Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A real way to rebuild the south after Katrina
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bladerunner
Not sure if people saw this, but it's worth a look

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/08/17/heavenly-abode/

Khyron
Neat design but it's not going to happen. It's cost prohibitive, the land isn't right for building something like that in the longterm and most of the people that were displaced by the hurricane wouldn't be able to afford to live there anyways not to mention there is no housing or space shortage right now. Arcologies aren't entirely feasible in the US right now. The best place to build one at the moment would be Japan where space *is* at premium.
DWC
It's gigantic, terribly inefficiently designed, ugly as fuck, and would be crushed under the weigh of injunctions from a swarm of special interest groups claiming that it was an attempt to lock away the "undesirable poor" of New Orleans someplace where the rest of the city didn't have to see or deal with them.

Did I mention that it's ugly?
Ravor
Aye, my first thought was, "God, what a waste of perfectly usable space."
Hocus Pocus
don't forget, down here the politicians are some of the most corrupt. So you need to greese the palms of many a representatives.
Bladerunner
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or the business man and politician with the cash. I'd agree that Japan would be way more likely to get an arc before anywhere US side would. I posted more as something that caught my eye and reminded me that had Katrina happened in the late 2050's, Louisiana could have had it's own ACHE building issues.

Sponge
How long after it's built until someone puts giant numbers (1-4) in the corners of the triangular faces... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012