Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earthdawn to Shadowrun conversions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
Anyone know of any? We're coming to an interesting point next session and knowing my players, they are going to hop off the beaten track and get into an ATV with a barricade for clearing trees and go for a drive. I want something utterly bizarre to toss at them, and was hoping the rules had been switched over at some point? It doesn't look hard to do it myself, just a fair bit of work.

(I'm only just realising how hard the others had it when it was their turn to GM. It's like herding cats, except the cats are wet, angry and have teeth the size of your forearm.)
Heath Robinson
I'm sure the title explained your intent well to you, but do you want Earthdawn using Shadowrun's System, Shadowrun using Earthdawn's system, or to transition Earthdawn characters to Shadowrun characters?

Hey, I'm sure someone is still playing Earthdawn out there!
McCummhail
http://www.amurgsval.org/shadowrun/earthdawn.html
Here is some info.
The search function would also net you some info.
Hagga
Earthdawn using Shadowrun's system. We finished an ED game a while ago, so I was going to plant a few clues for when they start poking around and have a circle 8 drake Nethermancer lurking at the bottom of something that I just know they're going to go after to have them going "What the bloody hell?" They'll probably spot exactly what it is, but hey.

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Aug 29 2009, 03:10 AM) *
http://www.amurgsval.org/shadowrun/earthdawn.html
Here is some info.
The search function would also net you some info.

Search brought up nothing - funnily enough, I'm familiar with the feature. I'll use the few lines in "paragraph conversions" for a starting point, since it's something to go on. I know enough about the fluff that the rest is useless. Ta.
McCummhail
QUOTE (Hagga @ Aug 28 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Search brought up nothing - funnily enough, I'm familiar with the feature. I'll use the few lines in "paragraph conversions" for a starting point, since it's something to go on. I know enough about the fluff that the rest is useless. Ta.
I am interesting in what you come up with.

With a search I found this topic which discusses how to approach the conversion

More Specifics here.

A rules comparison with aim at conversion.

T'skrang conversion discussion

I think between those you should be able to make something work.
Search is your friend. Be sure to allow older posts.
Phylos Fett
I had some ED1 race conversions for SR2/3 that I could probably dig up, if you're interested - I'll have to dust off some old boxes - I think I was working on a full conversion back in the mid 90's (both ways).
fistandantilus4.0
I know for fact that there are some things out there, becuase I posted a few things few years back, and that conversation was referenced in another thread just like this one. Sadly, I'm shamefully pathetic at the search function. But at least you know it's out there.

What I found was easiest was to translate the characters as adepts or mystic adepts. Most of the ED Talents have some sort of Adept power or close equivelant. Melee weapons becomes Improved Ability, Durability becomes Mystic Armor, and so on. There are a few that require something a little more specialized or tweaked. Flame Arrow would be something more like the Elemental Strike, sans Killing Hands, and only works on arrows. Naturally it's all houseruled, so keep an open mind. But doing it this way, it goes over pretty well. Especially if you're using the rule for getting and Adept Magic Point at Initiation instead of a Metamagic.
McCummhail
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Aug 30 2009, 05:32 PM) *
I know for fact that there are some things out there, becuase I posted a few things few years back, and that conversation was referenced in another thread just like this one. Sadly, I'm shamefully pathetic at the search function. But at least you know it's out there.

What I found was easiest was to translate the characters as adepts or mystic adepts. Most of the ED Talents have some sort of Adept power or close equivelant. Melee weapons becomes Improved Ability, Durability becomes Mystic Armor, and so on. There are a few that require something a little more specialized or tweaked. Flame Arrow would be something more like the Elemental Strike, sans Killing Hands, and only works on arrows. Naturally it's all houseruled, so keep an open mind. But doing it this way, it goes over pretty well. Especially if you're using the rule for getting and Adept Magic Point at Initiation instead of a Metamagic.
Yeah!
The second post that I linked has the material you mentioned.
I have never played Earthdawn, but it looks really interesting.
The matrices are an interesting mechanic.
Hagga
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Aug 30 2009, 11:32 PM) *

That's hwat I've done. The vast majority of it doesn't do much for me, though, although I'd like to look at Darth Phylos' things and I am using the spell matrices metamagic as posted in one of those links. It's impossible to balance "no drain" for players but for a one off NPC it works fairly well. The drake conversion was a lot easier than I thought.

They (the players) did go off the track, get in their little tree-and-roadblock destroying ATV and go for a drive. As long as they keep going the way they think they are they're going to run smack bang into my little monstrosity.
fistandantilus4.0
Keep in mind htat there is in fact Drain in Earthdawn. It's called Raw Magic. The alternative is using threads through a matrix. An upgraded version of the Filtering Metamagic. The difference in SR would be multiple rounds to cast a single spell. That makes a world of difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012