Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hurting Magic...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Legs
I want to incorporate these alternative Magic rules...

If you glitch while resisting physical damage, you can lose magic. If you glitch while using a stim patch you can lose magic. If another character providing medical treatment glitches during a success test, you can lose magic, etc.

So anyone use these? If so, what are teh specifics? How much do you lose? WHAT exactly do you lose? That sort of thing.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Legs @ Sep 3 2009, 01:00 PM) *
I want to incorporate these alternative Magic rules...

If you glitch while resisting physical damage, you can lose magic. If you glitch while using a stim patch you can lose magic. If another character providing medical treatment glitches during a success test, you can lose magic, etc.

So anyone use these? If so, what are teh specifics? How much do you lose? WHAT exactly do you lose? That sort of thing.

These rules are variants and/or hold-overs from older editions. They represent a level of grittiness that is so high it would actively discourage anybody who wanted to play any form of Awakened character (Especially if you went with all of them: "I stubbed my toe in the dark, that's a glitch, damn! Now I can't cast spells any more... can I make a Street Samurai instead?). I like to keep magic a bit more reigned in at my tables, but this is going a bit too far. To make things fair, you'd have to apply them to Technomancers as well.
Maelstrome
may i inquire as to why you wish to do this?
Stahlseele
'cause magicians suck and have it too easy anyway i hope ^^
Kerenshara
See the separate thread I just started on a more... effecient way to reign in Munchie Mages.
otakusensei
It's way cheaper to make an adapt instead of a street sam, plus you can still go through the metal detector at the airport. For that reason I usually have a handful of them at my table when we start a game. I've even had to put a limit on the number of full mages and adapts after running a game where out of six people, only one was fully mundane.

IF you want to use these rules, limit the loss to either 1 full point or .1 point depending on how harsh you want it to be. Glitches happen, and magic doesn't some back. Keep that in mind as you decide. It's also fair to apply this to technomancers as well.
Kerrang
The only one I would agree with would be stimpatches, and maybe you should consider critical glitches instead of simple glitches.

I did like the way stimpatches caused problems for mages in previous editions, keeps the mages from abusing them as a way to deal with drain. On the other hand, it opened up other abuses at my table, such as players trying to slap stim patches on opposing mages. One of them even got the bright idea to use a slingshot to do this without having to get too close to the mage, needless to say, they never actually succeeded at applying a stimpatch this way.
otakusensei
Saw that happen back in second, only it was DMSO rounds. I was glad to see the restriction lifted in 4th and have made use of them ever since. The -2 dice penalty to perform first aid on a mage or TM seems to have basically replaced it though.

Would make sense to toss the rule back in for a grittier game, again it should apply to TMs as well.
Legs
I want to play up the preciousness of magic, that's why I'd like to incoporate some of these rules.

Also, I really dislike Technomages and don't have any playing in my game, or i'd include them in this rule too.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 3 2009, 01:30 PM) *
These rules are variants and/or hold-overs from older editions. They represent a level of grittiness that is so high it would actively discourage anybody who wanted to play any form of Awakened character (Especially if you went with all of them: "I stubbed my toe in the dark, that's a glitch, damn! Now I can't cast spells any more... can I make a Street Samurai instead?). I like to keep magic a bit more reigned in at my tables, but this is going a bit too far. To make things fair, you'd have to apply them to Technomancers as well.

In the older editions, the magic loss from damage rule wasn't "I stubbed my toe, now I lose magic", it was "I got shot in the face with an autocannon, now I lose magic". I believe you were only eligible to lose magic if you took Deadly damage. And frankly, I don't have a problem with any of it.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 3 2009, 03:47 PM) *
In the older editions, the magic loss from damage rule wasn't "I stubbed my toe, now I lose magic", it was "I got shot in the face with an autocannon, now I lose magic". I believe you were only eligible to lose magic if you took Deadly damage. And frankly, I don't have a problem with any of it.

Apologies; I was saying that it sounded like the OP was suggesting that "I stubbed my toe, now I lose MAGic" was what they were heading for... with a slight amount of hyperboly snuck in by yours truly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012