Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mexicos drug cartels are Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Backgammon
I was reading an article in The Economist (sadl in print, so can't link to that) that was talking about the RL Mexican drug cartel known as La Familia.

Zomg, this is straight out of a Shadowrun plot, I tell ya. Here are some wiki articles:

La Familia
La Familia cartel is sometimes described as a "pseudo-evangelical cult" since its current leaders, Moreno González and Méndez Vargas, refer to their assassinations and beheadings as "divine justice" and that they may have direct or indirect ties with devotees of the New Jerusalem religious movement, which is noted for its concern for justice issues

Los Zetas (which is even MORE shadowrun... ex-special ops that turn drug dealers!)
The group was founded by former Mexican Army elite soldiers and is now formed by ex-federal, state, and local police officers, as well as ex-Kaibiles, bringing a total force of over 4000 men.
[...]
The group is extremely well armed, they wear body armor and some wear Kevlar ballistic helmets; their arsenal includes AR-15 and AK-47 rifles, MP5 submachine guns, 50 cal. machine guns, grenade launchers, surface-to-air missiles, dynamite and helicopters

You can't make this shit up.
Krypter
Except these guys are pure evil. They kill women and kids too. Kind of brings the ethical quandaries of Shadowrunning into clearer focus, doesn't it? Shadowrunners in SR are presented more as Robin Hoods than as drug-dealing, torturing, heartless, murdering thugs.
Matsci
QUOTE (Krypter @ Aug 30 2009, 08:24 AM) *
Except these guys are pure evil. They kill women and kids too. Kind of brings the ethical quandaries of Shadowrunning into clearer focus, doesn't it? Shadowrunners in SR are presented more as Robin Hoods than as drug-dealing, torturing, heartless, murdering thugs.

Depends on teh group.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Matsci @ Aug 30 2009, 10:50 AM) *
Depends on teh group.

He didn't say play, he said presented.

My agreement is hinged on the edition to which he refers.

BlueMax
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Krypter @ Aug 30 2009, 06:24 PM) *

that have to make a living selling their services to amoral corps or downright evil criminal syndicates, and risk being used as pawns in some great Machiavellian chess game...
Ravor
Not to mention that most of the "hooding" that I remember stems more from the Runner in question getting pissed off than any real aturism, I don't remember reading about very many charities that were run by the Runners. cyber.gif
hobgoblin
i suspect most charities got swamped into oblivion by the awakening.

and then there was that brotherhood issue...

all in all, i would say altruism i near forgotten in shadowrun...
Ravor
Exactly my point, Runners are not and never were the "good guys", at best they were the "less bad" guys.
Glyph
That's how nearly any anti-hero fantasy (the action movie kind) works, though. You have the ostensible anti-hero, who is gritty and sassy and bucks authority and does things his own way, grrrr. He does things everyone fantasizes about doing, like running someone off the road when they cut him off, or punching out that loud guy talking on the cellphone. But the opposition usually consists of loathsomely bad people - drug syndicates who mutilate people, serial killers, and other assorted utterly unsympathetic villains. So it's really easy to cheer for the anti-hero, because the bad(er) guys are such scumbags.

That's kind of how shadowrun can be, too. Shadowrunners are morally ambiguous grey hats who do questionable things for a living, but still try to fight corruption in their own way, still struggle to do the right thing (or at least the lesser of two evils), and hold on to a few tattered shreds of honor.
BlueMax
Glyph,

Please accept one internets.

BlueMax
Fuchs
Even criminals can do "good" things, but that doesn't stop them from being criminals.
Hunter_Maddox
I'd use the Cartels as examples of NPC criminal drug syndicates as I create them for my own game.
Warlordtheft
And remember it was the drug cartels that founded ORO-which became Aztechnology.

Also-in some instances the drug cartels do charity work to win over the local populace.
Ravor
Which ironicaly actually makes them better than Shadowrunners. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012