Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix, got spotted. Then what ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PatB
OK. I've been searching for awhile, looked through several threads (including introduction to the matrix which was VERY useful). The system got lucky and saw through my Stealth program while I just finished exploiting the Firewall and get myself an Admin access ID. Good, but the node is on alert (+4 on Firewall) and sends an IC at me.

1- Does the IC need to do a Matrix Perception to know where I am or the Firewall gave my location away ??

Now that I've been spotted by the Firewall and the IC, I'd rather use that Admin access than going through Matrix Combat.

2- I want to shut off the alert status. Can I do it (since I have an admin access) or do I need to Spoof it ??

3- Assuming I can shut off the alert and that it works, what happens to the IC ?? Do I need to defeat it ?? Can I tell the Firewall to stop nagging me since I'm an admin or I need to go through a Spoof ??
Shinxy
QUOTE (PatB @ Aug 21 2009, 02:44 PM) *
OK. I've been searching for awhile, looked through several threads (including introduction to the matrix which was VERY useful). The system got lucky and saw through my Stealth program while I just finished exploiting the Firewall and get myself an Admin access ID. Good, but the node is on alert (+4 on Firewall) and sends an IC at me.

1- Does the IC need to do a Matrix Perception to know where I am or the Firewall gave my location away ??

Now that I've been spotted by the Firewall and the IC, I'd rather use that Admin access than going through Matrix Combat.

2- I want to shut off the alert status. Can I do it (since I have an admin access) or do I need to Spoof it ??

3- Assuming I can shut off the alert and that it works, what happens to the IC ?? Do I need to defeat it ?? Can I tell the Firewall to stop nagging me since I'm an admin or I need to go through a Spoof ??

1. I think the ruling i've seen on other threads here is that, as long as the IC is the one sent from the "launch IC" script as part of the alert, it automatically sees you. Any futher IC or Spiders that join the fight have to use matrix perception as normal.

2. Since your account is the one that triggered the alert, I don't think shutting down the alert would be possible. That would be my fluff ruling. I think you'd have to spoof it.

3. The IC could analyze you as long as it's aware of you, and since you're using an exploit rather than a real account, that would show up and it would call the alert again. And a spider would probably come by to check on things if there's a lot of alerts suddenly going on and off. And then that spider might call a general alert (rather than the one that gives the system +4 firewall against you specifically) and scramble more IC.

I think your steps here would have to be:
1. Crash the IC that is aware of you.
2. Find an alternate admin access ID.
3. Spoof it to cancel the alert
4. Do your business and log off before a spider comes to check out the suspicious behavior.
Cheops
1) not sure about the actual rule on this. Depends on how you run the matrix -- visual like the movies/books or more text based. I tend to the latter and in that case the Firewall gives the IC your AID and can just make attacks against that AID. You'd be able to take a Spoof AID action (or whatever it is called) to hide but you'd lose your Admin access. If you use the movie/books style then the IC should probably have to perceive you.

2) pretty sure that Unwired has rules for this. Think it is an opposed Hacking+Edit vs. System + Firewall (+4 in this case). Admin can probably do it automatically depending on your GM granted rights but the spiders would know something was up and come looking.

3) IC would likely unload (since it is one of those alert only loads) and the firewall would lose the +4 (stop nagging you). Again however security knows an alert was triggered and SOP for any company includes following up on all alerts to see their cause. Comes down to GM decision at that point.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (PatB @ Aug 21 2009, 08:44 PM) *

1) If the Firewall detects you, raises an alert and launches IC then only that launched IC automatically detects you. I cannot seem to find the page that this is stated, but its somewhere in Unwired if I remember right. Any other user still has to roll a Matrix Perception against you, however they get a modifier to help them (I think its +4 dice?)

2) When the alert goes up your Access Account is frozen. Any actions after this must be done using the Hacking skill. You could also probably spoof it, however any Spiders that come and have a look would no doubt be suspicious. Have a look at the System Security chapter in Unwired for more of this kind of thing.

3) Because the alert has officially been turned off, and IC follow Agent Scripts I would say that the IC also automatically stops its current attacks. But that might be more of a GM decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012