Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat Sense
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
I'm building a cyber-adept rigger, and I want to know if combat sense helps with rigging (drone or otherwise).
Jaid
that's a good question. my initial impulse is to say no, but i see no reason you couldn't have a version of it that works in vehicles.
Tyro
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 3 2009, 02:35 PM) *
that's a good question. my initial impulse is to say no, but i see no reason you couldn't have a version of it that works in vehicles.

Based on RAW it would seem to work.
X-Kalibur
Magic doesn't work thru machines. If you're rigged in, even in Hot-Sim, you're still not in your magically infused body, so no. Just like Mystic armor wouldn't work either, or improved reflexes.
otakusensei
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 3 2009, 05:44 PM) *
Magic doesn't work thru machines. If you're rigged in, even in Hot-Sim, you're still not in your magically infused body, so no. Just like Mystic armor wouldn't work either, or improved reflexes.

Technically you are still in your body, just using a system of complicated sensory extension devices. However I can't see that sense, related to your body and where it's at, extending into the consensual hallucination of the matrix. It would however give you a bonus to catch someone sneaking up on you while you're jacked in.
Veggiesama
"The character gains one die per level for Reaction on Surprise Tests and when defending against ranged and melee attacks."

Since you don't use Reaction when rigging or remote-controlling drones (you use Response and Command, respectively), you don't get the bonus from Combat Sense.

If you are manually driving a vehicle, and you defend against a ranged attack, then you get your Combat Sense bonus. Vehicle defense is Reaction +/- Handling (+ Vehicle skill for full defense / evasive driving).
Kerenshara
I would go one step further and simplify:

All Adept powers affect your own body, so any action taken which does not directly affect your body is excluded. That gets a little gray with Improved Ability, especially if it's applied to Decking, but there they essentially say it's you pushing buttons and it's up to the software from there. But in this particular case, it's a "sense" that is in regards to your own body, and therefore would not work when you are "in" another body. Now, if somebody was going to attack your MEAT body suddenly, I might give you a chance to Jack Out to react based on the power, but that's not what you were asking at all.

But I completely agree it does NOT help you when jumped in.

>>Edit<<

Wow, that was pretty incoherent, even for me.

How about we use the Adept Atunement Metamagic Power as an example? Only skills taken in your own body can apply, so anything done through AR or VR is exempted when applying "bonuses", whereas Improved Ability is modifying the underlying skill not providing a bonus.

OK, I think that's a LITTLE less awkward. Maybe.

>>End Edit<<
Tyro
Okay, I can see your point. I reverse my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012