a correct guess...
From the Metahuman Biodrones? thread :

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Aug 21 2009, 01:07 AM) *
Theres at least one mention of "jumping jacks" rigged clones the Proteus board used for face to face meetings IRC.

Ravor
Although possible I have to question the purpose of using them other than "social situations".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012