Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scorpion Spirit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phelan Patrick
Love the idea of the mantid spirit but want to do a scorpion version. Any tips or ideas you guys can share?
Omenowl
Give it the venom power, energy drain as a mantid spirit, and an enhanced sense tremor sense since it feels vibrations through the ground.
Kerenshara
Well, I'm not sure a scorpion is technically an "insect".

As a NON-thread mentor spirit, actually, that has some interesting aspects, depening on the tradition/culture you're using for reference.
Chrome Tiger
Yeah, scorpions are arachnids like spiders. Which are actually not insects. Though I do not see why there cannot be a mentor spirit of one.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Chrome Tiger @ Sep 3 2009, 11:03 PM) *
Yeah, scorpions are arachnids like spiders. Which are actually not insects. Though I do not see why there cannot be a mentor spirit of one.

That's what I was actually thinking.
ShadowPavement
If I remember corectly there was a scorpion totem spirit write up in the old California Free State book.
Chrome Tiger
Oh! Pavement's right! *digdigdigskimskimskim* Page 143 in CalFree.
Jaid
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 3 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Well, I'm not sure a scorpion is technically an "insect".

that didn't stop them from making spider 'insect spirit' type critters, though, why let it stop someone from making scorpion versions if it fits in their game?
Kerrang
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 4 2009, 09:53 AM) *
that didn't stop them from making spider 'insect spirit' type critters, though, why let it stop someone from making scorpion versions if it fits in their game?

Just curious, where are those found?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 4 2009, 11:53 AM) *

They go squish under my shoe just as easily as an insect, so I don't see why not.
Falconer
Yeah, we need more arachnids!

Lets get the insect-arichnid war going into full swing!!!

Wasp spirits going after the spider spirits. Spiders going after the flies... lord knows where the scorpions and crabs fit into this pecking order!

Once we get to crabs, why not fish... since we surely need some sturgeon spirits crunching on crabs. Once fish, we need shark spirits. While we're at it, we'll just get the entire diversity of animals and plants all as their own possession spirits to take over the mundane world.

Just having fun w/ the slippery slope here... scorpion is kinda unique (definate a great idea for a mentor spirit), but I don't know how they fit into things as a bug spirit. (and haven't seen any spider spirits in SR4 yet) The bugs have a whole alien mindset 'hive mind' thing going for them... I'm not sure how well scorps fit into that though.

ShadowPavement
Actually... an underground totem war between the arachnid and insect spirits and magicians would be a great plot idea.
Jaid
QUOTE (Kerrang @ Sep 4 2009, 12:03 PM) *
Just curious, where are those found?

it's one of the novels... secrets of power trilogy i think? also, a gang is hinted at as being inhabited by spider spirits iirc, it's the gang that isn't all women that hunts insect spirits. as i recall, the gang name actually has the word spider in it... one sec, i think they're mentioned in seattle 2072 somewhere...

(quick check: page 186, mentioned in the entry on desolation angels. note the implication that they're inhabited by spider spirits, if any, is not in seattle 2072... it's in an older book from a previous edition iirc)

in other news, twist also beats up a mentor spirit.

more info:

ctrl + f for 'spider' on this page
same for urdli here
same for uluru here

edit:

on a side note, i just couldn't resist...

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly (spirit),
I don't know why she swallowed a fly (spirit),
Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old woman who swallowed a spider (spirit),
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly (spirit),
I don't know why she swallowed the fly (spirit),
Perhaps she'll die.

Kerenshara
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 4 2009, 12:27 PM) *
They go squish under my shoe just as easily as an insect, so I don't see why not.

Those are either relatively small scorpions or awfully big feet! I was thinking of the larger "tarantula scale" scorpions, and I can't see one of those "squishing" that easily.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 4 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Those are either relatively small scorpions or awfully big feet! I was thinking of the larger "tarantula scale" scorpions, and I can't see one of those "squishing" that easily.

Yeah... Some of the Ones in the Persian Gulf were "fricking" Huge...
and no... there were no lasers...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 4 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Yeah... Some of the Ones in the Persian Gulf were "fricking" Huge...
and no... there were no lasers...

Oh, that last part is just baaaaaaaad.

I almost feel myself Transforming in disgust.

*wink*
hobgoblin
was there not a spider spirit that got a bitch slap from the great ghost dance?

as for females inhabited by spider spirits, gives new meaning to "black widow"...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 5 2009, 03:46 AM) *
was there not a spider spirit that got a bitch slap from the great ghost dance?

as for females inhabited by spider spirits, gives new meaning to "black widow"...

Spider is a common - and respected - totem in many cultures.
Angier
QUOTE (Phelan Patrick @ Sep 4 2009, 03:59 AM) *
Love the idea of the mantid spirit but want to do a scorpion version. Any tips or ideas you guys can share?

I'd go with an animal spirit lookalike. They got the venom power.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 4 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Oh, that last part is just baaaaaaaad.

I almost feel myself Transforming in disgust.

*wink*

What? You don't like your Scorpions to have "Frickin Lasers" on the heads?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 5 2009, 11:40 AM) *
What? You don't like your Scorpions to have "Frickin Lasers" on the heads?

Or missle launchers in their claws? Or the ability to burrow through sand at 20 kph? No.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 10:31 AM) *
Or missle launchers in their claws? Or the ability to burrow through sand at 20 kph? No.

Ahhhhhh... I now see the disconnect...
You dont like Transformers...
Sad... I was referring to Austin Powers.... Obviously I was not clear enough...

For what is it worth... I am not a big transformers fan myself... and the Scorpions WERE (and are) huge in the Gulf

*smile*
Kerenshara
Yeah, I figured you were making a Scoponok (sp?) reference. On the other hand, finding out you were making an AUSTIN bloody POWERS reference isn't any better... in fact, I think it might even be worse.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (skolapper @ Sep 5 2009, 12:53 PM) *
I dun understand why its not street Legal for non-vtecs. Thats the reason why I nver placed order for the end can. .

Now that u guys mentioned Scorpion is Akra....im more sad now...

*boggles*

That didn't parse. Could you please try again?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 10:50 AM) *
Yeah, I figured you were making a Scoponok (sp?) reference. On the other hand, finding out you were making an AUSTIN bloody POWERS reference isn't any better... in fact, I think it might even be worse.

Yes, it definitely could be worse... but then again, I just want my "fricken Laser beams,"... "throw me a bone, I'm the boss"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 11:06 AM) *
*boggles*

I know that I am confused...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 5 2009, 01:09 PM) *
Yes, it definitely could be worse... but then again, I just want my "fricken Laser beams,"... "throw me a bone, I'm the boss"

I am SO not going there.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 11:10 AM) *
I am SO not going there.

Oh well..... *sigh*
Jaid
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 02:06 PM) *
*boggles*

i'm going to speculate it has something to do with this:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ei=N...ech&spell=1

which is not to say i have the slightest idea where he's coming from...

[edit] actually, now that i look at it more closely... i'm going to posit that you may find that this would hint at a possible answer...
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 5 2009, 07:24 PM) *
[edit] actually, now that i look at it more closely... i'm going to posit that you may find that this would hint at a possible answer...

OK that second cartoon was pretty funny... and really bad.
Jaid
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 5 2009, 08:06 PM) *
OK that second cartoon was pretty funny... and really bad.

in general, i really like XKCD. entertaining webcomic.

the point, of course, was that a rather new account just randomly (3 days after they signed up, apparently) posted in a thread about scorpion spirits, and started randomly talking about what appears to be a modification to a scorpion kit...

which to me, makes me wonder if they're an adbot. (hence the link to that specific comic)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012