Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: old dumpshock archives
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maelstrome
who here remembers the dumpshock archives from a few years back?

my guess is most of you.

there was tons of source material and supplemental rules. it was pretty easy to navigate. plenty of ideas for cyber,bio,nano,gene,magic,weapons,vehicles.

what happened to it all?

does anyone have bits and pieces left over?

all ive got left to remember it by are the various issues of tss and a bioware document.

i miss the old ds when people where always coming up with new stuff instead of bitching and arguing about what is broken.

it used to be someone had a problem and people gave solutions. in a way thats still there. just not as much.

and for the record ive been lurking these boards years before i made an account.

come everybody. discuss, reminisce, contribute. try to keep it civil.
Bull
That was Paolo's baby. It was actually the Shadowrun Archives, as it predated Dumpshock (and Deep Resonance).

I know Paolo's kinda drifted away and been busy, but I should pester him and see what he's up to. smile.gif

And Maelstrome, I do agree with you toa alrge degree. That's one of the reasons we're trying to step up DS a bit. THe DS Data Haven magazine is a big part of that, but only the first step. I'm gonna be getting my website back online at some point, when I get the time (I just keep taking on projects though! smile.gif), and we've been ulling over some other ideas for getting the hosted sites cleaned up and maybe introduce some new stuff down the line.

It's a slow process, cause there's a lot to do, but you are right. Once upon a time, the fan community for Shadowrun was very energetic, very creative, and very supportive of each other and the game, and over the years it's fragmented a lot. I'm hoping we can maybe rebuild some of that here.

Bull
McAllister
We can keep it civil, I imagine, but I for one have no recollection of such a place. Sounds pretty cool.
Maelstrome
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 27 2009, 09:10 PM) *
We can keep it civil, I imagine, but I for one have no recollection of such a place. Sounds pretty cool.

it was pretty epic. reading it for a few minutes would infuse you with the spirit of shadowrun and next thing you know you are crunching stats,preparing fluff,and calling your players for a game. silly.gif

i read stuff on it every day during early highschool.
Bull
The Archive used to be THE main repository for Shadowrun stuff if you didn't have your own web page. The first few things I ever created went up there, till I got my old Geocities account running.
Snow_Fox
Now if you can find it, it proves you have the mojo to get in, but someone with that skill set doesn't need the info.
kind of like knowing what in SoLA. cyber.gif
Maelstrome
apparently i still have the guns of anime pdf from the old archive. anybody want a look?
Tyro
I'd love that. Tyro (DOT) Kathar (AT) the google mail service thingy biggrin.gif
Heath Robinson
Why not throw it up on mediafire or some other filehosting service? I'm interested in what they came up with.
Navarre
You know what I miss from the old Archive era, was Blackjack's page. I know it was basically a separate page hosted on Dumpshock, but the articles used to list off of the Archive, so they're connected in my mind.

Man there was some good stuff on there. His advice column was gold!

Sorry. Didn't mean to threadjack, just my own little reminiscence.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Aug 28 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Why not throw it up on mediafire or some other filehosting service? I'm interested in what they came up with.

The archive was quite a complex piece of software at the time, including PHP, Java, JavaScript, mySQL, Access and all sorts of custom code.

There is no way to put it into a static file and host it somewhere...

That said, I found some backups (up to April 2002) and I'll work something with Bull to make them available somehow.

Hi from the Shadows smile.gif

-ThatPaolo
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Aug 28 2009, 08:40 PM) *
The archive was quite a complex piece of software at the time, including PHP, Java, JavaScript, mySQL, Access and all sorts of custom code.

There is no way to put it into a static file and host it somewhere...

That said, I found some backups (up to April 2002) and I'll work something with Bull to make them available somehow.

Hi from the Shadows smile.gif

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was referring to the post 2 above mine.
McCummhail
A lot of BlackJack's stuff and the Shadowrun Supplemental are still accessible.
The material is generally for older editions, but that is not a problem for many things anyways.

There are some topics on here that are full of cool new stuff.
Positive energy and effort goes a long way!
Viva la Revolution!

ç?¾çŠ¶ã?¨å?ˆæ„?ã?§ã??ã?ªã?„ã?¨ã€?
ç?¾çŠ¶ã‚’変ã?ˆã‚‹ã?¹ã??。
�状を変�����
自身を変���
Maelstrome
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zowmomtulmn

im assuming i did that right. never used mediafire before. here is weapons of anime.

and as a little bonus. a bioware document from sr2/3

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xmoqxtqvzjt
ThatPaolo
If anyone is interested, I'm working on trying to get the archive back online somewhere smile.gif
McCummhail
QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Aug 28 2009, 09:33 PM) *
If anyone is interested, I'm working on trying to get the archive back online somewhere smile.gif
Can't beat the real thing!
Krypter
QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Aug 29 2009, 02:33 AM) *

I remember your archive. An excellent resource for my cyberpunk games at the time. It'd be nice to see it back, perhaps in full Web 2.0 glory?

It's rather surprising that Shadowrun seems to be a very popular game with a small online presence. Dumpshock is really it as far as forums are concerned, and it's not as active as I recall it being during SR2/SR3. Far too many young whippersnappers around for my taste. wink.gif

I also fondly remember Twilightrun. Some of the most intelligent articles about SR I'd read, at the time.
http://www.amurgsval.org/shadowrun/

Blackjack had the best NPCs though, by far.
Krypter
You know, I'm going to sound like a goddamn whiney old-timer here, but I still miss Nigel Findley's writing style and atmospherics.
ThatPaolo
Oh sweet, it's (kinda) working! smile.gif

Kick the tires at http://marcucci.homeserver.com/archive/ but be gentle...
Cain
A certain amount (I don't know exactly how much) of the Archive is availiable on the Wayback Machine. For those of you who missed it, you have to read the CLUE files!
Kliko
That's just so sweet love.gif ... especially the articles on Army Troops and Small Unit Tactics!

Hurrah!
Erl of Ingst
Wow, those C.L.U.E files are great, thanks!
Krypter
Good stuff. Thanks.
Link
Bravo Marco.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (Link @ Aug 29 2009, 09:01 AM) *
Bravo Marco.

Who? smile.gif
ThatPaolo
Just a thing, I'm starting a new project here, everyone is welcome to help smile.gif
Maelstrome
yaayyy.

now all we need is for everyone to see how great it all once was. maybe some will even convert some of it to sr4.

this is definitely a case of "ask and ye shall recieve".
Link
Marco Paolo? Paolo Marco-cucci? Who knows what I was thinking. smile.gif

Thanks for the site, it's around the earliest SR web material I recall perusing; circa Y2K.
Mr. Man
I would still like to see the old versions of this forum returned to the internet (as locked but searchable, of course).

Seems like a lot of the hassle could be taken out of this by running them inside VM's, although if they require old non-maintained versions of various other software (like PHP) that could be a challenge.

If that's not a problem though (or can be worked around), I imagine most issues could be headed off by simply scrambling all user passwords and disabling registration.
ThatPaolo
http://marcucci.homeserver.com/archive/
Method
Ha!! Predator Omega... rotfl.gif That brings back some memories...
darthmord
We really ought to get a group together to restart the C.L.U.E files. I'm certain that idiocy and cluelessness still abound in the shadows.
DV8
Long time no see, Paolo. How cool are you for putting that stuff back online!
Angelone
QUOTE (darthmord @ Sep 1 2009, 11:08 AM) *
We really ought to get a group together to restart the C.L.U.E files. I'm certain that idiocy and cluelessness still abound in the shadows.

Knasser started it up again awhile back, it's on his site. It petered out again. I'm sure with enough interest it could start up again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012