Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the life imitating Shadowrun category...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demonseed Elite
Japan is building a solar energy collection satellite to beam power back down to Earth, much like they did in SR (though on a larger scale in SR).
ShimmerGeek
That. Is. Awesome. grinbig.gif

Now, if only Elves and Dwarves would start being born...
Fabe
It's about time someone tried that.
Mister Book
QUOTE (ShimmerGeek @ Sep 2 2009, 01:42 PM) *

Too late for us. Though I guess I wouldn't mind being an ork.
Kerrang
The US has already tested the microwave beaming technology on the ground, and will likely beat the Japanese to an orbital power station as well:
Solar Power from Space
Traul
And of course, if one can send electricity back to earth, one can focus the beam into a Thor shot... Might be even easier as it can use a lower orbit.
DarkKindness
QUOTE (ShimmerGeek @ Sep 2 2009, 08:42 AM) *

Need to wait another three years for that, chummer.

And, as has been pointed out, too late for us! I wouldn't mind being a troll, though, as long as I get to keep my Intuition and Logic scores grinbig.gif
Bugfoxmaster
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Sep 2 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Well, UGE might give us some luck, huh?
Or the awakening. Though I like the world roughly as it is now - could do without all the horseshit the sixth world seems to be mired in (giant scary wizard lizards, evil mages, massive racial bias and genocide, exploding presidents that happen to be the aforementioned wizard lizards)...
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (DarkKindness @ Sep 2 2009, 11:35 AM) *
Need to wait another three years for that, chummer.

And, as has been pointed out, too late for us! I wouldn't mind being a troll, though, as long as I get to keep my Intuition and Logic scores grinbig.gif

I can tell you from personal experience that metatype troll is not all it's cracked up to be. In any case this theory has beena round for a while. Personally I think it will be neat if they can pull it off.
ShimmerGeek
Imagine if a bunch of humanity did turn into Orks and Trolls...

You'd have millions of people panicking, thinking it's some deathly illness, while the Shadowrun fans just sit around going "S'cool... What's the big deal?"
Method
This would be awesome except in SR it's orbital microwave energy that enables Japan to return to it's aspirations of global imperialism. What this really means is if you live in the philipines, the pacific islands or San Francisco you're fuct.

And I thought the whole idea behind the thor shot was that it was an orbital mass that decimates a surface target based on sheer kinetic energy. I'm not sure what microwave energy has to do with it?
Traul
I was thinking about orbital lasers, which could employ close technology to this plant. But we won't be reading it in the news.
Krypter
This is all pie-in-the-sky nonsense. All these companies are doing is some basic research into microwave transmission at longer distances, and Japan is notoriously bad at space projects. They can't even get a small LEO orbital launcher operational after 40 years of trying.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (ShimmerGeek @ Sep 2 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Imagine if a bunch of humanity did turn into Orks and Trolls...

You'd have millions of people panicking, thinking it's some deathly illness, while the Shadowrun fans just sit around going "S'cool... What's the big deal?"

Next to te guy holding a "The end is nigh" sign, there would be a Shadowrun fan holding "Sixth World has arrived" sign...
I for one don't think I would like so much the Shadowrun world, I would probably be banished from my homeland by a bunch of amerindian shamans, feathered serpents and photossintetic elves.
Rayzorblades
The satellite gun idea reminds me of the one from AKIRA!
Lok1 :)
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Sep 2 2009, 03:45 PM) *

Not to late for me, I'm 15 and I was born with pointed ears (ok ear). devil.gif I kid you not, it was ruled of as a birth defect but I suspect that I'll never age.
I'll snap a pick later and post as proof. proof.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Sep 2 2009, 05:31 AM) *
Japan is building a solar energy collection satellite to beam power back down to Earth, much like they did in SR (though on a larger scale in SR).

What if they miss the receptor?
LurkerOutThere
Ever played sim city 3000?

Erl of Ingst
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Sep 2 2009, 09:37 PM) *
Not to late for me, I'm 15 and I was born with pointed ears (ok ear). devil.gif I kid you not, it was ruled of as a birth defect but I suspect that I'll never age.

I'm pretty sure they are referring to elves and dwarves being born, not spontaneously changing.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Sep 3 2009, 09:17 AM) *
I'm pretty sure they are referring to elves and dwarves being born, not spontaneously changing.

Pre-spike-half-elf. Not as popular at Star trek conventions as one might think.- biggrin.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 3 2009, 10:24 AM) *
Pre-spike-half-elf. Not as popular at Star trek conventions as one might think.- biggrin.gif

Which half is the elf half? grinbig.gif
Kerenshara
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. is probably what beacme Mitsuhama Computer Technologies in the 6th World, and for a reason. People don't seem to grasp (outside Japan) just how HUGE that company is.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Mitsubishi is gargantuan to quote the game that shall not be named. They were huge during WWII and became gargantuan during post-war. It truly is a megacorp, they have their fingers on all the pies they can see.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mister Book @ Sep 2 2009, 10:45 AM) *

Drake for me, thank you~
pbangarth
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Sep 2 2009, 11:37 PM) *

What a breath of boreal-forest-scented air you are, Lok1:)!

But... what if only the pointy-eared half of you doesn't age?
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 3 2009, 05:50 PM) *
What a breath of boreal-forest-scented air you are, Lok1:)!

But... what if only the pointy-eared half of you doesn't age?

Than my right side will outlive you all and 50-60 years from now I'll pined down in a firefight with a shiawase securty team with you all neatly burried away either from old age or VITAS. (If my left side age's I'll just cyber it up.
darthmord
Heh, I would not be surprised to find myself an elf. Granted, I'm 34 now but if I shave, I look like I'm in my early to mid 20s. I have rounded tip but otherwise rather pointy ears. All my kids have even pointier ears than I do. I'm rather tall too (much taller than a typical human male).

My luck, I'll probably SURGE into an Elf.

But honestly, it's not surprising to find that reality is borrowing from fiction. The good fiction is based on sound realistic principles. Hence we have Star Trek communicators and tricorders (cell phones & PDAs anyone?). Tesla and others like him were doing things that are all but magical by current understanding.
Draco18s
QUOTE (darthmord @ Sep 4 2009, 10:08 AM) *
But honestly, it's not surprising to find that reality is borrowing from fiction. The good fiction is based on sound realistic principles. Hence we have Star Trek communicators and tricorders (cell phones & PDAs anyone?). Tesla and others like him were doing things that are all but magical by current understanding.

Don't forget that Star Trek invented black holes. Mostly. They were predicted by Einstein (who said that they couldn't possibly exist, even if his equations said they could) but Star Trek named them.

Conversely, there is a short story out there about how to solve the depletion of fossil fuels called The Roads Must Roll (the roads themselves moved, moving people who stood on them at 40, 60, and 80 mph--no reason is given as to how the roads are powered).
Erl of Ingst
I'm thinking that life doesn't imitate sci-fi, but both imitate the human imagination and human desire.
klavis
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2009, 03:57 AM) *
What if they miss the receptor?

The energy that is being sent down is basically harmless, once it is received it is then converted into something useful. At least that is how it was explained in an article last year when the US military was looking into using the technology to be able to focus energy into remote locations. They said it was finally financially viable (as a military option, the know how to do this has been around for decades) so if they ever get that working eventually it will be viable commercially.
nylanfs
Powersat by Ben Bova
Tachi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 4 2009, 11:45 AM) *
Conversely, there is a short story out there about how to solve the depletion of fossil fuels called The Roads Must Roll (the roads themselves moved, moving people who stood on them at 40, 60, and 80 mph--no reason is given as to how the roads are powered).

VERY old idea, check out some of Robert Heinlein's "World as Myth multiverse" books. I can't remember all the ones that have this in them, but, I do remember that "To Sail Beyond the Sunset" does mention them, as well as the fact that they would be VERY LOUD.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tachi @ Sep 7 2009, 07:50 AM) *
VERY old idea, check out some of Robert Heinlein's "World as Myth multiverse" books. I can't remember all the ones that have this in them, but, I do remember that "To Sail Beyond the Sunset" does mention them, as well as the fact that they would be VERY LOUD.

You missed the obvious issue: standing up in an 80 MPH wind.
Tachi
No, I didn't, because in my experience with the idea, the rolling roads were something you drove your car onto.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tachi @ Sep 7 2009, 02:26 PM) *
No, I didn't, because in my experience with the idea, the rolling roads were something you drove your car onto.

No no, see, the earth doesn't have any more fuel to power the car, so instead the roads move and you just kinda stand on them ah la Moving Sidewalk.
Stahlseele
Breaking News, Trode-Net/DNI has become Gaming-Equipment!
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_...mpulse_actuator
SHIT! I want one of those....
If only I had the 100$
Stahlseele
only 100$?
That's like 50€ O.o
Damn that is CHEAP!
Combine with P5 Glove and Cinema-Glasses or maybe REAL Virtual-Gove/Helmet-Combo and it should be pretty sweet i imagine o.O
Draco18s
Wow, that's the cheapest I've seen that type of device.

However, I do know that they aren't terribly accurate yet. One company has something like 63 different output signals and they only know what about 5 of them are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012