Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eclipse Phase is now available
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Adam
Hi guys,

I'm blatantly posting off topic, so I'm going to lock it immediately and sticky it for only a few days. Please carry discussion over to this thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=22019

As many of you know, we released a limited number of copies of Eclipse Phase, our new Transhuman Conspiracy and Horror RPG, at Gen Con. This has been a project that Rob Boyle and Brian Cross have poured themselves into for years, and the early feedback has been very good. Now, it's available in PDF and the print pre-order is set to go. More info is here: http://www.eclipsephase.com/ep-pre-orders-pdf-and-bundle

The Eclipse Phase core book PDF is now available! You may also pre-order the hardcopy book or get a bundle hardcopy + PDF deal from Catalyst through their BattleShop.

Note that we're making the PDF available for the low price of only $15 ($10 if you take the bundle deal with the hardcopy). This is substantially lower than standard industry PDF pricing for an equivalent book. If anyone's wondering, this is part of the reason we took a bit longer to get the PDF out, as Posthuman Studios and Catalyst Game Labs negotiated on a PDF price point that would get this game in as many hands as possible while still meeting Catalyst's business needs. As Cory Doctorow has noted, the biggest danger to new authors (or in this case, a new game) is obscurity. This is part of the reason we pursued the Creative Commons license, allowing our fans to share the game with their friends. The RPG publishing industry is a business with low profit margins, however, and PDF sales are often viewed as supplemental and necessary income that can mean the difference in a company's well-being or even survival. We're taking a risk here, and we're hoping the gaming community will reciprocate and show us some love back. So if you receive this PDF from a friend who shared it in accordance with the Creative Commons license, and you like it, please support the cause by buying the PDF and/or bundle. To some degree, this is an experiment, and we hope to make it work. If it does, it may very well affect how Catalyst and other game companies go about biz in the future. So to be blunt, we need your support!

We're all very proud of Eclipse Phase and think it's an awesome game and setting. In a year where we're celebrating the longevity of Shadowrun and BattleTech, we think it's only appropriate that we launch an all-new science-fiction game -- for the future.

If you want to take a sneak peek at the book that doesn't come from our fingertips, I encourage you to check this "Let's Read Eclipse Phase" thread on RPG.net, which includes photos of the actual book and a customer's impressions as he reads it start to finish: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=468788
Adam
Thanks for indulging me, folks. Eclipse Phase is off to a great start, and if you haven't checked it out yet, please do so! smile.gif
ShimmerGeek
w00t! I has it now smile.gif

(And after getting it I realised that Eclipse Phase = that interesting looking RPG Cory Doctorow mentioned on Boing Boing which I meant to look into somemore, and promptly lost. DoubleWin!)
Prime Mover
Tryed so hard to stop looking at EP not wanting anymore games piling up around the house. Slowly working my way through the PDF and looking forward to getting a hardcopy. My group is gonna slap me when I tell em I want to add another game to our lineup.
Kerrang
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Sep 4 2009, 07:39 AM) *
Tryed so hard to stop looking at EP not wanting anymore games piling up around the house. Slowly working my way through the PDF and looking forward to getting a hardcopy. My group is gonna slap me when I tell em I want to add another game to our lineup.

I was thinking of grabbing the PDF myself, but would experience similar problems. When would I have time to run it? So many game systems, so little time!
Ravor
How does the dicerolling mech actually work?
Malachi
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 4 2009, 10:27 AM) *

The system is very similar to SR4 in many ways (which is not surprising since its Rob Boyle) except it's a d100 percentile system. Your skill is a Percentage number, situational modifiers affect your skill up or down, then you roll and see if you can get under your skill value (so higher skill is better). A roll of 00 is counted as 0 not 100. Doubles on the dice mean "critical" either success or failure, depending on if you succeeded on the test when your rolled doubles or not. If you've played the Paladium system (Fantasy, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies or something) it will feel very similar to the skills rolls in that system.

The situational modifiers feel very familiar: range, visibility, wounds, cover, target moving, etc. There are "initiative passes" in it, but they're just called Speed. You have an "Edge" called "Moxie" but it has more limited uses than in SR.

The system requires some extra record-keeping stuff since you can actually change your body ("morph"), so you need to keep track of your "base" skill tied to your mind ("ego") and the bonus that your current body gives you. Also, you have the ability to "backup" your ego that you can restore to if you die, so whenever you make one of those backups you need to keep track of what your "ego" was like at that point. I'm very interested to at least give the whole system a test drive sometime. The creativity in the fluff is right up and off the charts and the art is awesome (like SR4A level or better), and the layout is absolutely gorgeous (good job Adam).
Bull
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 4 2009, 11:27 AM) *

YOu can play as bacon. BACON! There's an entire space station made of Bacon!

Seriously, who cares about the Dice Rolling mechanic?

I think I need to play a game of this at Gen Con next year. And much alcohol needs to be consumed. smile.gif

Bull
Ravor
Why I DO of course. silly.gif

*EDIT*

Thanks Malachi.
X-Kalibur
The die rolling system reminds me a lot of Dark Heresy (WH40K in my TTRPG? Blasphemy!). The setting looks interesting, the rules nice and crunchy, and the artwork and layout are gorgeous, I can't wait to have a physical copy to read over.
Kerrang
I have played a few percentile based systems, including Palladium. It is a very intuitive mechanic, and probably a good choice if there is alot of extra record keeping to be done. I admit, I am intrigued by the setting, and I still have that $10 coupon from Catalyst to use...
Malachi
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Sep 4 2009, 10:58 AM) *
I have played a few percentile based systems, including Palladium. It is a very intuitive mechanic, and probably a good choice if there is alot of extra record keeping to be done. I admit, I am intrigued by the setting, and I still have that $10 coupon from Catalyst to use...

That'll make the PDF $5, which puts it in the realm of "no brainer" IMO. Pick it up!

The setting is really compelling, especially if you have a bunch of space/science geek types in your group. They'll really dig the "space colony" type stuff going on.
GreyBrother
Tried to buy the PDF on Thursday. Paid but got an error message with the order to contact the quartermaster. Which i did.
Waiting until today for an answer frown.gif
Krypter
Game looks great, and much kudos to the artsy folks for some cool layout and art.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012