Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple Shadowrun n00b questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neb
I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered a thousand times, but I was unable to find answers after searching the forums.

First, are there costs listed for refueling vehicles?

Second, after character creation, is it possible to acquire negative qualities and new contacts via karma?

Thanks for any help.
Mantis
No cost for fuel for vehicles. If you have a high enough lifestyle, that will take care of one or more vehicles. Otherwise I suppose you could make up whatever you want.
Yes you can get new negative quailties and contacts but not through karma. You CAN get rid of negative qualities through karma. You can also buy new possitive qualities with GM permission through karma.
You just acquire contacts through roleplaying and as an award for a good mission. Check out some of the pre made adventures for some examples of contacts aquired this way.
Bugfoxmaster
you generally don't get any karma for negative qualities acquired during play - should your character start to run around in a pink jumpsuit with neon orange hair and diamond-encrusted shades, driving an ancient (by the 2070's) Corvette,, your GM is well within his/her rights to drop a 'Distinctive Style' or two on your ass - and he/she probably won't give you any karma for it. See similar results with getting a legitimate SIN while in play, or using a lot of drugs.

Of course, for the Style example, that's kind of expected in a Pink Mohawk game, so YMMV, based on your GM's rules.
Rasumichin
As far as the fuel issue is concerned, you could apply 1% of the vehicle's cost per month for upkeep (fuel, maintenance costs and so on) if the vehicle is not covered by the character's lifestyle (see the lifestyle descriptions for what kind of vehicle would be apropriate- a low lifestyle won't pay for a tricked out limo, while a high lifestyle would).

The SR3 Rigger book had detailed rules for fuel consumption, which you could adapt for your game if you're inclined towards a lot of micromanagement (fancy roleplayer term for tedious bookkeeping).
Neb
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 31 2009, 07:27 PM) *
micromanagement (fancy roleplayer term for tedious bookkeeping).

Heh. I'm a Shadowrunner n00b, not a roleplayer n00b.

These are pretty much the answers I was expecting, which is good; I'm really not fond of micromanaging equipment.
Warlordtheft
Also-alot of that cost can be subsumed into the lifestyle cost of the PC-so don't worry about the bar/fuel tab at medium or higher lifestyles (with exceptions). Lower lifestyles you might want to go with the 1% rule mentioned earlier.
Bugfoxmaster
Well, only a high or luxury lifestyle (in 4th edition - defined as any lifestyle with 20 points or more, from the Runner's Companion 'Advanced Lifestyles') has a car included in the lifestyle costs. If that's the case, I'd say that all costs related to maintenance and mechanics are taken care of by the lifestyle. On the other hand, if you buy a vehicle on your own, I'd say the thing from Rigger 3 should work fine, unless a GM says differently.
Ravor
Personally the way I read the lifestyle table is that you don't have to buy the actual car at those lifestyles, but unless you've been doing something "odd" I ignore fuel costs even at low lifestyle, just too much book keeping.
Hocus Pocus
welcome! i'm the offical sexy studly greeter

we greet you with open arms and tender KOTC
Bugfoxmaster
What?
Jaid
QUOTE (Bugfoxmaster @ Sep 4 2009, 06:42 PM) *
What?

KOTC is Kiss On The Cheek, if i had to make a guess.

(of course, i'm also guessing if that's what your what? is about)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 1 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Personally the way I read the lifestyle table is that you don't have to buy the actual car at those lifestyles, but unless you've been doing something "odd" I ignore fuel costs even at low lifestyle, just too much book keeping.

Agreed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012