Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver age Sentinels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

What would a superhero game in Shadowrun be like? I mean it has everything. Cartoony backdrop, OTT equipment and cars, magic, superpowers, cyborgs, and iconic characters.

So, besides Dr Strange what else would be good for Shadowrun to run a semi-serious superheroes game?
crash2029
In SR a superhero would be someone who rebels against the social norms by doing the right thing always. They would have to constantly walk the line between their morality and survival. A runner has the abilities to improve the lives of a great many. However, the altruistic runner must be aware that if they make big enough waves they will be targetted by an organization (syndicates, corps, political) that has the resources to make sure they do not walk away. The runner has to make sure they carefully choose their battles so as not to bite off more than they can chew, as it were. I see them still making a living as runners because as runners they have the freedom to make sure the contracts they take do not violate thier code.
Audious
Look at Deadpool.
Chrysalis
And yet comic books have monolithic companies and villains which do little to stop seuperheroes from thwarting them.
Neraph
Need I say Wolverine? Or really, any of the Marvel (I mean, Disney) characters?

Ironman could work, so can many of the Warhammer 40,000 character archetypes (Space Marine, Tau Fire Warrior, Eldar Warlock...).

Spiderman is easy - Spider Silk glands from Augmentation on an acrobatic unarmed character.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Sep 1 2009, 06:25 PM) *
What would a superhero game in Shadowrun be like?

Wait, SR isn't a superhero game?

No, seriously.
Think Watchmen, replace the Nixon administration with an appropriate corp, there you go.

Building a superhero under SR rules isn't that hard.
A sufficiently optimized character with enough karma and money under the hood can live up to superhero standards.
Just put him in spandex, give him a warped vigilante version of boy scout ethics and you're done.
Patrick Goodman
This subject has come up before. smile.gif It's also available in HTML if you prefer that to a PDF.
ShimmerGeek
Maybe a corp-sponsored Superhero team of "Runners"?
BobRoberts
QUOTE (ShimmerGeek @ Sep 2 2009, 02:55 PM) *
Maybe a corp-sponsored Superhero team of "Runners"?

One GM I had ran with the corp sponsored idea. The mysterious (and non trademark infringing) 'Manbat' - 'Saviour of Seattle'. Was a prime runner who kept showing up and messing with us poor runners. It tended to be non lethal force, gizmos, stunts and kung fu.

Turned out to be a filthy corporate ploy - was actually a series of spec ops goons wearing an outfit. Had lots of toys, a seriously nasty backup team and a good PR campaign. Think the main goals were interested in merchandising, piloting the idea for widespread release and embarassing Lone Star.

Was silly but fun. smile.gif Felt it fitted quite well into the dystopian corporate nastiness of Shadowrun?
SincereAgape
A superhero story set in the world of Shadowrun would feel more like Watchmen or Wanted.

Batman, Punisher, Hawkeye, and other non-powered superheroes would fit in very well, along with the Batman rogues.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Sep 1 2009, 07:21 PM) *
Wait, SR isn't a superhero game?

No, seriously.
Think Watchmen, replace the Nixon administration with an appropriate corp, there you go.

Building a superhero under SR rules isn't that hard.
A sufficiently optimized character with enough karma and money under the hood can live up to superhero standards.
Just put him in spandex, give him a warped vigilante version of boy scout ethics and you're done.

And without a certain blue man. Because no matter what people say about GD and IE, they are nothing compared to what Dr. Manhattan can do.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *
And without a certain blue man. Because no matter what people say about GD and IE, they are nothing compared to what Dr. Manhattan can do.

Yeah, Dr. Manhattan wouldn't work (the closest thing would be a high-force free spirit), but it would be quite easy to come up with the rest of the bunch.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Sep 3 2009, 11:02 AM) *
Yeah, Dr. Manhattan wouldn't work (the closest thing would be a high-force free spirit), but it would be quite easy to come up with the rest of the bunch.

Oh yeah, I can see a totally cybered Joker shooting people and laughing maniacally while doing it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012