Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soundtrack
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Navarre
I know threads like this pop up all of the time (as recently as May, according to my search) but I think it's because they bear frequent revisitation.

So, the question is, what's on everyone's Shadowrun soundtrack?

For the record (no pun intended, really, honest) I've been training Pandora to play a Shadowrun soundtrack for me for several weeks, so it's possible that suggestions here will go into my Pandora seeds to further refine my Shadowrunnin' station. For those not familiar with Pandora, (I know it's been recommended here before) it is based on the Music Genome Project. You seed a station with one or more songs or artists, and it plays other songs based on similarity to those seeds. You can then give thumbs up or thumbs down to instruct the station on what you like and dislike.

My Shadowrun station is still a bit rough, but if you're interested in my vision of an SR soundtrack you can listen at:

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh105833272807433416

And if you like, you can start rating things on your own. That will create a clone of my station in your own profile, so it won't affect mine, and you can tailor your very own soundtrack.

Sorry. Didn't mean for this to turn into a Pandora add. On with the Shadowrun soundtrack recommendations. What's the new hotness in SR tunage?
Ancient History
Soft Machine, Silver Apples, Tom Waits, The Black Keys
Navarre
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 28 2009, 09:11 AM) *
Tom Waits

Good Call! I have an NPC dwarf mafioso in my street ganger campaign named Small Change. One guess where the inspiration came from. (And yes, he does carry a .38).
McAllister
Sir, you had to thumbs-down a lot of songs for this station, but the result is good! Thank you for sharing. Certainly I will tweak it, but I appreciate greatly the groundwork you laid.
explorator
Bauhaus, She Wants Revenge, Death from Above 1979, Fatboy Slim, Aesop Rock, Cibo Matto, Simian Mobile Disco, Ratatat, The Chemical Brothers
pbangarth
Hmmph. Pandora has 'licensing constraints' and doesn't serve Canada for the time being. I wonder if this is similar to the Facebook thing.
Method
Search Function. Its not just a band....

Oh wait. It's not a band at all... wink.gif
kanislatrans
the cruxshadows,sisters of mercy, Razed in Black, um, did I mention The Cruxshadows?(grin)
Navarre
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 28 2009, 05:57 PM) *
Search Function. Its not just a band....

Oh wait. It's not a band at all... wink.gif

I know, but like I said in the OP, I thought it might be worth revisiting. Plus I wanted to share the Pandora station, in case anyone was interested. I suppose I could have resurrected an old thread, but... I didn't.

Navarre
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 28 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Sir, you had to thumbs-down a lot of songs for this station, but the result is good! Thank you for sharing. Certainly I will tweak it, but I appreciate greatly the groundwork you laid.

No problem. I listen to it through the Pandora moblie app on my iPod touch, while I'm at work, so it's not too hard to hit the thumbs for almost every song. Helps me keep a lot of control over what's on there. I still get a lot of stuff that I'm not thrilled with, though.
McAllister
Yeah! Whenever I build stations like that, I get a lot of Manson. I keep it, because it's LIKE what I want to get more of and downing it all would give the wrong impression, but I skip it with some frequency.
McCummhail
Cruxshadow gets another bump. Fear Factory. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Anamanaguchi. Ken Ishii. Screw.

*Anal Cunt for Anarchistic Punk Rock mayhem. *Warning: 1 song may be too much for some.
Tyro
Garbage, Placebo, another bump for She Wants Revenge. Combichrist if you like industrial; it's pretty heavy stuff. REM. Rage Against the Machine.
stable_sort
Shadowrun is the '80s and early '90s at the latest. SR3 and prior exemplify this -- a credstick weighs in a 1 kg, a cellphone handset is also 1kg, a cd player is 2 kg, and a pocket secretary is 500g, and pagers still exist into the 2060s. SR4 screwed that up a little.

Soundtrackwise, that suggests KMFDM (already represented amongst your songs) and Psykosonik (early-to-mid '90s electronica with cyberpunk themes).
maeel
Soundtracks: crying freeman, aeon flux, GiS:Innocence
Bull
All I know is, if you don't have Queensryche, you fail smile.gif
Fezig
The feel of the setting loans itself to Industrial, Speed Metal, Hardcore, Punk, and other faster and more driving modes of music. A lot of music made in or inspired by the music of the mid to late 80's and early 90's definitely works. A few I haven't seen brought up yet would be:

Death by Stereo, Kid Dynamite, Murder City Devils, Sacred Steel.
Angelone
Apocalyptica, the rasmus, godsmack, godhead, rammstein, pitchshifter, the cruxshadows, she wants revenge, ozzy, white/rob zombie, sex pistols, guns and roses, zeromancer, neuroticfish, vnv nation, prodigy, crystal method, aphex twins, scooter, monster magnet, megadeth, razed in black, sunshine blind, violent femmes, carfax abbey, ministry, iron maiden, alice in chains, lordi, garbage, snake river conspiracy, social distortion
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Angelone @ Aug 29 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Apocalyptica, the rasmus, godsmack, godhead, rammstein, pitchshifter, the cruxshadows, she wants revenge, ozzy, white/rob zombie, sex pistols, guns and roses, zeromancer, neuroticfish, vnv nation, prodigy, crystal method, aphex twins, scooter, monster magnet, megadeth, razed in black, sunshine blind, violent femmes, carfax abbey, ministry, iron maiden, alice in chains, lordi, garbage, snake river conspiracy, social distortion

wow,you have just about described the playlist on my mp3 player... grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012